Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
May 27, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #4,051 of 7,703
Yeah I do have open backs for home listening. Was just talking about the soundstage being good for a portable closed back. though I'm reading that the 1more triple driver headphones are outstanding there. But their mids are probably not as good as the Meze.

I like the mids on both but I am not going to try doing an a-b comparison. That just gives me a headache. To enjoy mids means I need to enjoy the music. Something I cannot do if I am conciously trying to compare. If I could only have one it would have to be the 1707 because they are more versatile being a bit more suited to portable as well as home use. Either can be powered from my daps and either works well with my amps if I so choose. I like the looks of both.

Try not to get so hung up on pads when you don't even have the headphones yet. I use the stock pads on almost everything I have. I have tried different pads on a couple of things where it completely ruined the sound. A couple of others where it did improve comfort without ruining the sound.

May 27, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #4,052 of 7,703
I take it that you have the larger pads as well? Any suggestions about pads from your side? I will take as many opinions as I can.

Yeah I do have open backs for home listening. Was just talking about the soundstage being good for a portable closed back. though I'm reading that the 1more triple driver headphones are outstanding there. But their mids are probably not as good as the Meze.

Yes I have the 3rd gen, large pads. In my opinion the so-called negative effect of these pads is overblown. They have a nice bloomy subbass, but the midbass impact and detail retrieval across the whole spectrum is all around great still.

I tried the Dekoni M50x pads as I mentioned, and they were not satisfactory so I returned them. I once put on my stock M40x pads for kicks and they were enjoyable, more so than the Dekonis. They just made the 99s a little more lively, as the 3rd gen pads really just relax their sound a little... A little too much for some people.

In my opinion, the 3rd gen pads are great. They don't ruin the headphones by any means. Awhile ago Meze also told me they were going to put out various pad options for sale, as well, so in the future there may be more customization available. But I haven't heard any news regarding that yet.

May 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,053 of 7,703
The NAD HP50s have very nice soundstage, maybe the best short of something like the Aeon Flow C's. They also just put out the HP70s which are wireless, have ANC. If those were available when I was in the market for a portable set I may have gone with those rather than the Mezes.

May 27, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #4,054 of 7,703
In my opinion the so-called negative effect of these pads is overblown.

In my opinion, the 3rd gen pads are great. They don't ruin the headphones by any means.

I agree and they are comfortable for me. I try to just relax and enjoy the music.

The NAD HP50s have very nice soundstage, maybe the best short of something like the Aeon Flow C's. They also just put out the HP70s which are wireless, have ANC. If those were available when I was in the market for a portable set I may have gone with those rather than the Mezes.

I have the NAD HP50 and have had terrible comfort issues. I also had to open them up and apply tape in a few places to stop the plastic creaking. No such problems with the Meze or the 1More

May 27, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #4,055 of 7,703
I agree and they are comfortable for me. I try to just relax and enjoy the music.

I have the NAD HP50 and have had terrible comfort issues. I also had to open them up and apply tape in a few places to stop the plastic creaking. No such problems with the Meze or the 1More

Yeah those are both the most frequent complaints about them, rightly so. I am fortunate in that my ears/head worked well with the HP50 when I tried them. The HP70 seemed a little more solid for the brief time I spent with them, and they tweaked the angle of the armbands in relation to the pads, but the cup size seems the same so I don't know if their comfort will be improved for people who had issues with the 50's.

May 28, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #4,056 of 7,703
You aren't upset about the import fees? We have given up on Massdrop for that reason.
FYI

I just received my custom charges for the 4XX and I wanted to share this information with the UK residents following our earlier conversation in this thread.

Charges due
Customs Entry £ 8.50
Import Duty £ 0.00
Import VAT £ 24.48
Total £ 32.98

But still I am sceptical for my choice due to the quality issues of hifiman, although the final price is great going back and forth from UK is not ideal if something happens.

The 6XX should have NON zero import duties because is above 150£. However, i am not sure if it should since these are made in Ireland but I do not know what to do about it.

If you think I am off topic and you want more info just pm me. However, as Meze might do some future massdrop (as it is very popular in votings there) offerings maybe this information is helpful for future reference.

May 28, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #4,057 of 7,703
My 99 Classics review is nearly finished, the more time I spend with them the more I enjoy them.

Apart from a tiny bit of mid-bass resonance, they are really easy and fun to listen to :D

May 28, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #4,058 of 7,703
Had ordered a balanced cable off ebay and they arrived. Build quality is excellent and it looks durable.

IMG_20180529_073859.jpg

May 29, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #4,059 of 7,703
Had ordered a balanced cable off ebay and they arrived. Build quality is excellent and it looks durable.

You ordered like a month ago right?

May 29, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #4,060 of 7,703
You ordered like a month ago right?
Yes around that time. I'll be honest, the cable is slightly on the stiff side with microphonics on either side of the y-split. For desktop use where one doesn't move a lot seems to be the ideal scenario for using these, on the move not so much.

May 29, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #4,061 of 7,703
Well with Brainwaz sheepskin the improvement is really nice, bass are still very good but less boomy, now the sound is absolutely fantastic

May 29, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #4,062 of 7,703
Well with Brainwaz sheepskin the improvement is really nice, bass are still very good but less boomy, now the sound is absolutely fantastic
pictures please :)

May 29, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #4,063 of 7,703
LOL, thanks for confirming my impressions that differed from others. The driver further away creates more time for the bass to develop so its less boomy.

May 29, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #4,064 of 7,703
LOL, thanks for confirming my impressions that differed from others. The driver further away creates more time for the bass to develop so its less boomy.

When you say its less boomy.. does it lose any quality or quantity? I mean I consider myself a basshead but of course I'm looking for that crystal clear detail and good mid freq response. Would these pads still satisfy my needs?

May 29, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #4,065 of 7,703
When you say its less boomy.. does it lose any quality or quantity? I mean I consider myself a basshead but of course I'm looking for that crystal clear detail and good mid freq response. Would these pads still satisfy my needs?
No quality of quantity lost, instead IMO, it improves the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back