Meze Audio 109 Pro
Dec 28, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #1,292 of 3,538
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #1,293 of 3,538
Hi together, I am planning to get a high quality cable for my 109s but I am very confused and can not find out which material to choose. Unfortunately I can not take the original Meze Upgrade cable because I need it in 3m length. I know there is religious discussions on wether the cable matters or not and I do not want to enter this discussion here. Let us just assume I want a nice and flexible high quality cable, which material should I choose for the cable? Pure copper, silver plated copper or pure silver? Does anyone have a tip for a good and affordable source maybe from China?

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #1,294 of 3,538
you can order 3m at meze , write an email to meze support

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #1,295 of 3,538
Hi together, I am planning to get a high quality cable for my 109s but I am very confused and can not find out which material to choose. Unfortunately I can not take the original Meze Upgrade cable because I need it in 3m length. I know there is religious discussions on wether the cable matters or not and I do not want to enter this discussion here. Let us just assume I want a nice and flexible high quality cable, which material should I choose for the cable? Pure copper, silver plated copper or pure silver? Does anyone have a tip for a good and affordable source maybe from China?
forzaaudioworks. try Claire hybrid

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #1,297 of 3,538
Not sure what your budget is, but the Define series cable from Arctic Cables is quite nice for 100 bucks - copper, which is what I would likely choose for these headphones.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,298 of 3,538
I just purchased a braided cable from Fog City Audio. Similar to Hart but without the modularity, which I prefer because I don’t want extra interconnects weighing down my cable.

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #1,299 of 3,538
Had a long a$$ listen to the 109 Pros today at my local(ish) dealer...like...for more than an hour lol.

Easily...EASILY one of the best deals out there for what you're getting.

The tuning is just beautiful...actually it's better than my OG Focal Clear. :thinking:

Very open sounding headphone with a nice stage. I didn't think it was super wide but was very spacious.

Imaging was splendid and the treble is really damn good. I suspect that this 109 Pro had been run in a little as a tiny few impressions I heard from other peeps suggested that the treble was "a bit hot" or a little "spicy". To me...it was relatively bright, nicely extended and not fatiguing at all. I guess it's a neutral bright presentation without the harshness.

Mids were lovely. Very effortless with background instruments clearly audible and clean but not shoved in your face for the sake of "hey look at how much detail I can provide you!".

The bass was tight and punchy as well as extending pretty low. The only slight nitpick with the bass is it rolls off a bit maybe below 40hz or so but it's still pretty damn great to me. This is open back too and at this price....can hardly complain lol.

Layering and separation of sounds was good. Not mind blowing but very solid.

Dynamics on the other hand were absolutely superb. I believe it could easily give Focal a run for their money.

Compared to an OG Focal Clear Pro: The 109 Pro is a little brighter but I must stress that the treble was not harsh at all and had no dodgy spikes...at least to my ears...and I'm treble sensitive. The Clear is a little more punchy with slightly more dynamics but not by much.

Mid range I'd say is roughly equal but I may give a slight edge to the 109 Pro cause sometimes the Clears can become ever so slighty shouty with little peaks on it's lower treble...especially with not so well recorded music with baked in sibilance in the recording.

Bass maybe extends a little better below 40hz on the 109 Pro but the Clears bass is more visceral and can be felt more.
As mentioned above...I repeat, that I think the 109 Pro has better tonality than the Clear. It's more open and airier with great dynamic range. Zero bass bleed or mid bass bloat...which doesn't suck.

Compared to a Denon D9200: Heh...I've been desperate to demo these cans literally for years lol. Today I finally got to hear them and I was quite shocked by what I heard. Again....I personally think the tonality and balance of the 109 Pros is better. I will say though that the 9200 had quite possibly the best imaging I've possibly ever heard but that doesn't mean too much cause the only other TOTL cans I've heard are a 2020 Focal Utopia and Abyss 1266TC but this was at Canjam London when it was super noisy most of the time so take this with a grain of salt. Also never heard a HD800S btw.

Mid range was lovely and sweet on both cans but will give the edge to the 9200. The separation on the 9200 is super sexy lol. The highs were a little better on the 109 Pro IMO but prolly not by much. The Denon is also a relatively bright neutral headphone but not as bright as I thought.

Bass was definitely better on the 9200 which was considerably more punchy and extended although this could partially be attributed to the closed back nature of the Denon. The 109 Pro was certainly no slouch, might I add. Actually...it's debatable which of the 2 headphones has the tightest bass as well as the actual quality of it. The textures of both were truly beautiful...that's one thing I'm certain of...at least for me.

I just can't believe the price of the 109 Pros. I expect this thing to sell like hot cakes. The comfort is amazing too which is like a huge bonus. If I didn't splash out recently on a new Gustard X18 DAC and U18 DDC....I would have picked up the 109 Pros in a heartbeat but there's a strong chance I'll pick it up later anyway. Wouldn't even be suprised to see a price hike soon lol.

Btw, all my 109 Pro/Denon D9200 impressions were made on an RME ADI-2 FS DAC/AMP with zero EQ via Roon.

The comparison of the 109 Pro to my OG Focal Clear Pro is not completely fair though cause I run the Clears on a X18/U18/H16 Gustard stack which I think would sound much better than the RME ADI-2 on it's own. Despite all this...the 109 Pro do some things better than my Clear such as better tonality and better staging. That is quite substantial when I think about it dammit lol

IMG_7784.JPG

IMG_7737.JPG

IMG_7794.JPG

IMG_7777.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG
Sorry to drag out an old post. I've been working my way slowly through this thread and your post jumped out for several reasons.

Loved reading your impressions of the 109 pros, thanks. Cracking post!
It's particularly handy that you've compared to some other headphones that are also on my radar.

I wonder if you can help please?, regarding Audio Sanctuary. I'm hoping to visit there sometime soon to hopefully have a listen to a few headphones. But I've only ever auditioned home hifi in a shop before, not headphones. Would I be able to rock up at the shop and bring my DAP along to plug into?, as that's what I'll be buying for as don't use a desktop set up.
Also, is it normal to spend an hour or two there just listening to several sets I have designs on, or would I be given the hurry ups?

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,300 of 3,538
Sorry to drag out an old post. I've been working my way slowly through this thread and your post jumped out for several reasons.

Loved reading your impressions of the 109 pros, thanks. Cracking post!
It's particularly handy that you've compared to some other headphones that are also on my radar.

I wonder if you can help please?, regarding Audio Sanctuary. I'm hoping to visit there sometime soon to hopefully have a listen to a few headphones. But I've only ever auditioned home hifi in a shop before, not headphones. Would I be able to rock up at the shop and bring my DAP along to plug into?, as that's what I'll be buying for as don't use a desktop set up.
Also, is it normal to spend an hour or two there just listening to several sets I have designs on, or would I be given the hurry ups?
Hi mate,

You can rock up at Audio Sanctuary and use your DAP for long listening sessions.

If you plan on staying for an hour or 2...get there in the morning as early as possible when it's quiet and you should have no problem. It's also a good idea to call them beforehand to introduce yourself, give them your name and they'll actually prepare the headphones you want to hear on their many ROON setups.

Really amazing store and service :thumbsup:

I know you're only interested in portable setups but man...hearing these 109 Pros on a desktop setup with a decent amp/DAC is quite something lol

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #1,301 of 3,538
Hi mate,

You can rock up at Audio Sanctuary and use your DAP for long listening sessions.

If you plan on staying for an hour or 2...get there in the morning as early as possible when it's quiet and you should have no problem. It's also a good idea to call them beforehand to introduce yourself, give them your name and they'll actually prepare the headphones you want to hear on their many ROON setups.

Really amazing store and service :thumbsup:

I know you're only interested in portable setups but man...hearing these 109 Pros on a desktop setup with a decent amp/DAC is quite something lol
Nice one! Thanks for the swift response.

That all sounds perfect then. I look forward to heading up there when the finances are in place.

Unfortunately a desktop set up just isn't possible really, for a number of reasons. Plus, I spend most time listening to my hifi seperates through floor standing speakers, which I love. The serious headphone listening only comes out to play for later at night or when the headphone mood particularly takes me. For that I'm very happy with my Sony and ibasso DAP's. The ibasso dx300 in particular seems to have plenty of grunt behind it.

Enjoy your Meze's, and thanks again for the response and review :thumbsup:

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,302 of 3,538
Nice one! Thanks for the swift response.

That all sounds perfect then. I look forward to heading up there when the finances are in place.

Unfortunately a desktop set up just isn't possible really, for a number of reasons. Plus, I spend most time listening to my hifi seperates through floor standing speakers, which I love. The serious headphone listening only comes out to play for later at night or when the headphone mood particularly takes me. For that I'm very happy with my Sony and ibasso DAP's. The ibasso dx300 in particular seems to have plenty of grunt behind it.

Enjoy your Meze's, and thanks again for the response and review :thumbsup:
I think you have no problem at all with dap driving the meze. I have an amplifier made by a friend. I need to send back to reduce the gain. The headphone is easy to drive

Jan 3, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #1,304 of 3,538
Hey Guys,

I decided to repurchase the 109 Pros after returning them a few months ago, and I have to say these headphones are literally end game if you just want something to sit down with and thoroughly enjoy listening to music with. I'm also now completely Meze as I only own Meze headphones (Elite, 109 Pro, and Liric). The only one that isn't is my Momentum 4.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #1,305 of 3,538
Hey Guys,

I decided to repurchase the 109 Pros after returning them a few months ago, and I have to say these headphones are literally end game if you just want something to sit down with and thoroughly enjoy listening to music with. I'm also now completely Meze as I only own Meze headphones (Elite, 109 Pro, and Liric). The only one that isn't is my Momentum 4.
how’s the liric sound compare to the 109pro, kinda wanna try one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back