Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #451 of 582
I do not know exactly how many hours I have on my Neo because I gave it also for a couple of days to my friends to listen but maybe around 50 hours of listening so I do not know for sure what happens later on.

But I know for sure that I have around 8 hours of listening on my classics and what you describe above does NOT exist on thwm even out of the box.
Thanks, it seems I should have gotten the Classic ... reviews said the Neo was very similar to the Classic :-/

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #452 of 582
Thanks, it seems I should have gotten the Classic ... reviews said the Neo was very similar to the Classic :-/
Not all of them . See Pinky Powers very good reviews on both of them.

And Neo is great unless you hear the classic or a lot more expensive headphone and it is a lot more comfortable for prolonged listening sessions.

In any case, it seems logical to me I do not believe that Antonio discovered and promoted wood 2 years ago and then later comes and says you know guys I discover something better or equally good...ABS plastic. Some prefer Neo quite understandably as the warmer of the two but as I went and read the reviews again many prefer classics . Many reviews here in headfi are great and have very good comments and most of things have been said already one way or another.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #453 of 582
Just got an email from Meze. Looks like they have dropped the price of the Neo to $199.

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #455 of 582
Does the Neo require a lot of burn in? After 50+ hours drums sound like the drum skin needs to be tightened and the bass overpowers the mids and treble. Will they improve or is this the expected sound?

Having read several reviews it seems that it is expected that people will EQ them to make them sound normal, which stops me from trying them as I refuse to waste time EQ-ing (and which I reckon messes up the sound).

Let us know how it goes or PM me (if you don't want to reveal your opinion publicly).

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #456 of 582
Having read several reviews it seems that it is expected that people will EQ them to make them sound normal, which stops me from trying them as I refuse to waste time EQ-ing (and which I reckon messes up the sound).

Let us know how it goes or PM me (if you don't want to reveal your opinion publicly).

What sources do you have?

With something like iDSD BL Micro you just need to engage the 3D thingy, and you have enough spare room to even engage X-BAss tech :)

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #457 of 582
What sources do you have?

With something like iDSD BL Micro you just need to engage the 3D thingy, and you have enough spare room to even engage X-BAss tech :)

A number of YouTube review videos have said that it is not their preferred sound signature without EQ i.e. too much bass, which puts me off and I absolutely hate a mid-bass hump that bleeds into the mids.

Do you guys think that Anaz has a faulty unit or is it fairly typical?

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #458 of 582

I absolutely hate a mid-bass hump that bleeds into the mids.

I have the Neo and I do not use EQ on it or anything else I own. Everything can just stand on its own merits for me.
I love my Neo and do not find the bass the bleed into the mids. I thoroughly enjoy my music with these (and much of what I have). Enjoying the music is all I care about. I want to start an album and just listen to the whole thing...and then another...and another... The comfort helps with that as well.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #460 of 582
I have the Neo and I do not use EQ on it or anything else I own. Everything can just stand on its own merits for me.
I love my Neo and do not find the bass the bleed into the mids. I thoroughly enjoy my music with these (and much of what I have). Enjoying the music is all I care about. I want to start and album and just listen to the whole thing...and then another...and another... The comfort helps with that as well.
I couldn't have said it better. I don’t EQ nor hear any bass bleed. Yes, there is a midbass bump for sure but they way Meze tunes them, I think they blend well into the mids and treble. I like/love the way they stand in their own right.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #461 of 582
A number of YouTube review videos have said that it is not their preferred sound signature without EQ i.e. too much bass, which puts me off and I absolutely hate a mid-bass hump that bleeds into the mids.

Do you guys think that Anaz has a faulty unit or is it fairly typical?

What are your previous experiences as far as headphones go?

Bad matches for them can give them a bit more mid bass, for example really warm sources like FiiO X5-3 can make them a tad too warm and smooth, but X7mkii with any AMP module gives them better justice.

Let's put it this way, it has more bass and mid bass than AKG K550, HD600, HD800, HD5XX, and even than ATH-M50 in the long run

But they have an airy sound with a larger soundstage, and the midbass doesn't get to the point where it bleeds into the midrange, it just is part of an overall smoother signature, ala HD650, so it can feel a tad too much bass and mid bass due to also having low treble amounts :)

My most recommended EQ curve doesn't really care about EQ'ing the bass or the mid bass that much, as much as adding some 8 to 10 dB to the treble :)

I recommend that EQ curve that adds treble which also tightens the bass, which proves my earlier statement, it isn't the bass or the mid bass that is the issue, but the smooth overall signature. You see, something similar goes on with other really smoth headphones and IEMs, they need the treble to sound spot-on for some people. To answer your question, the bass and mid bass isn't quite an issue, but the treble is smoother than what is a reference tuning, those are smooth and easy-going / laid back headphones. Really easy to listen to and enjoyable for most people :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #462 of 582
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #463 of 582
Really easy to listen to and enjoyable for most people :)

It is for me. Several pages back I shared my experience listening with them for 12 hours continuously...an experiment to check long term comfort. That was enjoyable. (I had the day to myself)

Thanks George and Guys, you have me tempted!

You know you want to....

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #464 of 582
Sundara is supposed to arrive soon , so cannot talk about it yet :)

Hm... hard to say , judging from your list, you might like a slightly V-shaped sound with more sparkle, like Amiron has a ton more treble and treble energy than 99C or 99N, same for the AKGs you owned before.

Sundara should be on the smoother side though, so 99C might be an interesting headphone to compare to it, and you did sell the AKGs and Amiron, so maybe you like a smoother sound in the end and those would be a good fit :)

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #465 of 582
Sundara is supposed to arrive soon , so cannot talk about it yet :)

Hm... hard to say , judging from your list, you might like a slightly V-shaped sound with more sparkle, like Amiron has a ton more treble and treble energy than 99C or 99N, same for the AKGs you owned before.

Sundara should be on the smoother side though, so 99C might be an interesting headphone to compare to it, and you did sell the AKGs and Amiron, so maybe you like a smoother sound in the end and those would be a good fit :)

It will be good to hear your opinion on the Sundara as there have been conflicting reports on it which is confusing those who might be interested in buying it.

I would also like to hear comparison with the MrSpeakers Aeon.

You say there is a nice sparkle to the Meze 99, do you know what part of the treble is rolled off?

I like a natural balanced sound with good tone and timbre and I overall prefer my modded Yamaha HPH-MT220 (which brings out the mids) over the Denon 7200

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back