Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #361 of 582
What it shows is the 2.5 TRRS goes into the supplied adapter that comes out as 3.5TRS. The female has to be 2.5TRRS

I'm confused....

2.5 TRRS splits into 2 X 2.5MM connectors for each cup, but those connectors each have Ground and signal of their own, Balanced means that

where a 3.5 MM has Ground, Left Right

a Balanced 2.5mm has Left - (Left Ground), Right - (right Ground), Left, right.

At least this is what I've gathered so far.

The point was that you should not connect the 2.5mm Balanced connector to a Single Ended output, and you should avoid connecting a single ended cable to a connecotor output. A cables expert might be able to give better advice, since I just respected this rule of thumb, but some people might halso know why this is the case.

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #362 of 582
Sep 17, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #363 of 582
I highly doubt they would sell a dangerous product and I think yeah that 2.5 to 3.5 is fine but 3.5 to 2.5 is not able to work....unless its a 3.5 TRRS which is not usual to find, I believe Trinity Audio offers it

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #364 of 582
I highly doubt they would sell a dangerous product and I think yeah that 2.5 to 3.5 is fine but 3.5 to 2.5 is not able to work....unless its a 3.5 TRRS which is not usual to find, I believe Trinity Audio offers it

Oh yes :darthsmile:

What I think it does, is that when you use that adapter, you're using a SE signal, but you can also plug it using just the 2.5mm connector and use a Balanced signal :gs1000smile:

I think :)

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #365 of 582
Yeah I'll use just the balanced to my Opus and then if I want to use with the M2U I just add the 3.5 adapter and then the 6.3 adapter. It sounds super clean out of the M2U

Wish there was more L/R distinction than the mic on left and the hard to read lettering

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #366 of 582
Got them a couple of days ago. Review here. Get Audio Technica MSR7 pads (in black, easily found on EBay and I think Amazon too) if you own these. They fix every sonic issue I had found in these. It looks like the silver clamps holding the flexible strap to the outer metal frame wires are removable (I've messaged Meze to ask) with hopefully a screwdriver and I may be trying a "big head" mod on these since my head is a little long and wide for them to fit comfortably. These cans are nearly perfect. Read more about my impressions with the fit and the pad replacement at this link here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/meze-99-neo.22329/reviews#review-19363

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #367 of 582
In with the new.

Are you still monitoring this thread? I'd like to know if it's possible to disassemble the silver colored part that attaches the adjustable headband to the two outer rings at four points. They seem riveted in place, unable to be unscrewed, though a reviewer of the Meze Classic actually did that, posting pictures of that here.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #369 of 582
Hey @Mark Up sure we do. Yes, it is, indeed possible to disassemble those parts. You have to use a Torx T6 screwdriver to unscrew the nuts.

Thanks for the reply. Can you please reply to the message I sent you, I have a separate question about the headphones and don't want to take up too much of the discussion thread here.
If you are anyone else tries the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads out ($9 on EBay, link below, sold here/ in the USA) let me know your experience. They would slightly have an increase in clamping force so if you have a large head they barely fit on, you may not be comfortable. Hence why I would do a "big head" mod on them. Luckily that can be done without any damage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earpads-Re...var=452136194309&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nov 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #370 of 582
Guys, I'm about to smash the Buy button but I still have a few questions.

I'm actually selling the Momentum M2 (circum) because I find them too ... annoying / not well detailed.
I'm comparing them to my Dunu's DN-2000 IEM which I really LOVE. It is exactly the sound signature I'm looking for : detailed, punchy, not-fatiguing and overall "fun".

So I search new headphones (for the cold weather hehe) that are pretty similar to what I wrote AND that are "nomad compatible".

Do you think the 99 Neo will do ?

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #372 of 582
The Neo will give you a bassy signature, the details do shine through but be prepared for an overall bassy tone.
Bassy, but a good kind of bassy. Mids and treble are still quit good, as is the detail. But yeah, they are an excellent bass headphone

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #373 of 582
Very detailed but remarkably smooth in the highs despite this, no annoying peaks, few do this balance as well. Using Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads further enhance detail, sound stage, and give your ears more comfortable space - as well as keeping all the low bass, and clearing up low mids, and mid bass. Less than $10 on EBay.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #374 of 582
Hello guys, so I just received these headphones this morning.

I have the Dunu DN-2000 IEM that I love (punchy, lots of details, clear sound) and also the Momentum M2 Overear which I find... meh. I really like the "portableness" but the sound is too laid back / shy for my taste.

So, I immediately tested the beautiful (but kinda big) 99 Neo out of the box and wow, the sound is clear and smooth. I've been smiling all day long listening to a huge variety of styles (from heavy metal to rap, classic, edm...).
I'm planning to test it for 2 days playing music all day and then try some burning tests with pink noise (~40 hours).

So far I'm really satisfied. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back