Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #436 of 582
... but there are high-end headphones that can't take more than 2-5 dB of EQ.

Off topic somewhat, but have been meaning to ask you about this for months now, and the above quote reminded me. How do you EQ you cans? Raising the value and lowering the pre-amp/gain or do you undercut the curve, o neither?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 14, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #437 of 582
Off topic somewhat, but have been meaning to ask you about this for months now, and the above quote reminded me. How do you EQ you cans? Raising the value and lowering the pre-amp/gain or do you undercut the curve, o neither?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I generally drop the pre-amp as I increase the value on other sliders.

For example, I keep increasing the value on 16kHz (where most headphones and IEMs need EQ), and when I reach a good position, I drop the pre-amp with the same value as the incremenent. Then I play with the other sliders. I usually start with a -5dB preamp anyways, to leave some headroom.

On ie800, LCD-4MX, I didn't need to increase the 16kHz at all, so they didn't need any EQ on my side.

On Amiron, they needed to drop a few dBs from 8kHz and add a few to 16kHz, but minimal changes.

Not to mention usually having the EQ automatically adjust the pre-amp value for gain :darthsmile:

Don't worry, I know my EQs :smile_phones:

Currently, with X7mkii and AM5, or with Opus #1s, I drop a few dBs of bass from 99C, then I add a few of treble, but the changes are waaaaay less drastic than when I used X5ii to power them

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #438 of 582
That would be a good idea. We all hear VERY differently. Their Sennheiser Urbanite On Ear has ideal bass for me but I don't like on ears. The Urbanite XL over ear was terrible for me. Harsh treble, and the mid bass was just barely enough (not bass-heavy at all) and it actually severely lacked low sub bass (reminded me of the HD600, down there). If you find those too bassy, you will NOT LIKE the Meze Classic or Neo. Sure you can EQ the Meze for less, but really, just do that with the headphones that you have and save the money. If you want comfortable, portable closed back with similar highs, much better mids, good sub extension but more gentle mid bass, no boominess, get the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7.

Yes, I'm just evaluating an upgrade on something different. Reading about msr7 they seems a bit shiny up there on the treble... I like bass, I like warm sound so I was pointing also to a pair of B&W p5

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #439 of 582
For example, I keep increasing the value on 16kHz (where most headphones and IEMs need EQ

Haha...I am so far from hearing 16kHz that nothing of mine needs EQ. Just wait til you get older. Maybe headfi should revoke my membership.

...and yet, I thoroughly enjoy my music.

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #440 of 582
Haha...I am so far from hearing 16kHz that nothing of mine needs EQ. Just wait til you get older. Maybe headfi should revoke my membership.

...and yet, I thoroughly enjoy my music.

There';s no problem if you don't hear up to that point :smile_phones:
The most important aspect is to enjoy music to the fullest! Regardless of why or how, just to enjoy it!

This is why we're here, to get the most enjoyment we can out of our music :gs1000smile:

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #442 of 582
which EQ settings do you recommend for 99 Neo with Astell&Kern Ak320?)
i also have balanced meze occ 7n silver plated cable

AK320 should be a bit warm

The silver plated cable should be a bit brighter than the stock

I think you'll need something like +8dB at 16 kHz and some -2 dB at 100Hz and at ~200 Hz. Try this and let us know if it works fine for you :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #443 of 582
How do the Neos sound compared to the classics? I wanted to buy the classics but they are around $130 CAD more expensive from the headphone bar. Is it a big difference, or just a tiny one. Most say the Neos are a bit bassist, but some say they have less bass than the classics with new pads. It would be great if someone could help me. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #444 of 582
The very newest versions all are supposed to have the same pads, which I think may be their best pad revision yet. The Neo have slightly less bass, more importantly, less mid to high bass, that seems a little too bloated on the Classic to me. The highs on the Neo are also more smooth, while not being dark at all. The mids are more animated, and 3D on the Neo. The Classic mids seem more dry and reserved in the mids. Not lacking, but just not as spacious sounding. Though they have great stereo spread, the width on the Neo is something I've rarely ever hear in headphones.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #445 of 582
How do the Neos sound compared to the classics? I wanted to buy the classics but they are around $130 CAD more expensive from the headphone bar. Is it a big difference, or just a tiny one. Most say the Neos are a bit bassist, but some say they have less bass than the classics with new pads. It would be great if someone could help me. Thanks.
I have both but I have listened at most 3-4 hours the classic and 5-6 hours the Neo so my opinion may easily change later on and might not be the most accurate among others.

In addition, the pads between my units might be slightly different so this may make a difference too and thus not the best possible comparison.

But I have an extremely strong personal preference for the sound signature of the classics from the first millisecond I have used them.

I would (and I actually I almost did) pay double the difference for the classics. However, the neo have their strong points too. More warm sound and is like listening more to speakers than headphones in comparison to classics. For my case one complements the other in the sense that I would NOT like to use my classics out in the sun or under light rain or near the beach, I think i can abuse my neo a little bit more.

But it was surprising to me that they have such difference in sound (irrespectively which is better and someone prefers) given that they have the same name i.e. Meze 99.

Ideally you should audition both. In general, in London someone can audition classics in selffridges ( under non-ideal very noisy conditions) but I do not know where the Neo is available for a listen.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #446 of 582
With some EQ you can tame the bass, if you feel the mids are too thick at default.

I wouldn't say the bass is bleeding in the mids, but the bass is quite strong.

Boomy usually means that the 100Hz - 250Hz area is a bit too enhanced, thing which can be fixed by the way I EQ 99C and 99N:

31 Hz + 3dB
62 Hz + 1dB
125 Hz 0 dB
250 Hz -3 dB
500 Hz + 3 dB
1 kHz + 3 dB
2 kHz + 3 dB
4 kHz + 3 dB
8 kHz + 0 dB
16 kHz + 18 dB

You should consider that those are quite smooth by default though, so you shouldn't have issues with the treble and such, but the bass is quite strong.

Another thing I'd like to notice is that the extreme EQ above will cause some strange shifts in the FR, so not only the treble will be changed by adding that much treble, but also the bass will change.

If you don't EQ them at all, the bass is nice, I enjoy it, but the top end is smooth, which I prefer to be a tad more energetic, especially for metal and upbeat music
Thank you for the EQ setting. I just got a 99 Neo and they sound a little too dark for my taste...although the sound is very relaxing, I think the Neo needs a little more sparkle to liven up the music. I never believed in using an EQ, but I tried your settings and the 99 Neo sounds more lively.

Mar 2, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #447 of 582
Mar 2, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #448 of 582
I tried this method and the clamping is a bit better but still not pressing my ears enough so I can fully enjoy the music :<
The outer rings can really take bending. Try bending them more extremely. Just be very careful you don't damage the cups or how they connect to the outer rings in the process. I had the opposite issue. Clamp was perfect, but the band didn't go high enough for my large head. I removed the headband with a TorX6 or whatever screwdriver and now the outer rings sit perfectly on the top of my head. They are light, made even lighter without that strap, and distribute the weight across two flat bands, I also have thick hair on top to serve as a cushion, so this may not be for everyone. That said, I did want the clamp to be a bit more (as taking the band off reduced it) and was able to bend them just right. Now the most comfortable pair I own. If you find you like the sound but want a bit less bass, then get Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads and put them on. They reduce the bass more than I like but I'm a moderate bass head. They will increase the clamp because they compress less, and are a touch thicker also.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #449 of 582
Does the Neo require a lot of burn in? After 50+ hours drums sound like the drum skin needs to be tightened and the bass overpowers the mids and treble. Will they improve or is this the expected sound?

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #450 of 582
Does the Neo require a lot of burn in? After 50+ hours drums sound like the drum skin needs to be tightened and the bass overpowers the mids and treble. Will they improve or is this the expected sound?
I do not know exactly how many hours I have on my Neo because I gave it also for a couple of days to my friends to listen but maybe around 50 hours of listening so I do not know for sure what happens later on.

But I know for sure that I have around 8 hours of listening on my classics and what you describe above does NOT exist on thwm even out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back