Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 4, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #1,322 of 3,484
Jan 5, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #1,325 of 3,484
Got mine today - first impressions are wow! Just a beautiful sound out of the box. Will give them a good listen and post some more impressions but at this stage absolutely no complaints. They have a detailed, smooth, warm sound from my initial test tracks.

Mine didn’t come with the book, wondering if they don’t include this anymore or if it’s a packing issue. Have emailed Meze to find out.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #1,326 of 3,484
After purchasing the 109 Pro last month, I auditioned them against these headphones.
20230104_165553.JPG

The Arya V2 is my favorite for it's immersive soundstage and flawless technicalities. Only (minor) weakness I'd say is dynamics. However, I have the HE1000 Stealth coming in this weekend and I'm hoping that will be end game for me, though I will not be surprised if I prefer the Arya's. Either way, one of the Hifiman's will be sold in a few weeks.

The Radiance is a keeper, just for it's near-ANC level of sound isolation. I could plug this into my Xperia and walk around the house without bothering anyone. I guess it would be great for travel too. I've tried most Focal headphones (including Utopia and Stellia) and to me, the Radiance is Focal's best tuned headphone. I love it for it's rich full bass and smooth warm presentation. It's fun and laid-back without a hint of fatigue (unlike the Clear's which I will touch on later)

The 109 Pro slots right in between the two as a complimentary set. While not being the most technical, it's fun and musical. Very dynamic with bass quality that rivals any Focal headphone. It has slightly forward mids with lush vocals and instruments with natural timbre. Treble is sparkly but not sibilant to my ears. Somehow the sound signature comes across as intimate and airy at the same time, which is quite unique. Perhaps this is due to the warm low/mids and bright highs. Last but not least, the 109 Pro is probably the most comfortable headphone ever created. I cannot stress how great it feels on my head.

The D9200 sounds the best, but fits the worst. Honestly the sound is reference level and a relative bargain if you can get past the stock ear pads. They have small openings, finicky as hell because they rotate easily, and also get hot quickly (all subjective, of course) The only way around this issue is to get Dekoni pads which sounds worse, or modify Stax pads which I was reluctant to do.

I never really warmed up to the Clear OGs. They slam good but also quite shouty in the upper-mids. I've found that this combo of punchy + shouty can become fatiguing after 30 minutes of listening. Also, especially when compared to fun headphones like the Radiance and 109 Pro, the tuning of the Clear OG sounds analytical and frankly, a bit boring. I always felt the Clear OG is more of a studio monitor type of headphone (ie DT1990pro) than a musical one, and this comparison confirmed my feelings.

So I've decided to keep the Arya V2, 109 Pro and Radiance. The 109 Pro has knocked off the D9200 and Clear OG off my stable.
This is a great comparison which I'm looking for. :dt880smile:
I just got Arya Stealth (V3) for a few days. I can notice the Arya is needed more power to drive and is very picky on amp pairing, unlike the 109 Pro. However, switching between the two is reminding of each other minor weaknesses. On 109 pro, I experienced slightly more details and sweet vocals like you said. The Arya wins the soundstage contest. Other aspects I need more time on comparing.
I think I understand why Clear OG is out of the contest here. I have been comparing the 109 Pro to the Focal Elex for over a month now. My Elex share the same weakness as Clear line-up, a round bubble-like soundstage presentation. Gotta say I prefer tube pairing with Elex more than the rest, the intimacy on the female vocals is soothing.
Denon D9200 is catching my attention by its aesthetic, but not available in my region sadly. Wish to try it one day.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #1,327 of 3,484
48570BA4-F228-4F95-A8C7-B68F52303669.jpeg

Great looking cans, slightly larger than I thought they would be. Been listening all day, everything I’ve thrown at them so far sounds amazing (apart from my 1001 album I’m listening to today, but that’s not the fault of the headphone :p)

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,328 of 3,484
Any ways to deal with the treble outside of EQing?
Try applying the k240 foam mentioned in previous post somewhere in this thread. You can also try different source to further improve/tame the treble peak.
Mojo 2 does the trick for me in this regard.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,330 of 3,484
I've had the 109 for about a week and am enjoying the out-of-box sound. No mods, no EQ. My chain is Bifrost 2/64 > Jot 2. I also have the FiiO K7.

I don't find the treble to be "spicy" or "hot." Listening to a few reference tracks that have a lot of sibilance and I'm not getting fatigued. In fact, the tremble seems a lot more tame (to my ears) than the DCA Aeon 2 Noire (even with the white filters), which I replaced with the 109.

I think I still prefer my Arya Stealth for overall detail, separation/space, and slam, but these come pretty close while providing a bit more warmth and intimacy while still feeling open (because they are).

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #1,331 of 3,484
I've had the 109 for about a week and am enjoying the out-of-box sound. No mods, no EQ. My chain is Bifrost 2/64 > Jot 2. I also have the FiiO K7.

I don't find the treble to be "spicy" or "hot." Listening to a few reference tracks that have a lot of sibilance and I'm not getting fatigued. In fact, the tremble seems a lot more tame (to my ears) than the DCA Aeon 2 Noire (even with the white filters), which I replaced with the 109.

I think I still prefer my Arya Stealth for overall detail, separation/space, and slam, but these come pretty close while providing a bit more warmth and intimacy while still feeling open (because they are).
Agree about aeon 2 noire...

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,332 of 3,484
I've owned the Arya and I currently own the Elite. But I've found the 109 to have a better sense of clarity, dynamics, and texture than both of those planars. The 109 has more "color" to the music. I've found that planars, even TOTL, present music as shades of gray rather than vivid colors. It seems like there's always some sort of haze in the background that detracts from the sense of background blackness. So for me, even though the 109 is not as resolving, it still beats those other phones because of the raw dynamics, tonality, and dark background. It really is a spectacular headphone.

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #1,333 of 3,484
I've owned the Arya and I currently own the Elite. But I've found the 109 to have a better sense of clarity, dynamics, and texture than both of those planars. The 109 has more "color" to the music. I've found that planars, even TOTL, present music as shades of gray rather than vivid colors. It seems like there's always some sort of haze in the background that detracts from the sense of background blackness. So for me, even though the 109 is not as resolving, it still beats those other phones because of the raw dynamics, tonality, and dark background. It really is a spectacular headphone.
I don't disagree with this. My preference is still with the Arya Stealth. I find it more engaging. Again, preferences. Also, I've only had the 109 for a week, so things may change.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #1,334 of 3,484
I don't disagree with this. My preference is still with the Arya Stealth. I find it more engaging. Again, preferences. Also, I've only had the 109 for a week, so things may change.
Preferences indeed. The Elite destroys the Arya in my book on the right system. Hopefully I will audition the 109pro soon.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,335 of 3,484
Preferences indeed. The Elite destroys the Arya in my book on the right system. Hopefully I will audition the 109pro soon.
I would hope/expect the Elite to destroy the Arya 😊. Also, I can’t afford it 😭.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back