Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 29, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4,066 of 7,712
No quality of quantity lost, instead IMO, it improves the quality.
Exactly, bass is more clean, still there but with improved quality

May 29, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4,067 of 7,712
Does anyone know the difference between the 1st gen pads and 3rd gen pads? I mean I hear people praise the 1st gen pads. I just ordered these headphones from amazon and they come with the 3rd gen pads.

May 29, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #4,068 of 7,712
pictures please :)
icv5l2.jpg

flefkj.jpg

May 29, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #4,069 of 7,712
Exactly, bass is more clean, still there but with improved quality

Is there a difference in comfort? I really am happy with my Neo with the newer pads but if this is even more comfortable that would be nice. Which pads are those exactly? Do you have a link? They look really good.

May 29, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #4,070 of 7,712
I'm testing them now with this low quality track when bass hit they are very clean no boom, but i can feel that punch that's so nice with Meze Classics

Switching from Infected Mushrooms to Tools and different genres, I have the feeling that that "boomy" control improved consequentially the detail of them, they actually sound much better than before

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #4,071 of 7,712
Is there a difference in comfort? I really am happy with my Neo with the newer pads but if this is even more comfortable that would be nice. Which pads are those exactly? Do you have a link? They look really good.
Well they are really better about comfort, with the original ones I was feeling a bit of pressure on ears after long listening sessions, with these ones.. it's like not wearing any headphone!

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #4,073 of 7,712
May 30, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #4,074 of 7,712
FYI

I just received my custom charges for the 4XX and I wanted to share this information with the UK residents following our earlier conversation in this thread.

Charges due
Customs Entry £ 8.50
Import Duty £ 0.00
Import VAT £ 24.48
Total £ 32.98

But still I am sceptical for my choice due to the quality issues of hifiman, although the final price is great going back and forth from UK is not ideal if something happens.

The 6XX should have NON zero import duties because is above 150£. However, i am not sure if it should since these are made in Ireland but I do not know what to do about it.

If you think I am off topic and you want more info just pm me. However, as Meze might do some future massdrop (as it is very popular in votings there) offerings maybe this information is helpful for future reference.
And just to conclude my advise to my fellow UK residents my advise is to stay away from massdrop when it involves Hifiman products ...
IMG_20180530_194619497.jpg

Straight out of the box .Not even checking what they put in.

This in comparison with the pristine quality of my Meze products...

May 30, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #4,075 of 7,712
Can anyone recommend a nice portable DAC that could give me a sweet bass as well as good clarity for my brand new Meze 99 Classics? I'm looking for a portable DAC or DAP under $150 or £150 since my Samsung S8 has a proper bad DAC.

May 30, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #4,077 of 7,712
May 31, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #4,078 of 7,712
This or the Fiio Q1 MK2
Honestly, just get on amazon or ebay and snatch up one of the last Fiio Q1 MK1s if you're not going to use balanced output/cables...more power and it honestly sounds very good. The other idea, if you want to spend a bit more, would be to grab a Topping NX4 or NX4 DSD. The DSD has a better DAC chip, but also costs about $50 more...still within your range though. I have a 99 NEO, which doesn't need any bass boosting, but it plays nicely with my Q1MK1. You can also go to BH Photo Video's site and look into one of the last Fiio Alpen 2s.

I'd go with one of the NX4s though, as they seem to be one of the better spec/price deals going on right now.

May 31, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #4,079 of 7,712
Hey, So the brainwavz sheepskin ear pads arrived.
Put them on and had a quick listen to the usual songs.

Comfort wise, no doubt, its more comfortable compared to the original pads that were already comfortable enough.

Sound wise, I don't know if I really prefer this or the original pads. Especially the bass. I can't really describe, it just sounds different.
Have I been listening to "not so good quality bass" such that when I'm presented with supposed "better quality sounding bass", I'm not used to it?

Sorry for sounding so noob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back