Meze Audio 109 Pro
Jan 6, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #1,337 of 3,538
Preferences indeed. The Elite destroys the Arya in my book on the right system. Hopefully I will audition the 109pro soon.
Planar vs planar, the Elite does destroy the Arya. Not even close, IMO. But after hundreds of hours of listening to various phones I've come to the conclusion that I just prefer dynamic drivers to planar, even though I know some information is missing. But honestly I don't think it really belongs there to begin with. The faint information should stay faint and not be brought up to a similar level as the main line in the music. Even the Elites, as great as they are, still convey all musical information on a similar plane rather than strong vs weak. Shades of gray, as I said. Listen honestly for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

My preference is for the more dynamic presentation, where strong information is presented strongly and weak information is held back. YMMV.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,338 of 3,538
Just an open discussion. Listen to what you enjoy most.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,339 of 3,538
I've owned the Arya and I currently own the Elite. But I've found the 109 to have a better sense of clarity, dynamics, and texture than both of those planars. The 109 has more "color" to the music. I've found that planars, even TOTL, present music as shades of gray rather than vivid colors. It seems like there's always some sort of haze in the background that detracts from the sense of background blackness. So for me, even though the 109 is not as resolving, it still beats those other phones because of the raw dynamics, tonality, and dark background. It really is a spectacular headphone.
a friend of mine told me the same. preferred 109 to elite

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #1,340 of 3,538
Your friend has good ears. Lol.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you want to listen to. For me, I find myself reaching for the 109s nine times out of ten lately. If I could only choose one, I'm not ashamed to say that it would be the 109.

And if you check my signature, you'll see I have my Elites for sale.

Jan 6, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,341 of 3,538
It is personal preference. There will always be folks who value a decent hot-dog higher than a Michelin star degustation menu. Of course, we could go into a debate of value for money and so on; or hearing abilities. Let us just all enjoy what we choose to enjoy. :wink:

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,342 of 3,538
It is personal preference. There will always be folks who value a decent hot-dog higher than a Michelin star degustation menu.
No offense, but this sounds like the comment from someone who has not heard both of these headphones. Folks need to stop listening exclusively to reviews and actually put these cans on their own ears.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #1,343 of 3,538
No offense, but this sounds like the comment from someone who has not heard both of these headphones. Folks need to stop listening exclusively to reviews and actually put these cans on their own ears.
It is an extremely defensive community this 109pro group is even within the Meze fan realm. I will report back in a couple of weeks when I had the 109pro on my head so I can have the protection of the chain shirt of experience on my shoulders. But even then I might just keep my findings to myself. :)

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #1,344 of 3,538
My first experience with meze( an iem) was not good. I'm not fanboy. In my house i sold other headphones for 109. I shared impressions with my friends (not reviewers) and the impressions are the same. It is rare in this game

Jan 6, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #1,345 of 3,538
Jan 6, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #1,346 of 3,538
. The faint information should stay faint and not be brought up to a similar level as the main line in the music. Even the Elites, as great as they are, still convey all musical information on a similar plane rather than strong vs weak. Shades of gray, as I said. Listen honestly for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

My preference is for the more dynamic presentation, where strong information is presented strongly and weak information is held back. YMMV.
It is called planar wall-of-sound lol I hear it too. But I found a way to mitigate it by wearing the planar headphones “un-sealed”. I think it is due to no front ventilation in planar headphones construction so they sometimes sound compressed and not airy.
It seems like there has been an increasing compliment on the 109pro recently. I must find a chance to re-listen to this headphone . The first time listening was not very good because of some might unclean feeling. It was like echo or ringing effect..

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #1,347 of 3,538
Planar vs planar, the Elite does destroy the Arya. Not even close, IMO. But after hundreds of hours of listening to various phones I've come to the conclusion that I just prefer dynamic drivers to planar, even though I know some information is missing. But honestly I don't think it really belongs there to begin with. The faint information should stay faint and not be brought up to a similar level as the main line in the music. Even the Elites, as great as they are, still convey all musical information on a similar plane rather than strong vs weak. Shades of gray, as I said. Listen honestly for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

I like dynamic drivers too.

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #1,348 of 3,538

I have a number of planers and similar number of dynamic drivers and prefer dynamic drivers. Would be interested in what dynamic driver headphones other members have as I'm in the market for a good pair under $1500.

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,349 of 3,538
I have a number of planers and similar number of dynamic drivers and prefer dynamic drivers. Would be interested in what dynamic driver headphones other members have as I'm in the market for a good pair under $1500.
Which DD headphones do you have? I assume that $1500 is AUD ====> $1010 USD.

Jan 7, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #1,350 of 3,538
Which DD headphones do you have? I assume that $1500 is AUD ====> $1010 USD.
Yes Australian. Have got akg k701, beyerdynamic t90, Audio-Technica r70x, focal elegia, grado sr225e. Was after something the next level up. Imho the worst headphone I ever owned was the meze 99 classic. Mids and highs were good, build and look was excellent but the bass was just too overpowering so much so that I couldn’t listen to them for more than 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back