Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #346 of 582
Lol...my post referencing the "looks" of Classics vs. Neo really had nothing to do with theft, low class dumb down, mid class keeping up with Joneses or bougie attitude. It was about personal preference. I don't like wearing flashy stuff, even my IEM's are all very plain and subdued. I prefer the black over the wood when in public.
I hope you know I meant no offense to what you were saying, and I was specifically just trying to be funny in regards to what @DivaFonda said.

But in all seriousness looking at it, @DivaFonda if you're in that kind of bad environment I wouldn't want anything to make me look different from anyone else on the street... the neo would fit the bill and no one would know the value of them.

People still wouldn't know about the classics price tag but the wood definetly draws more attention.

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #347 of 582
Plus, who wants attention drawn to them, regardless of the reason? I think I speak for most of us that when we wear headphones while out and about we are simply trying to do what we need to do or go where we need to go and not be bothered by the distractions of the outside World. When going shopping do we put on our Sunday fancies or go out in sweats and a hoodie, so why wear headphones that could easily be considered modern art (in the case of the Mezes', timeless beauty)?

P.S. Beats are the most jacked headphones; Fools! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:metal::sunglasses:

Sep 4, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #348 of 582
I hope you know I meant no offense to what you were saying, and I was specifically just trying to be funny in regards to what @DivaFonda said.

But in all seriousness looking at it, @DivaFonda if you're in that kind of bad environment I wouldn't want anything to make me look different from anyone else on the street... the neo would fit the bill and no one would know the value of them.

People still wouldn't know about the classics price tag but the wood definetly draws more attention.
No offense taken at all...

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #349 of 582
Speaking of attention... my Mr. Meeseeks t-shirt never fails to win me a compliment whenever I go out. :D

71WuKalskWL._UL1500_.jpg

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #350 of 582

Thanks for your insight. I'm not really in obvious bad environments; it's just that in Chicago and New York, you can be anywhere and get into trouble. Examples: someone just walked up to a friend of mine and snatched off his Gucci sunglasses. Some guy was ripping necklaces off women if they even looked expensive. And so and so on. Minneapolis has been OK so far but then it's more of a car environment than public transportation and street walking.

I haven't bought any serious Meze headphones yet, just the IEMs. I really like them so far.

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #351 of 582
Thanks for your insight. I'm not really in obvious bad environments; it's just that in Chicago and New York, you can be anywhere and get into trouble. Examples: someone just walked up to a friend of mine and snatched off his Gucci sunglasses. Some guy was ripping necklaces off women if they even looked expensive. And so and so on. Minneapolis has been OK so far but then it's more of a car environment than public transportation and street walking.

I haven't bought any serious Meze headphones yet, just the IEMs. I really like them so far.
i'm glad your enjoying them!

Yeah I understand what your saying now. It's the world we live in now. It could happen anywhere but certain cities are more notorious then others for sure (NY, Chicago as you mentioned). Thankfully where we are situated in Pittsburgh I don't have to worry as much about blinged out headphones! :wink:

in regards to the Meze Iem, you have the Classic or the Neo?

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #352 of 582
i'm glad your enjoying them!

Yeah I understand what your saying now. It's the world we live in now. It could happen anywhere but certain cities are more notorious then others for sure (NY, Chicago as you mentioned). Thankfully where we are situated in Pittsburgh I don't have to worry as much about blinged out headphones! :wink:

in regards to the Meze Iem, you have the Classic or the Neo?

Neo 11 in gunmetal. Very discreet so I don't think I'd have a problem with those.

Sep 11, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #353 of 582
I'm really tempted to take advantage of the Focal Elear sale. I know they're completely different from Meze and also a significant investment even with the sale($700 now). The reason why I'm tempted though, is because the Elears are entry level true high end. But honest thoughts, would I just be wasting my money and be better off with the Meze? The reason is because I don't have high end stereo equipment, which I think the Elears might be meant for. I'm just really tempted to see if $1000 headphones really sound so much better.

P.S. I would ONLY use them indoors, no way would I risk trouble with those. Plus they're open.

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #354 of 582
I'm really tempted to take advantage of the Focal Elear sale. I know they're completely different from Meze and also a significant investment even with the sale($700 now). The reason why I'm tempted though, is because the Elears are entry level true high end. But honest thoughts, would I just be wasting my money and be better off with the Meze? The reason is because I don't have high end stereo equipment, which I think the Elears might be meant for. I'm just really tempted to see if $1000 headphones really sound so much better.

P.S. I would ONLY use them indoors, no way would I risk trouble with those. Plus they're open.
The Elears would be a big step in improvement in my opinion. Don't forget that they are an open can versus the Meze so if closed is a necessity then that obviously changes things...
(Listening to Meze99 classics and Elear now)
Just like the Meze, the Elears are easier to drive so that would be beneficial to you in regards to NOT needing a super maxed out amp to really let them shine... Do you have a headphone amp or dac? running right out of a phone you would be better off with the Meze but I can't speak for wether that difference would be worth the money or not with still getting the Elear. To me it is, since down the road you could always add an amp to the mix.

Running out of a phone would mean that you would need to put a 3.5 adaptor on the Elear since its cable is terminated 2.5. I personally don't like that since I think it's cumbersome but the Elear is expected to be used with equipment at home.

I think your max budget and how important this hobby is to you in the long run would help me understand what would be the better investment.

Feel free to ask me more questions here or PM if you just want to talk more about the Elear and don't want to get off topic.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #355 of 582
If you have smaller ears, the original version of the Sennheiser Momentums may be just the thing. They are stellar! I own them, as well as the Neos and a couple of others. Still find my Senn 600's the "go to" but enjoy the others. Check out the V1 Momentums - they are very inexpensive on the used market.

I like my V1 Momentums a lot. I wish I could listen to my HD 600's at work more, but the open design bothers my co-workers too much. Even though the Momentums don't sound quite as good as the 600's they are still very good -- I sometimes even prefer them for rock.

The other key thing at work is the fact that I use the Momentum V1's with my phone which also means that I can take calls without taking the headphones off. Can't do that with the HD 600's.

Need to make more time outside of the office to listen to my 600's...and I wouldn't mind a chance to listen to some of those 99's that y'all are raving about.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #356 of 582
Just picked these up off Amazon. Enjoying them so far these past 30 minutes. Used out of my Opus#1 and through my Burson Conductor Air DAC & Schiit Magni 2 Uber.

Need to go through this thread but I'm assuming people have tried HM5 pads? Also, replacement cable (not that stock is bad)

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #357 of 582
Just picked these up off Amazon. Enjoying them so far these past 30 minutes. Used out of my Opus#1 and through my Burson Conductor Air DAC & Schiit Magni 2 Uber.

Need to go through this thread but I'm assuming people have tried HM5 pads? Also, replacement cable (not that stock is bad)

Glad you like them.

Meze offers replacement cables, which are balanced, but the single ended cable is really good in my experience.

As for HM5, some people like them, some dont, depends on how they change the sound for you.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #358 of 582
Glad you like them.

Meze offers replacement cables, which are balanced, but the single ended cable is really good in my experience.

As for HM5, some people like them, some dont, depends on how they change the sound for you.

$149 for that balanced is not that bad, the balanced out of my Opus performs better than the SE. For my M2U it takes 6.3 so I'd be using 2 adapters on the 2.5, IDK if that will hinder the sound at all, guessing not much if at all. Thanks. Will def keep it in mind!

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #359 of 582
$149 for that balanced is not that bad, the balanced out of my Opus performs better than the SE. For my M2U it takes 6.3 so I'd be using 2 adapters on the 2.5, IDK if that will hinder the sound at all, guessing not much if at all. Thanks. Will def keep it in mind!

If the connectors are high quality, they shouldn't change the sound, but adding anything in the signal path is not the best.

I don't think that a 6.3 connector is Balanced, and I really have to say this, don't connect Balanced cables to SE outputs or SE cables to Balanced outputs, you can short something. SE connects to SE and Balanced to Balanced, this is how it should be done.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #360 of 582
If the connectors are high quality, they shouldn't change the sound, but adding anything in the signal path is not the best.

I don't think that a 6.3 connector is Balanced, and I really have to say this, don't connect Balanced cables to SE outputs or SE cables to Balanced outputs, you can short something. SE connects to SE and Balanced to Balanced, this is how it should be done.

What it shows is the 2.5 TRRS goes into the supplied adapter that comes out as 3.5TRS. The female has to be 2.5TRRS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back