Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 31, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #4,081 of 7,704
I have found no pad that sounds like the originals, I always had to go back to stock

I assume you mean the originals were the best sounding? Quality of bass and all?

May 31, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #4,082 of 7,704
May 31, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4,083 of 7,704
I have found no pad that sounds like the originals, I always had to go back to stock
That's good to know. I'm always debating about changing pads just due to the fact everyone else is. So many polarizing opinions on the different pads and what it does to the sound signature. Personally I have no issues with the original pads and have long listening sessions with no discomfort. I guess I must be one of the oddballs where the pads fit just fine for my ears AND are comfortable.

Panda, what was the best aftermarket pad you used that wasn't "that" bad where if the old one went south, you'd get "that" pad if the original weren't available anymore. Mine are starting to show some wear and it's gonna happen. It's eventually gonna happen to "everyone" with just normal usage, sweat, hanging on the stand if they touch the wood, etc.

May 31, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #4,084 of 7,704
Changing pads for this headphones... is hard :sob:

Anyway, I'm going to give the new pads a listen for a day or two. Then decide if I really miss the previous sound or I'll be better with the current ones.

May 31, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #4,085 of 7,704
Personally I have no issues with the original pads and have long listening sessions with no discomfort. I guess I must be one of the oddballs where the pads fit just fine for my ears AND are comfortable.

I must be an oddball too. I have no problems with my Neo...great sound, no discomfort.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #4,086 of 7,704
Hey, So the brainwavz sheepskin ear pads arrived.
Put them on and had a quick listen to the usual songs.

Comfort wise, no doubt, its more comfortable compared to the original pads that were already comfortable enough.

Sound wise, I don't know if I really prefer this or the original pads. Especially the bass. I can't really describe, it just sounds different.
Have I been listening to "not so good quality bass" such that when I'm presented with supposed "better quality sounding bass", I'm not used to it?

Sorry for sounding so noob.
I didn't use them for one day, then I used them again and they are still definitively bassy, but I truly like them more now, they sound more clear and clean, I like bass a lot but i'm not a basshead (one of the reason why I dont like any sony headphones .they are all too boomy , personal taste off course)

May 31, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #4,087 of 7,704
I must be an oddball too. I have no problems with me Neo...great sound, no discomfort.
I have a Neo as well, and love the pads overall as far as comfort and looks are concerned. The only thing for me is that I would really like to hear these with the "original pads" that were smaller and on the first run of the Classics pre-Neo. The Neo is my "bass headphone", and it sounds just fine for that...but I do feel like it's way, way, way too dark. Supposedly the newer/larger pad redesign is what causes this in the Neo and the newer Classics, and I would love to hear how the original pads/tuning would sound in contrast since these headphones seem to have such space and breadth; I'm guessing that these would be awesome with a brighter tonality.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #4,088 of 7,704
I must be an oddball too. I have no problems with me Neo...great sound, no discomfort.
Beside sound it's really comfort my issue, after 40 mins or so wearing the original ones I have pain to my ears

May 31, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #4,089 of 7,704
I noticed while wearing my Mezes that if I applied pressure to the face-side of the outside of the cups, basically creating an ‘angled pad’ effect in relation to my ears, some of the subbass seemed pleasantly rolled off and brought those sweet, sweet mids into stronger relief.

So, since the pads are very easily disassembled, I decided to try and find a way to have the pads be somewhat angled at all times. Using some duct tape, I think I’ve got a pretty good mod to alleviate some of that subbass intensity and give some life back to the mids. I’m not particularly artsy-craftsy so I’m sure someone will have improvements to make to the mod, or some genius application that’s a hundred times better, but this is what I’ve got. Best part is it seems fairly easily reversible.

Link to it here, let me know if you have any questions; https://imgur.com/a/S8bKgND

Are the Mezes still warm and bassy? Yes. But post-mod there seems to be a slightly less boomy quality to the bass, which gives it more actual bass impact, and also brings more energy to the mids so that drums and guitar are a bit more present. It basically just makes the rest of the soundscape more available to your ears. I think in the near future I may experiment with having it even more angled down, or taping down portions of the pads further up to change the sound even more (if it's preferable).

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #4,090 of 7,704
I noticed while wearing my Mezes that if I applied pressure to the face-side of the outside of the cups, basically creating an ‘angled pad’ effect in relation to my ears, some of the subbass seemed pleasantly rolled off and brought those sweet, sweet mids into stronger relief.

So, since the pads are very easily disassembled, I decided to try and find a way to have the pads be somewhat angled at all times. Using some duct tape, I think I’ve got a pretty good mod to alleviate some of that subbass intensity and give some life back to the mids. I’m not particularly artsy-craftsy so I’m sure someone will have improvements to make to the mod, or some genius application that’s a hundred times better, but this is what I’ve got. Best part is it seems fairly easily reversible.

Link to it here, let me know if you have any questions; https://imgur.com/a/S8bKgND

Are the Mezes still warm and bassy? Yes. But post-mod there seems to be a slightly less boomy quality to the bass, which gives it more actual bass impact, and also brings more energy to the mids so that drums and guitar are a bit more present. It basically just makes the rest of the soundscape more available to your ears. I think in the near future I may experiment with having it even more angled down, or taping down portions of the pads further up to change the sound even more (if it's preferable).
That 's a nice mod and actually you got the same results of the brainwaz sheepskin pads I just quote your words here... (because your english is much better than mine :p) "Are the Mezes still warm and bassy? Yes. But post-mod there seems to be a slightly less boomy quality to the bass, which gives it more actual bass impact, and also brings more energy to the mids so that drums and guitar are a bit more present. It basically just makes the rest of the soundscape more available to your ears" .
Both the ways are ok , I like your creativity and I like my new pads

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #4,091 of 7,704
That 's a nice mod and actually you got the same results of the brainwaz sheepskin pads I just quote your words here... (because your english is much better than mind :p) "Are the Mezes still warm and bassy? Yes. But post-mod there seems to be a slightly less boomy quality to the bass, which gives it more actual bass impact, and also brings more energy to the mids so that drums and guitar are a bit more present. It basically just makes the rest of the soundscape more available to your ears" .
Both the ways are ok , I like your creativity and I like my new pads

That's good! I basically had tried a few different pad substitutions (never the Brainwavs however) and found the results generally lacking, and was tired of ordering pads! Haha

May 31, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #4,092 of 7,704
That's good! I basically had tried a few different pad substitutions (never the Brainwavs however) and found the results generally lacking, and was tired of ordering pads! Haha
i bet.. lot of money... but in general seems that with thicker pads that raise the space between drivers and ears, the sound really improves like you described, and I agree also soundstage is far way better

May 31, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #4,093 of 7,704
I'm currently trying the Focal Elear. To me, sounds similar to the 99 Classics, but with better controlled bass and more detail. People who like the 99 Classics and want to upgrade may want to give the Elear a try.

May 31, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #4,094 of 7,704
I'm currently trying the Focal Elear. To me, sounds similar to the 99 Classics, but with better controlled bass and more detail. People who like the 99 Classics and want to upgrade may want to give the Elear a try.

It is great to know this information, but do not think that it sounds so much better that is worth 600 EUR difference, of course if money is not a problem so this is is another story

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #4,095 of 7,704

I wouldn't agree, but that's me. Elears have a huge dip in the upper midrange that makes the intial cymbal crash sound dull, also the bass is a bit all over the place. I actually find the 99 Classics to be much more coherent and a better allrounder (they could use a touch less mid-bass but apart from that they are excellent).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back