Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #376 of 582
Yes, I've seen your advice and I will, although I find the default ones very comfy :x

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #377 of 582
Yes, I've seen your advice and I will, although I find the default ones very comfy :x

I have been more than happy with my Neo using the stock pads. I see no need to change them.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #378 of 582
Consider getting the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 pads on EBay (usually about $10 - $15 with postage included). They will greatly enhance sound.

New Neo owner here. So far, I'm quite impressed. Definitely bassy but in a good way. I happen to have some eBay MSR7 pads left over from an experiment with Audeze Sines. Going to give them a try. Have no issues with the stock pads though. Build quality, case, cable, stock pads, packaging... everything is top quality. Feel like I got a great deal for $200.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #379 of 582
Hello guys, so I just received these headphones this morning.

I have the Dunu DN-2000 IEM that I love (punchy, lots of details, clear sound) and also the Momentum M2 Overear which I find... meh. I really like the "portableness" but the sound is too laid back / shy for my taste.

So, I immediately tested the beautiful (but kinda big) 99 Neo out of the box and wow, the sound is clear and smooth. I've been smiling all day long listening to a huge variety of styles (from heavy metal to rap, classic, edm...).
I'm planning to test it for 2 days playing music all day and then try some burning tests with pink noise (~40 hours).

So far I'm really satisfied. :)

Really glad to hear you're having so much fun!

This sounds right, considering my own experience, somehow the bass is more rounded and has more detail, providing a more engaging sound with 99Neo than M2 series.

Nov 28, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #380 of 582
I have been more than happy with my Neo using the stock pads. I see no need to change them.

Comfort is the main reason you'd want to change the pads, but I had good experience so far as well. I might order some sheepskins just for the kicks, but I think that the pads are awesome so far!

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #382 of 582
Hello guys,

Has anyone done the exercise to remove the damper to the front of the 99 Neo driver? The 99 classic does not have that damper for example. It would be an interesting experiment ...

You can be the one to experiment:) I am not going to void the warranty on my Neo! Anyway, I am happy with the sound as it is.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #383 of 582
Hello guys,

Has anyone done the exercise to remove the damper to the front of the 99 Neo driver? The 99 classic does not have that damper for example. It would be an interesting experiment ...
Search the thread...I think someone did that a long time ago. I think I remember some posts about that.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #384 of 582
You can be the one to experiment:) I am not going to void the warranty on my Neo! Anyway, I am happy with the sound as it is.

I think I'll buy one this Saturday, but first I'll listen to it in the shop... I like what is mentioned about a full bodied sound, clear with warm ambience and great soundstage, but I hope not to find a very uncontrolled bass . I like the bass, in fact I've had the Momentum On Ear v1, Urbanite and the Oriveti Basic. Now I have the K553 as a loan and I definitely feel that it sounds very thin, something bright and sometimes sibilant, but quite clear and precise at all frequencies.

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #385 of 582
I think I'll buy one this Saturday, but first I'll listen to it in the shop... I like what is mentioned about a full bodied sound, clear with warm ambience and great soundstage, but I hope not to find a very uncontrolled bass . I like the bass, in fact I've had the Momentum On Ear v1, Urbanite and the Oriveti Basic. Now I have the K553 as a loan and I definitely feel that it sounds very thin, something bright and sometimes sibilant, but quite clear and precise at all frequencies.

Personally I find the bass to be quite tight and controlled but everyone hears differently so... it will be interesting to hear what you think.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #386 of 582
Comfort is the main reason you'd want to change the pads

I found the MSR7 pads slightly better in terms of giving my ear more space. While they are plenty soft, the NEO stock pads are softer, plus because the MSR7 pads, despite being the same thickness, don't compress as much, the clamp does increase a little. The clamp is light to begin with and since I am 6'5", most things I find to be too small for my head anyway (headphones and hats especially). I will likely end up buying the NEO after enjoying the trial and will probably do a "Big Head Mod" by using a special tool to remove the adjustable strap on to the metal outer rings and just use them. It's so light (especially without that strap) it will be no issue and I have very thick hair on my crown which helps. This should allow me to stretch and bend the metal rings to be sure there is no excessive clamp for an ideal fit for me. That said, the main benefit to me is THE SOUND. The pads increase spaciousness, while not making things seem far away. The treble detail improves, just ever so slightly, though they're still very smooth up there. The mids are nearly unchanged, except the low mid and mid bass resonance, build up is completely fixed. They're definitely better sounding, even if you liked the sound originally with stock pads, they will surprise you. Also the sub bass remains just as great, rare with pad swaps.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #387 of 582
I found the MSR7 pads slightly better in terms of giving my ear more space. While they are plenty soft, the NEO stock pads are softer, plus because the MSR7 pads, despite being the same thickness, don't compress as much, the clamp does increase a little. The clamp is light to begin with and since I am 6'5", most things I find to be too small for my head anyway (headphones and hats especially). I will likely end up buying the NEO after enjoying the trial and will probably do a "Big Head Mod" by using a special tool to remove the adjustable strap on to the metal outer rings and just use them. It's so light (especially without that strap) it will be no issue and I have very thick hair on my crown which helps. This should allow me to stretch and bend the metal rings to be sure there is no excessive clamp for an ideal fit for me. That said, the main benefit to me is THE SOUND. The pads increase spaciousness, while not making things seem far away. The treble detail improves, just ever so slightly, though they're still very smooth up there. The mids are nearly unchanged, except the low mid and mid bass resonance, build up is completely fixed. They're definitely better sounding, even if you liked the sound originally with stock pads, they will surprise you. Also the sub bass remains just as great, rare with pad swaps.

I ordered yesterday these pads, I will tell if I share the same impressions. From my memories, I liked the comfort of the MSR7 pads (but the sound was so much brighter than I like). Hopefully I'll be as happy as you are !

Nov 29, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #388 of 582
I ordered yesterday these pads. From my memories, I liked the comfort of the MSR7 pads (but the sound was so much brighter than I like).
Yeah, the MSR7 is a little too bright for my taste also. They're very similar to the M70x which is even more harsh with less sub bass. The MSR7, while bright, did not totally lack in the subs which surprised me. I don't know if it was other design differences, or its pads. The key is to listen for the low mid / mid bass clean up they do.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #389 of 582
The NEO's continue to confound me. Not only are they the first headphones I have EVER experienced burn-in with, but now I find the FiiO i1 out of my iPhone X clearly superior to the standard Apple DAC. I turned in my Objectivist card years ago, but the difference with the little FiiO is almost enough to make be start swapping cables.

Nah, just kidding on that one. But still...

Anyway, bass is far more controlled, treble is smoother and clearer, and headstage is more refined. The differences are not small for me at all. It makes me question the need for a desktop rig in my home office.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #390 of 582
The NEO's continue to confound me. Not only are they the first headphones I have EVER experienced burn-in with, but now I find the FiiO i1 out of my iPhone X clearly superior to the standard Apple DAC.

So how did you proceed ? Just playing music or pink/white noise, sweeps etc ? For how long ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back