Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #422 of 1,493
Definitely an option. In fact, I’m considering this cable from Forza. I just happen to like my Meze Empyrean copper upgrade cable and would be happy to have the same cable for Liric.
I have this very cable in production now from @Matez , finished in Furutech terminations both at the cups and on plug. I've had a few Claire Hybrids and they're fantastic portable cables while also sounding great. Plus, the semi-transparent black finish goes very nicely with the Liric if you ask me. Here's an example with a mini XLR termination:

P1100012.JPG

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #423 of 1,493
I'd still like to see some graphs but I think i'm going to pull the trigger and buy a Liric to compliment my VC. I've got the perfect cable to pair with it already and after I sell my Radiance im halfway there for the trade up value.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #424 of 1,493
Well the build quality is great on the Liric, as well as the other Meze headphones, it's the only company that compares to the Z1R in my opinion (haven't seen LCD-5 and Abyss stuff). You can tell the Liric are portable headphones since the pads are pretty compact (think "thin" not "narrow"). They don't isolate external noise as well, it's closer to having open backs than the Z1R in my opinion.
The headband seems a lot more durable on the Liric, since it's a textile material on the interior, whereas my on the Z1R the leather on the interior of the headband has cracked after 5 years of daily use. They look like they were made to last in rougher environments than the Z1R.
Both of them scream quality compared to the rest of the industry imo. Both the Liric and the Elite make you want to own them from a build quality perspective alone. Rolex level attention to detail. The case for the Liric is also gorgeous, as well as the cups. The build quality puts Susvara and other flagships to shame.
One thing to note is that while i'm at 6/10 adjustments on the Z1R, i have to extend the Liric almost to the maximum level.
I didn't end up keeping the Liric , but hope a flagship level closed back will follow soon.
Thanks for this. I wondered if the isolation was enough to use in a crowded or noisy environment. 🙏

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #425 of 1,493
Thanks for this. I wondered if the isolation was enough to use in a crowded or noisy environment. 🙏
While the passive noise isolation is not perfect, i found it's ok to use the liric while tv is playing at normal sound level on the background and i couldn't hear any tv noise while music is playing.

My personal experience is that it's actually much better to use anc headphone in noisy environments such as in flight or in train as it's hard to block out the low frequency noise passively which anc nowadays could deal with quite effectively.
In noisy environments, i find noise mitigation is usually more beneficial to music enjoyment than the absolute sound quality of the headphone.

just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #426 of 1,493
While the passive noise isolation is not perfect, i found it's ok to use the liric while tv is playing at normal sound level on the background and i couldn't hear any tv noise while music is playing.
I agree, it's fine with content playing, not as good as with the Z1R and Oppo Pm-3 i've had, but they Liric also don't get as hot as those do, or clamp as hard. And they don't leak sound anymore than Z1R, surprisingly.
My personal experience is that it's actually much better to use anc headphone in noisy environments such as in flight or in train as it's hard to block out the low frequency noise passively which anc nowadays could deal with quite effectively.
In noisy environments, i find noise mitigation is usually more beneficial to music enjoyment than the absolute sound quality of the headphone.

just my 2 cents.
Completely agree. I'd use the Liric in a noisy office/coffee shop maybe since ANC is bad at blocking out voices anyway. But for the street, planes, trains, etc, i'd rather use anc headphones as well.

The thing that most surprised me about the Liric is that they are harder to drive than it seems : the Z1R are 64 ohms and 100 db/mw and the Liric are 30 ohms and 100db/mw. Yet i had to turn Dave up 8-12 db to get similar listening volumes. Which makes no sense to me if the measurements are accurate.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #429 of 1,493
Is the headband and the front of the cups real leather?

The headband is real leather. The earcup is PU leather.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 1, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #430 of 1,493
The headband is real leather. The earcup is PU leather.
and the best is, you can‘t see your own fingerprinds on the earcups 😉

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #431 of 1,493
this headphone is 100% more beautiful than the elite in actual. The leather headband looks premium. yup it is a stunner.
I agree. The Elite looks a little "tacky" in comparison to the O.G. Empyrean, LIRIC, and even the Meze 99 Classics. The chrome that's used on the Elite is too close in color to silver, sadly.

In any case, the LIRIC is one of the best-looking headphones on the market, IMO.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #432 of 1,493
What’s the difference in build quality between the Z1R, Z7m2 and Liric?
The LIRIC, the MDR-Z1R, and the MDR-Z7M2 certainly share a fair number of similarities in the aspects of build and comfort. They are all light, supremely comfortable to use (for extended periods), and are understated yet brilliant in design (a subjective factor, of course). The pads on all 3 headphones remain plush, thick, yet soft in daily use. I'd agree with @adrianm's assessment of the headband, though - the LIRIC's appear to be slightly more durable. Of course, one can only surmise its durability in comparison to the twin Sony headphones; it's been only a month or so, since its release, after all. Nevertheless, fresh out of the box, I'd give the longevity award to the LIRIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back