Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #316 of 582
I do prefer the Classics more, and find them just as good for outside use as the Neos.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #317 of 582
I do prefer the Classics more, and find them just as good for outside use as the Neos.

Thank you! Unfortunately I am often in urban areas where people think your stuff should be theirs, if you know what I mean. It doesn't always matter the neighborhood either. There were robberies in Chicago recently, in wealthy areas. Don't even get me started about what might happen in NYC! I think the Classics would attract attention although the Neos look similar. People seem to recognize and steal Beats more often it seems though. But you never know. I did buy a pair of the Meze 11 to tide me over while making the decision though. :ksc75smile: Buds are easier to carry.

In Minneapolis, I do find I'm able to be more open with expensive items.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #318 of 582
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #319 of 582
But Pinky you are kind of flamboyant that way

So true...

8TGbAaLpc.png

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #320 of 582
Thank you! Unfortunately I am often in urban areas where people think your stuff should be theirs, if you know what I mean. It doesn't always matter the neighborhood either. There were robberies in Chicago recently, in wealthy areas. Don't even get me started about what might happen in NYC! I think the Classics would attract attention although the Neos look similar. People seem to recognize and steal Beats more often it seems though. But you never know. I did buy a pair of the Meze 11 to tide me over while making the decision though. :ksc75smile: Buds are easier to carry.

In Minneapolis, I do find I'm able to be more open with expensive items.

Like the others have said, either headphone are a great choice, and it is hard to recommend one over the other because we are not you, nor do we know what your ears like. Though I will say that reading up on your urban environment and your intended use, in my opinion the Neo are the better choice. When I take the Classics out in the wild they literally cause heads to turn; Wearing the Neo nobody seemed to care. The Neo blend in with other black and silver headphones and tend to remain ambiguous. Both sound pretty much the same when out and about, so save yourself a few bucks as well as fear of being jacked and get yourself the 99 Neo!

:metal::sunglasses:

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #321 of 582
Exactly my thoughts I never wore Classics outside...and Neo is bad enough with the headband contraption...but the color combo mutes the attention a bit. One more thing the "added" bass is better in an urban environment because it helps with street noise

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #322 of 582
Exactly my thoughts I never wore Classics outside...and Neo is bad enough with the headband contraption...but the color combo mutes the attention a bit. One more thing the "added" bass is better in an urban environment because it helps with street noise

And helps with hats and shades/glasses too!

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #323 of 582
Maybe I'm totally off-base here. But when I'm in an "urban" environment where I'm concerned about my headphones being stolen or worse, the last thing I want is to cover-up the 'street noise'. I kinda want to hear if someone/something is coming at me.

Ditto for out in the woods. Definitely NOT safe to be hiking and not able to hear the environment...

Just a thought...

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #324 of 582
Maybe I'm totally off-base here. But when I'm in an "urban" environment where I'm concerned about my headphones being stolen or worse, the last thing I want is to cover-up the 'street noise'. I kinda want to hear if someone/something is coming at me.

Ditto for out in the woods. Definitely NOT safe to be hiking and not able to hear the environment...

Just a thought...

While I see your point, I don't think Diva is talking about dark back-ally streets or stereotypical bad neighbourhoods where you can get shanked by wearing the wrong colour. I have both seen and heard about headphone (and iPod, CD player, smart-phone, shoes, hat) robberies at the bus terminal, at University, yuppy avenue (every city has one), and in the mall, basically places where large groups of people frequent that increases the odds of the number of potential unsavoury individuals (usually in groups) who see that your X is better than their Y and feel the need to forcefully take it. Personally, I would be more concerned about blocking out traffic. In regards to the Neo, no city bus was able to sneak up on me.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #325 of 582
While I see your point, I don't think Diva is talking about dark back-ally streets or stereotypical bad neighbourhoods where you can get shanked by wearing the wrong colour. I have both seen and heard about headphone (and iPod, CD player, smart-phone, shoes, hat) robberies at the bus terminal, at University, yuppy avenue (every city has one), and in the mall, basically places where large groups of people frequent that increases the odds of the number of potential unsavoury individuals (usually in groups) who see that your X is better than their Y and feel the need to forcefully take it. Personally, I would be more concerned about blocking out traffic. In regards to the Neo, no city bus was able to sneak up on me.

Thank you! Yes, I usually stay away from known dangerous areas but nothing is guaranteed. Believe me, upscale areas are NOT immune. I also do need to listen for traffic so blocking all outside noise is not preferable. I usually just keep the volume midway anyway so I can hear the streets.

One thing I realized is that the Neos might be too big for me. I have a smaller head which is why on-ears don't bother me as much as they do others. With over-ears, I tend to appear overwhelmed a bit. I've seen people say the Classics are tighter, which is what I'd need. Decisions, decisions. In the meantime, the Meze 11 Neos arrived and are great after a day's burn-in, even on an iPhone!

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #326 of 582
If you have smaller ears, the original version of the Sennheiser Momentums may be just the thing. They are stellar! I own them, as well as the Neos and a couple of others. Still find my Senn 600's the "go to" but enjoy the others. Check out the V1 Momentums - they are very inexpensive on the used market.

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #327 of 582
If you have smaller ears, the original version of the Sennheiser Momentums may be just the thing. They are stellar! I own them, as well as the Neos and a couple of others. Still find my Senn 600's the "go to" but enjoy the others. Check out the V1 Momentums - they are very inexpensive on the used market.

I had a chance to get a pair brand new for $100 years ago, when they were still higher priced. I passed on that deal and still wonder if I made a mistake. Senns are a Holy Grail for many. But right now, I'm looking at Meze because post after post, except maybe for two people, are raving about both models of the full-sized. I have a pair of silver walnuts in my cart but didn't pull the trigger just yet.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #328 of 582
I had a chance to get a pair brand new for $100 years ago, when they were still higher priced. I passed on that deal and still wonder if I made a mistake. Senns are a Holy Grail for many. But right now, I'm looking at Meze because post after post, except maybe for two people, are raving about both models of the full-sized. I have a pair of silver walnuts in my cart but didn't pull the trigger just yet.

While I will always recommend both the Classics and Neo over the Momentum in respect to overall sound quality and resolve, I have to recommend the latter for on-the-go, hands down. Sound wise, when out and about they sound pretty much identical. It's only when you sit down at home where the environment is (presumably) quiet and controlled do you start to hear any real difference (even when comparing the Classics to the Neo). But that is not what I am getting at, rather the Momentum are much more sleek to wear and their construction are actually tailored for on-the-go. I have owned the Momentums since their release and will always remain as my go to daily driver when I leave the house. Plus, nobody knows I am wearing the Momentum, often asking me what cheap retro cans I am wearing; At least they know I am not wearing Beats. As popular as the Momentum are amongst those in the community, they still remain rather ambiguous and I have only noticed one person in my city wearing them, and that's because she had the creme colour. ATM-M50, Skull Candy, and them super popular round Sony mega bass (don't care to look them up for a proper model as I don't think highly of Sony products) are what I constantly see people wearing that really stick out. Heck, I have seen/noticed more people wearing Sennheiser HD 471, HD 598C, and HD 569 than Beats. Momentum are sleepers, through and through.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #329 of 582
While I will always recommend both the Classics and Neo over the Momentum in respect to overall sound quality and resolve, I have to recommend the latter for on-the-go, hands down. Sound wise, when out and about they sound pretty much identical. It's only when you sit down at home where the environment is (presumably) quiet and controlled do you start to hear any real difference (even when comparing the Classics to the Neo). But that is not what I am getting at, rather the Momentum are much more sleek to wear and their construction are actually tailored for on-the-go. I have owned the Momentums since their release and will always remain as my go to daily driver when I leave the house. Plus, nobody knows I am wearing the Momentum, often asking me what cheap retro cans I am wearing; At least they know I am not wearing Beats. As popular as the Momentum are amongst those in the community, they still remain rather ambiguous and I have only noticed one person in my city wearing them, and that's because she had the creme colour. ATM-M50, Skull Candy, and them super popular round Sony mega bass (don't care to look them up for a proper model as I don't think highly of Sony products) are what I constantly see people wearing that really stick out. Heck, I have seen/noticed more people wearing Sennheiser HD 471, HD 598C, and HD 569 than Beats. Momentum are sleepers, through and through.

Just went to look at reviews on Amazon. People have been griping about Momentum 1 build quality on Amazon for some time now. Sounds like the second version isn't fairing any better. I just don't know. Although that's Amazon, not Head-Fi(people here are likely more careful with headphones to begin with), real world usage matters.

I may just use the buds for portability since they are not screaming "snatch me", and get the silver and walnut for home and long distance travel use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back