Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 3, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #1,306 of 3,511
Hey Guys,

I decided to repurchase the 109 Pros after returning them a few months ago, and I have to say these headphones are literally end game if you just want something to sit down with and thoroughly enjoy listening to music with. I'm also now completely Meze as I only own Meze headphones (Elite, 109 Pro, and Liric). The only one that isn't is my Momentum 4.
Why did you let them go back then?

Jan 3, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #1,311 of 3,511
how’s the liric sound compare to the 109pro, kinda wanna try one
Basically the Liric is a more analytical listen compared to the 109 pro. Both are brightest headphones, but the 109s have more body than the Liric's. Without EQ, I'm not as fond of the Liric's, but with eq (boosting the sub bass a bit and adding in more gain in the lower mid range) I think it's fantastic and rivals most high end closed backs (like the Stellia which I ended up selling).

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #1,312 of 3,511

MONO 3.5 MM COPPER PCUHD
PREMIUM CABLES​

or​

SILVER-PLATED UPGRADE CABLES​

was planning to get either 1 of these in 4.4 balanced plug .. the premium cable (fukukawa) cost double than the silver plated .. does anyone using it have any advise to share on their performance?

Personally I would like to get the premium silver plate fukukawa cable, but that way above what I would want to pay for ( at 50% of 109 pro price).

So at the moment I am using iem cable with 3.5mm adaptor .. not sure if this affect sound quality of the original iem cable

Attachments

• IMG-20230103-WA0020.jpeg
    IMG-20230103-WA0020.jpeg
    883.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #1,313 of 3,511
After purchasing the 109 Pro last month, I auditioned them against these headphones.
20230104_165553.JPG

The Arya V2 is my favorite for it's immersive soundstage and flawless technicalities. Only (minor) weakness I'd say is dynamics. However, I have the HE1000 Stealth coming in this weekend and I'm hoping that will be end game for me, though I will not be surprised if I prefer the Arya's. Either way, one of the Hifiman's will be sold in a few weeks.

The Radiance is a keeper, just for it's near-ANC level of sound isolation. I could plug this into my Xperia and walk around the house without bothering anyone. I guess it would be great for travel too. I've tried most Focal headphones (including Utopia and Stellia) and to me, the Radiance is Focal's best tuned headphone. I love it for it's rich full bass and smooth warm presentation. It's fun and laid-back without a hint of fatigue (unlike the Clear's which I will touch on later)

The 109 Pro slots right in between the two as a complimentary set. While not being the most technical, it's fun and musical. Very dynamic with bass quality that rivals any Focal headphone. It has slightly forward mids with lush vocals and instruments with natural timbre. Treble is sparkly but not sibilant to my ears. Somehow the sound signature comes across as intimate and airy at the same time, which is quite unique. Perhaps this is due to the warm low/mids and bright highs. Last but not least, the 109 Pro is probably the most comfortable headphone ever created. I cannot stress how great it feels on my head.

The D9200 sounds the best, but fits the worst. Honestly the sound is reference level and a relative bargain if you can get past the stock ear pads. They have small openings, finicky as hell because they rotate easily, and also get hot quickly (all subjective, of course) The only way around this issue is to get Dekoni pads which sounds worse, or modify Stax pads which I was reluctant to do.

I never really warmed up to the Clear OGs. They slam good but also quite shouty in the upper-mids. I've found that this combo of punchy + shouty can become fatiguing after 30 minutes of listening. Also, especially when compared to fun headphones like the Radiance and 109 Pro, the tuning of the Clear OG sounds analytical and frankly, a bit boring. I always felt the Clear OG is more of a studio monitor type of headphone (ie DT1990pro) than a musical one, and this comparison confirmed my feelings.

So I've decided to keep the Arya V2, 109 Pro and Radiance. The 109 Pro has knocked off the D9200 and Clear OG off my stable.

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,314 of 3,511
After purchasing the 109 Pro last month, I auditioned them against these headphones.
20230104_165553.JPG

The Arya V2 is my favorite for it's immersive soundstage and flawless technicalities. Only (minor) weakness I'd say is dynamics. However, I have the HE1000 Stealth coming in this weekend and I'm hoping that will be end game for me, though I will not be surprised if I prefer the Arya's. Either way, one of the Hifiman's will be sold in a few weeks.

The Radiance is a keeper, just for it's near-ANC level of sound isolation. I could plug this into my Xperia and walk around the house without bothering anyone. I guess it would be great for travel too. I've tried most Focal headphones (including Utopia and Stellia) and to me, the Radiance is Focal's best tuned headphone. I love it for it's rich full bass and smooth warm presentation. It's fun and laid-back without a hint of fatigue (unlike the Clear's which I will touch on later)

The 109 Pro slots right in between the two as a complimentary set. While not being the most technical, it's fun and musical. Very dynamic with bass quality that rivals any Focal headphone. It has slightly forward mids with lush vocals and instruments with natural timbre. Treble is sparkly but not sibilant to my ears. Somehow the sound signature comes across as intimate and airy at the same time, which is quite unique. Perhaps this is due to the warm low/mids and bright highs. Last but not least, the 109 Pro is probably the most comfortable headphone ever created. I cannot stress how great it feels on my head.

The D9200 sounds the best, but fits the worst. Honestly the sound is reference level and a relative bargain if you can get past the stock ear pads. They have small openings, finicky as hell because they rotate easily, and also get hot quickly (all subjective, of course) The only way around this issue is to get Dekoni pads which sounds worse, or modify Stax pads which I was reluctant to do.

I never really warmed up to the Clear OGs. They slam good but also quite shouty in the upper-mids. I've found that this combo of punchy + shouty can become fatiguing after 30 minutes of listening. Also, especially when compared to fun headphones like the Radiance and 109 Pro, the tuning of the Clear OG sounds analytical and frankly, a bit boring. I always felt the Clear OG is more of a studio monitor type of headphone (ie DT1990pro) than a musical one, and this comparison confirmed my feelings.

So I've decided to keep the Arya V2, 109 Pro and Radiance. The 109 Pro has knocked off the D9200 and Clear OG off my stable.
Not sure if it's the angle but the Arya looks small beside the 109 Pro.

Even though the Hifiman drop shape earcups are quite big as well

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #1,320 of 3,511
Does anyone know if the original 3m standard 109 Pro cables have 4 wires all the way to the connector, so you can just replace the unbalanced connector with a balanced connector?
someone (i don´t remember the post) wrote that it is not possible due to negative wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back