MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #2,986 of 5,566
I been using Tidal for a long time. Always stuck to it as I thought it had a little better album selection than Qobuz. Sound quality wise I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

My Tidal subscription was coming to an end so I decided to give Qobuz another go but this time with the Elites. And what a revelation! Welcome Dynamics. Qobuz has way more dynamic range than Tidal and this is so clear to listen to on the Elites. I also thought the Qobuz app is better than the Audirvana app. The Dynamic range just disappears on Audirvana.
I tried both and I cannot tell a difference between the two, even with my Elites.
For me, the navigation is so much easier on Tidal that even if the sound quality was slightly better on Qobuz, I would still stick with Tidal .

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #2,987 of 5,566
The 109Pro official thread is finally HERE.

As our first dynamic open-back headphone, the 109Pro is powered by a 50 mm dynamic driver, this headphone is a demonstration of our commitment to go beyond the faithful reproduction of sound to deliver pure emotion. At the heart of the headphone is the 109 series Dual-Composites diaphragm featuring a Beryllium-coated semicrystalline polymer torus, a cellulose-carbon fiber composite dome and a copper-zinc alloy ring stabilizer. This is an all-new design that sounds nothing like our previous dynamic headphones.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-15 at 17.31.28.jpeg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 15, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #2,988 of 5,566
I tried both and I cannot tell a difference between the two, even with my Elites.
For me, the navigation is so much easier on Tidal that even if the sound quality was slightly better on Qobuz, I would still stick with Tidal .
For me the biggest upgrade in Hi-fi was Roon :) I was using Tidal before that as well. Roon Radio is absolutely priceless. 99% of my library came from it. I'd go back to Airpods pro before I'd go back to not using it.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #2,990 of 5,566
Anyone have a recommendation on upgrade cables for Elites?
Upgrade for the "fantastic" stock cable? Then literally ANY aftermarket cable, both in case of ergonomics and sound

But if you are looking for something popular and with generally positive feedback, then Meze upgrade cables are worth trying. Forza Audioworks Noir and Noir Hybrid are also beautiful cables with great ergonomics and are generally praised here. Some people recommended Lavricables but I haven't tried them with Meze (and you must like pure silver)

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #2,992 of 5,566
Hi dears! I'm new to the forum community, I'm very pleased to join.
I'm about to complete the purchase for the Empyrean Elite within this morning a.g.w. :)
I recall having read several posts before that some of you have some discomfort using the hybrid pads from the Elite. Is there any leather aftermarket pads available? I mean, I guess I couldn't use the ones which Meze sell for the Empyrean model, right?
Thanks,

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #2,993 of 5,566
Some people recommended Lavricables but I haven't tried them with Meze (and you must like pure silver)
I'm on my second Lavri Grand and It's a noticeable upgrade over the silver plated Meze cable Imo. Bigger soundstage, better clarity. It's at least like going from the stock cable to the Silver plated Meze cable.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #2,994 of 5,566
Hi dears! I'm new to the forum community, I'm very pleased to join.
I'm about to complete the purchase for the Empyrean Elite within this morning a.g.w. :)
I recall having read several posts before that some of you have some discomfort using the hybrid pads from the Elite. Is there any leather aftermarket pads available? I mean, I guess I couldn't use the ones which Meze sell for the Empyrean model, right?
Thanks,
This is the first time i've heard complaints about Meze comfort. They're the most comfortable headphones i've ever tried, and the stock pads are great. They also have a proprietary magnet system for quick change so I'm not sure if there are aftermarket options out there.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #2,995 of 5,566
This is the first time i've heard complaints about Meze comfort. They're the most comfortable headphones i've ever tried, and the stock pads are great. They also have a proprietary magnet system for quick change so I'm not sure if there are aftermarket options out there.
Hi adrianm,
Thanks a lot for your prompt response. I didn't mean the Elite is uncomfortable, it's actually the comfort which made me take the final decission to purchase the Elite :wink:
If I recall correctly, someone posted that in some cases your ear can touch the inner pads forcing you to readjust the fit, which might be caused for the thinner/smaller hybrid pads against the bigger leather pads from the Empyrean.

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #2,996 of 5,566
I have both the Forza Noir hybrid and the Lavricables Grand Silver. Both cables are excellent. The Grand has a slightly more open character to me with increased slam with the Elites. The Noir is slightly smoother. It is simply about preference though.
You would notice a significant upgrade over stock with either cable.
I do consider the Forza cable a bargain though. I use two of these, one balanced and one SE, with my Verite Closed, preferring them over the Grand.

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2,997 of 5,566
On the more affordable side:
Meze Silver plated upgrade cable.
Forza Noire Hybrid
Norne Vygarde.

If you want the best regardless of price then the Norne flagships are my recommendation.
Vykari
Silvergarde S4 8-wire

Could be that the flagships are out of stock tho.

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #2,998 of 5,566
The hybrid pads are 25mm deep. If you have big-ish ears then they may touch the metal grill of the pads. My right ear is slightly larger than left, and it can sometimes just slightly touch the grill, but I can easily stop that by slight adjustments of the pad against my jaw line. The 30mm deep alcantara pads don't have this issue, but most people (including me) prefer the sound of the hybrid pads (they sound surprisingly different). I prefer the feel of alcantara against my skin (more of that below), but OTOH the hybrids look much sleeker and stylish in the Elite frame. Pros and cons. Overall I prefer the hybrids, but as someone posted (@betula from memory) I'd love Meze to come out with new pads that combined the strengths of both.

According to some earlier posts, the Empyrean leather pads are not a viable option because they sound significantly worse on the Elite.
I've not heard of any aftermarket pads available for the Elites and I doubt that any would appear any time soon - due to the unique construction and magnetic attachment.

My final point is very much personal taste. The hybrid pads are beautifully finished with the finest supple leather. Some people love the feel of leather against their skin, but I'd rather have alcantara or fabric that's warmer and less "sweaty". Which is why I find my HEKse's more comfortable than the Elites, despite the cheap-as-chips HEK hybrid pads being very poorly constructed with artificial leather and fabric - but that soft fabric feels nicer against my skin.

In short, the Elites are very comfortable compared to most headphones, but IMO could be made to be even more comfortable with a few detail changes.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #2,999 of 5,566
Coming up on the 6 month mark with my Elites (Dark Mystery Edition), and have just this to report- I'm glad I made the upgrade from the Empyreans. The original Empys sounded absolutely wonderful to me for the majority of music, but there were use cases (especially busy music, gaming) that I felt the Empys came up a little short compared to other headphones I have tried (even on the less expensive end). In retrospect, what I found wanting in the OG Empys was not so much the resolution per se (especially after I upgraded the cable and DAC/Amp), but the limitations in speed and separation of the driver were apparent to me.

Basically echoing my original impressions here, with the Elite you give up the mid-bass that still makes the Empy unique, but the trade-off is well worth it, especially if like me, you're somewhat of a minimalist and want to primarily use one set of headphones. I find that the Elites are merely solid to mundanely fantastic at literally everything I can throw at them, with wonderful soundstage, separation, and clarity (without ever been too bitey on some of the harsher music I listen to).

As Lachlan mentioned in some of his reviews, the Elites are particularly great at gaming, they have a wide, convincing soundstage and directional sound (I catch myself reacting to noises as real in games all the time), and seem to faithfully reproduce sound in all registers that just makes the experience very compelling.

At times, I almost feel guilty wearing such an expensive set of headphones for everyday use, but I really don't want to use anything else. I have absolutely no qualms, no regrets, and no doubts about what I spent my money on here.

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #3,000 of 5,566
Coming up on the 6 month mark with my Elites (Dark Mystery Edition), and have just this to report- I'm glad I made the upgrade from the Empyreans. The original Empys sounded absolutely wonderful to me for the majority of music, but there were use cases (especially busy music, gaming) that I felt the Empys came up a little short compared to other headphones I have tried (even on the less expensive end). In retrospect, what I found wanting in the OG Empys was not so much the resolution per se (especially after I upgraded the cable and DAC/Amp), but the limitations in speed and separation of the driver were apparent to me.

Basically echoing my original impressions here, with the Elite you give up the mid-bass that still makes the Empy unique, but the trade-off is well worth it, especially if like me, you're somewhat of a minimalist and want to primarily use one set of headphones. I find that the Elites are merely solid to mundanely fantastic at literally everything I can throw at them, with wonderful soundstage, separation, and clarity (without ever been too bitey on some of the harsher music I listen to).

As Lachlan mentioned in some of his reviews, the Elites are particularly great at gaming, they have a wide, convincing soundstage and directional sound (I catch myself reacting to noises as real in games all the time), and seem to faithfully reproduce sound in all registers that just makes the experience very compelling.

At times, I almost feel guilty wearing such an expensive set of headphones for everyday use, but I really don't want to use anything else. I have absolutely no qualms, no regrets, and no doubts about what I spent my money on here.
Guilty? On the contrary! You are using them, appreciating them, enjoying them daily. They’re not sitting in a shelf or stand waiting for special moments. Best that they get used daily!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back