Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #481 of 582
You guys are killing this poor new head-fi member! :)

The more I read about something, the more interest I take

How do you think I ended up with so many? :)

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #482 of 582
The MDR-1A actually has decent isolation despite bass ports. Yes, a lot of other closed pairs isolate more. They compare to me - since I have both as my main two pairs -as being the ideal alternative. The Sony with stock pads has similar mid bass to the 99 Neo, in fact the 99 Neo has more bloat in the higher bass area. The Meze 99 pads make the Sony far more comfortable, increase soundstage, high mid clarity, and slightly clean up the low mids, and high bass, which is still big and punchy, but I prefer that sound. It is definitely more clean in the low mids and higher bass area than the 99 Neo. Similar in the mid bass, good on both cans, and more sub bass with the pads than almost any I had heard, remarkably the elevated sub bass does not affect the rest of the frequencies. Not just one note but it's powerful. The extra sparkle on top means I play it lower to avoid fatigue yet it's not harsh at all volumes like a lot of bright headphones I don't like (Beyer 770, 880 and 990 especially, the ATH-M50x and so on). So for long low level listening, it's my go to. The Meze is ok for that, though the extra mids means at low levels it can lack sparkle and sub punch. So the Meze do better cranked a bit (I still don't go to unsafe levels) to get the highs and lows.
Hm thanks, the Beyer 770 is what I have now, I like them but yeah they can be a bit too energetic and sibilant up top on bright masterings. Well made material sounds very good. So if I find I no longer can stand it I think I would go for a warmer headphone, like the 99 Neo or 1A.

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #483 of 582
deleted

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #484 of 582
The Neo have a bassy tone, particularly out of the box. The details in the music easily get through. When I had the 99 Classics I did not write a review, but I am so happy with the overall tone of the Neo. The bass should not be bloomy to a point where it is impeding the details in the mids or lower treble range. Again, in my opinion no EQ necessary. I also feel they are a steal at $199.00
My thoughts exactly...the Neo are definitely dark and bassy, yet they do a nice job of trying to keep both the mids and highs present; this is what sets them apart from most bassy closed backs. It has some soundstage and space, especially for a closed back...more than my Sennheiser Momentum 2s...but it's not going to compete with a good open back when it comes to having a nice airy sound. It is typically just a bit congested in terms of being "in your head". I get this sort of impression from all closed back cans though. Also, it isn't best suited for classic rock or distorted guitar...just too bass heavy and not enough mid-range bite. It'll work for certain things better than others, being very hit or miss for rock/metal...my Momentum 2s win out here and only here. But for pop/edm/hip hop/jazz/some modern indie, etc...these are winners and a really fun sounding headphone that can be driven straight from a phone without an amp.

I'm impressed with these, and they sure look nice hanging on my wall and are extremely well made and attractive. They're a winner if you want something on the warm and bassy side and a bit darker.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #485 of 582
My thoughts exactly...the Neo are definitely dark and bassy, yet they do a nice job of trying to keep both the mids and highs present; this is what sets them apart from most bassy closed backs. It has some soundstage and space, especially for a closed back...more than my Sennheiser Momentum 2s...but it's not going to compete with a good open back when it comes to having a nice airy sound. It is typically just a bit congested in terms of being "in your head". I get this sort of impression from all closed back cans though. Also, it isn't best suited for classic rock or distorted guitar...just too bass heavy and not enough mid-range bite. It'll work for certain things better than others, being very hit or miss for rock/metal...my Momentum 2s win out here and only here. But for pop/edm/hip hop/jazz/some modern indie, etc...these are winners and a really fun sounding headphone that can be driven straight from a phone without an amp.

I'm impressed with these, and they sure look nice hanging on my wall and are extremely well made and attractive. They're a winner if you want something on the warm and bassy side and a bit darker.

The 99 Classics are true champions for Rock. Beats the pants off my M2s. Has all the bass punch of Neo, but way clearer mids, with great crunch and bite for guitars.

May 16, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #486 of 582
How do you think I ended up with so many? :)
I hear ya!!

Amazing to me all the time that this hobby ended up becoming a lifestyle for me.

Something that I must say again is that the Meze99 classic and Neo are 2 headphones that I have such an easy time enjoying. There are some headphones out there that the sound signature are made in a way that it can be enjoyed by the masses. I feel the HD600 is a prime example of this, and also the 650. The Meze 99 and Neo are easily in this range for that category.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #487 of 582
I hear ya!!

Amazing to me all the time that this hobby ended up becoming a lifestyle for me.

Something that I must say again is that the Meze99 classic and Neo are 2 headphones that I have such an easy time enjoying. There are some headphones out there that the sound signature are made in a way that it can be enjoyed by the masses. I feel the HD600 is a prime example of this, and also the 650. The Meze 99 and Neo are easily in this range for that category.

I totally agree. However, Meze has one big advantage: they can sound great straight out of the cell phone!

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #489 of 582
The 99 Classics are true champions for Rock. Beats the pants off my M2s. Has all the bass punch of Neo, but way clearer mids, with great crunch and bite for guitars.
I couldn't agree more. I use both the Neo and 99 classics specifically for portable use (sometimes desktop) and they beat the pants off of everything else I pretty much own. Not on the desktop though but for portable?...they're as good as it gets for me at least. For progressive metal, progressive rock, Djent and anything instrumental along with distorted guitar, both these headphones kill it, especially the Neo.

I hear ya!!

Again, I have an entire stall of HP's that are conducive for potable use but I NEVER reach for anything else except for the 2 Meze's. As you said Craig, you just automatically reach for them because they just sound so good. Nice and punchy/tight bass, non sibilant treble with pretty spot on mids. I rarely hear the bass bleeding into the mids unless there's a very poor recorded track where it was their intention to have that super heavy mid bass bump in their mix. Otherwise, both these cans are pretty neutral except the emphasized bass which I personally love.

I totally agree. However, Meze has one big advantage: they can sound great straight out of the cell phone!
Even though both Meze's sound great straight from the Phone jack, with the DFR, they're elevated a few notches. The DFR is a bit bright which helps as they're both pretty dark per say (even though I think they're perfect) and it actually tames the bass just enough where they both become even more punchy and tight. The DAC on the DFR is really good and the amp is "OK" The Neo and DFR are a match made in heaven and sounds better then my desktop gear which is a MJ2 and Gumby. That shouldn't be!! :)

On another note, Venus Audio is modding the 99 classics for me with the 3d printed earcup plug-in inserts along with a balanced cable. Pretty reasonable too. I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing what the 99 Classics sound like with a 4 pin XLR balanced cable on my desktop gear.

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #493 of 582
Guys, as you already spotted, we have a new "baby" in the house — the 99 series 2.5mm balanced cable designed especially for the 99 Classics and 99 Neo headphones.

It is made of high-quality Silver Plated OFC cable, coated with soft transparent thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) and the audio quality is something we're proud of. Mostly because they give a serious boost to your listening experience, all at a much affordable price.

And they are compatible with 2.5mm balanced out for the DAP's made by Astell and Kern, Fiio, Onkyo, Cayin, Questyle, iBasso and other devices.

Also, as a thank you for the support you have shown us along the way, we're offering you head-fiers 20% off of the regular price of the 2.5mm balanced cable when using the HEADFI2.5 discount code at checkout on www.mezeaudio.com or www.mezeaudio.eu.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #494 of 582
Just got my Neo. Impressions from the Classics thread:
"I got the 99 Neo today, and I'm a little suprised at the vocals: they're really low in the mix compared to my previous headphone, the Audio Technica M50s.
Signal is Spotify (highest quality) -> Schiit Bifrost -> Schiit Magni 3 -> Meze Neo

I definitely hear the improved treble clarity. Hi-hats in particular and ride cymbals (I listen pretty much only Extreme Metal types these days so it's noticeable). The bass doesn't appear to be better or worse... if anything I'd say there's a little less separation vs. the M50s.
But I'm very surprised at the vocals. It's a VERY different experience. Especially as the M50s are famously V-shaped in their sound signature, I'd have expected a more even sound signature vs. further recessed midrange here.

Is this a common experience when switching to these headphones?"

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #495 of 582
Hey, this is kind of random, but if anyone can help me with this, I'd be much appreciated.

I'm thinking of buying the Meze 99 Neo. I would be using them as an all-purpose pair of headphones, so not only for home use but also when on the go. However, I have doubts regarding just how portable these headphones are as well their noise isolation.

First of all, I know they're closed headphones so they should be able to block out most external noise just fine, but in a louder environment such as a bus, with the motor running and radio playing, would I be able to listen to my music without having to turn the volume all the way up? Basically, I'd like to know just how good the passive noise-cancellation on these headphones is.

Secondly, are they too big to wear and carry outside? I don't really care that they don't fold, I just want to know whether it can be practical to use them as portable headphones or if that's a bad idea.

That's pretty much everything I wanted to know, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back