Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #331 of 582
The Neo's are superb! My only complaint is that after about 4 albums they become uncomfortable. I can wear my Senn 600's all day, every day.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #332 of 582
I don't know if Zeos messed up his Neo sound demo somehow, but the Neos didn't sound as clear as the Classics. :triportsad:

The Neo is more bass-heavy and less clear because of it. If you've read many of the reviews, that should come as no surprise.

Sep 3, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #333 of 582
I may just use the buds for portability since they are not screaming "snatch me", and get the silver and walnut for home and long distance travel use.

That sounds like a good idea. I love my Neos for home use either plugged into a dap while I move around the house and garden, or sometimes connected to my tube amp while I relax on the sofa. i have never taken them out and about.

Sep 3, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #334 of 582
That sounds like a good idea. I love my Neos for home use either plugged into a dap while I move around the house and garden, or sometimes connected to my tube amp while I relax on the sofa. i have never taken them out and about.

Pretty much how I use my Classics. Momentum are my OTG, my HD 600 are my desk drivers, and the Meze is what takes my mind out of reality and puts my soul at ease; They are my Zen cans.

:metal::sunglasses:

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #335 of 582
I will be honest I absolutely hated the first gen momentums...but really like the M2. This discussion is just going on and on. There are plenty of reviews that say the same basic thing. The Classic are clearer and the Neo are more bassy but with listening time you don't notice the bass as much as when you first put them on. I would take either Meze over the Momentum 1st Gen. If you want to save a little money and have a more subtle look, go Neo. If the extra money is no big deal and you don't mind the flashiness of the Classics, get them. I would bet you will enjoy either.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #336 of 582
The Neo is more bass-heavy and less clear because of it. If you've read many of the reviews, that should come as no surprise.

Have you seen Zeos' review though? I was not expecting that much muddiness to where even someone commented that it sounded like his worse sound review ever. Which is why I wondered if maybe he didn't position them right or something. That doesn't match the reviews here. No one said it was THAT much less clearer than the Classics, just that the Classics had the edge but the Neos were still stellar. I have V-Modas for bass heavy(don't like Beats), probably not looking for another unless they break.

I should clarify that I thought the Neos had more bass but not exactly overwhelming.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #337 of 582
I will be honest I absolutely hated the first gen momentums...but really like the M2. This discussion is just going on and on. There are plenty of reviews that say the same basic thing. The Classic are clearer and the Neo are more bassy but with listening time you don't notice the bass as much as when you first put them on. I would take either Meze over the Momentum 1st Gen. If you want to save a little money and have a more subtle look, go Neo. If the extra money is no big deal and you don't mind the flashiness of the Classics, get them. I would bet you will enjoy either.

So in other words, you'd like me to shut up and make a decision. :o2smile: OK, sorry to have bothered you all, but I wanted to make sure. Probably going with the Classics after all. Clarity is more important to me than bass right now.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #338 of 582
Have you seen Zeos' review though? I was not expecting that much muddiness to where even someone commented that it sounded like his worse sound review ever. Which is why I wondered if maybe he didn't position them right or something. That doesn't match the reviews here. No one said it was THAT much less clearer than the Classics, just that the Classics had the edge but the Neos were still stellar. I have V-Modas for bass heavy(don't like Beats), probably not looking for another unless they break.

I should clarify that I thought the Neos had more bass but not exactly overwhelming.

Is this review posted here on Head-fi, because I don't believe I have read it. Regardless, the 99 Neo are not muddy by any definition of the word. Powerful, prominent, but well defined.

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #339 of 582
Is this review posted here on Head-fi, because I don't believe I have read it. Regardless, the 99 Neo are not muddy by any definition of the word. Powerful, prominent, but well defined.

Actually it's the sound demo. He has a separate review video. He actually likes them but the difference between his Classics demo and the Neos demo is apparent. Although, like I said, maybe his set-up wasn't ideal. I'm already skating on thin ice annoying people, so I'll just shut up for now and get the Classics some time in the near future.

Posted the wrong demo at first, LOL. Listening through my Grados again(used a different set the first time), I'm still getting Neos more muffled over the Classics.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #340 of 582
Regarding the Momentums, the "over ear" version was fine, it was the "on ear" version that had problems (and they were less expensive). Sennheiser dropped the "on ear" version when they introduced "version 2".

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #341 of 582

Actually it's the sound demo. He has a separate review video. He actually likes them but the difference between his Classics demo and the Neos demo is apparent. Although, like I said, maybe his set-up wasn't ideal. I'm already skating on thin ice annoying people, so I'll just shut up for now and get the Classics some time in the near future.

Posted the wrong demo, LOL.

Are you talking about Z Reviews on YouTube? If so, know that the "Sound Demo" he does (and others sites I have heard) with each headphone is absolutely 100% pointless, almost an insulting joke! You can't possibly even come close to getting an accurate representation as to what the headphones sound like. Headphone--> mic-> -computer--> video editor--> compressor--> YouTube--> your ISP --> your computer/phone--> it's DAC-- > your Headphone... and you expect to get a sound that resembles what they actually sound like?! Sorry for sounding snarky, but come on now, use some common sense!!

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #342 of 582
Are you talking about Z Reviews on YouTube? If so, know that the "Sound Demo" he does (and others sites I have heard) with each headphone is absolutely 100% pointless, almost an insulting joke! You can't possibly even come close to getting an accurate representation as to what the headphones sound like. Headphone--> mic-> -computer--> video editor--> compressor--> YouTube--> your ISP --> your computer/phone--> it's DAC-- > your Headphone... and you expect to get a sound that resembles what they actually sound like?! Sorry for sounding snarky, but come on now, use some common sense!!

That's as close to a demo as I can get because there's no way for me to do a live demo. Even if not ideal, I can still get some idea. I've had to send back several sets of other headphones because the sound was not as reviewers said, at least not to me. I still have a couple of sets that are a big bore compared to what others said. Even Best Buy's Magnolia live demos seem a bit rigged. I ended up with muddy headphones when the demo was way better. Say what you will but I'm just trying to cut down on all the disappoint and returns.

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #343 of 582
That's as close to a demo as I can get because there's no way for me to do a live demo. Even if not ideal, I can still get some idea. I've had to send back several sets of other headphones because the sound was not as reviewers said, at least not to me. I still have a couple of sets that are a big bore compared to what others said. Even Best Buy's Magnolia live demos seem a bit rigged. I ended up with muddy headphones when the demo was way better. Say what you will but I'm just trying to cut down on all the disappoint and returns.

Understandable. I am going to make the choice for you: Get the 99 Classics, and forget all you know, or think you know! They are amazing headphones and you will love them! No more questions, just smash the buy button and get the maples!

The next thing I wanna read from you is " Wow, these are amazing headphones! Thanks guys! " :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::thumbsup:

Sep 4, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #344 of 582
Maybe I'm totally off-base here. But when I'm in an "urban" environment where I'm concerned about my headphones being stolen or worse, the last thing I want is to cover-up the 'street noise'. I kinda want to hear if someone/something is coming at me.

Ditto for out in the woods. Definitely NOT safe to be hiking and not able to hear the environment...

Just a thought...
When I intend to stroll through the dark alley ways of an urban environment I make sure I bring my Walnut 99 classics with me. That way my head blends into the darkness better then if I were to wear the maples... People can't steal or beat up what they can't see :wink:. BUT I make sure I bring the maples with me as well so I can switch back over when I walk through the super SWANK sections of town. Having both on me at the same time can become a little cumbersome, but you know- safety first!
maxresdefault.jpg

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #345 of 582
When I intend to stroll through the dark alley ways of an urban environment I make sure I bring my Walnut 99 classics with me. That way my head blends into the darkness better then if I were to wear the maples... People can't steal or beat up what they can't see :wink:. BUT I make sure I bring the maples with me as well so I can switch back over when I walk through the super SWANK sections of town. Having both on me at the same time can become a little cumbersome, but you know- safety first!
maxresdefault.jpg
Lol...my post referencing the "looks" of Classics vs. Neo really had nothing to do with theft, low class dumb down, mid class keeping up with Joneses or bougie attitude. It was about personal preference. I don't like wearing flashy stuff, even my IEM's are all very plain and subdued. I prefer the black over the wood when in public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back