Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #3,317 of 7,704
So this Ebay cable is actually really nice. Plugs are a bit shorter but they're fine. QC might not be great, one of them is just a bit off instead of straight, but all in all good stuff considering the price. Feeling kinda sorry for having to cut it up (I intend to shorten it so it attaches to a Fiio BTR1 mounted on top of the Meze) :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #3,318 of 7,704
Brainwavs angled hybrid pads arrived today..

They're quite a lot larger, even than the larger 99C pads..

I'd geared myself up for a fiddly fitting, and rested the phones in one of the existing pads... ...But tbh it was an absolute doddle, probably didn't take even a minute for either side.

They look alarmingly big..

But comfort wise, feel really good to wear! Glad I went for the velour / leather hybrid - I would say comfort is improved (for me at least, I have large ears and there's some 'wiggle room' with these which there wasn't with the standard pads (I have both sizes)
Currently am half way through 'The Wall' - Sonically, I'm not picking up on any fundamental change at all, which is very pleasing. No negative impact on the Meze sound I love. Isolation seems every bit as good, which isn't a surprise.

First impressions are excellent therefore - these may prove to have been a good move indeed!

Ben

Well - I'm going back on pretty much everything I said in the original post.

I've stuck with them for a while, because they DO address one small issue I have, which is getting hot ears when wearing the standard (larger) pads for extended periods. Comfort is good with these.

However.. My original comment on isolation, nope, that was wrong. a number of complaints from colleagues over the sound leakage (which was the original prompt to ditch my Sennheiser 650s) led me to test for myself, with the phones on the headstand - no question, almost no leakage from the standard pads but a significant amount from the Brainwavz by comparison. Isolation for the wearer is fine, but much less so for those around them.

Putting the original pads back on also confirmed what a few others have said about the effect on the bass from the Brainwavz - I wasn't unhappy with it til I put the originals back but there's no question they are better, tighter and frankly the Brainwavz won't be going back on.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,319 of 7,704
Hello Meze fans!

Long time no hear! As you probably know, we're been hard at work lately but all with fruitful results! During the course of the weekend, we'll release some news regarding what we've been working on.

The first announcement is about the Meze Audio balanced cables for the Meze 99 Classics and Meze 99 Neo. You've surely seen it coming and saw them on our website. Here are some photos of them.

The cables can only be purchased directly from Meze Audio for now and they are in low supply. Our question is, would you be interested in testing them out in a tour? Just let us know!

I'm a bit behind on here, although I've seen this already in the Meze store I had'nt seen this post until catching up but it would be great to do a tour for these as you already know from way back I needed a shorter length cable and went the route of a fellow 99C owner who already had one done with Kimber cable by Russ Andrews here in the UK and is a very good cable for the price but only drawback it does suffer from is microphonics and been a bit stiff for a relatively narrow gauge cable but would be interesting to hear the Meze premium cables to see how they all compare but my main question was for you guys now that you are doing some more premium cables for the Classics and the new balanced connection that is here now and will only become I think the prodominant balanced connection for portable devices in next couple of years for most companies are you thinking of doing a 4.4 balanced version of these premium cables soon?

I say this as i got both 3.5 TRS and a 4.4TRRS done in that kimber cable for my Sony W1MA Walkman and the balanced connection sound wise is on another level to the single ended and would love to try one of these in a 4.4 balanced:wink:

I was going to send this as a PM but thought if psoted in publicly might stir up others who want 4.4Bal for their Meze and put some pressure on you guys to say okay, lets keep them quite and do some!?...:fingers_crossed::headphones::relaxed:

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #3,320 of 7,704
Coming back with the second set of news, this time for a new product, something that we've been asked if we could do and we took up the challenge.

So, without further ado, here you have them, an upcoming line of Meze Audio IEMs. Official name, specs, and price point will be released in due time. Which is your favorite?

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

Well done Meze team, Knew you was going to do some IEM's like this with detachable cable. So we are looking at four different model variants here? Or just one model with different finishes?

They look typical elegant eye for detail and sensible shape and size in design that is becoming a normal hallmark for you guys.
Quesiton is are these going to be BA's, dynamics or hybrids!??

Looks like you've opted for MMCX instead of 2 pin connectors, any preference there on the choice as they both have their downfalls and upsides.

Look forward to further info on these as you posted this back in August, does this mean your giving people a little early Christmas present annoucning the update before the year is out?

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #3,321 of 7,704
Meze must open the official thread when they feel it is time, but they are working on some awesome new stuff for us!

I've seen a IEM, a Planar headphone, and a very unique something today :darthsmile:

No photos since they asked us to not take photos at this moment since they are still at the phase of prototype:smile_phones:

If I understood correctly, there might be a Meze 99 open back sometime in the future, with somewhat larger cups!

The IEM looks especially sweet in person, especially the glossy version.

You can find a few photos of their new concrete Meze 99 Concrete on Instagram, so I guess this is okay to share. I had the chance of touching them and they are actually made out of concrete! Really solid stuff. Seemingly, it is not much heavier, but it has really nice acoustic properties!

22338807_10159321303655004_5917174039988632820_o.jpg

All of this sounds really cool. I'm glad to see Meze moving forward with wifey sound like some really exciting new products. I'm eager for some announcements!

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #3,322 of 7,704
Well done Meze team, Knew you was going to do some IEM's like this with detachable cable. So we are looking at four different model variants here? Or just one model with different finishes?

They look typical elegant eye for detail and sensible shape and size in design that is becoming a normal hallmark for you guys.
Quesiton is are these going to be BA's, dynamics or hybrids!??

Looks like you've opted for MMCX instead of 2 pin connectors, any preference there on the choice as they both have their downfalls and upsides.

Look forward to further info on these as you posted this back in August, does this mean your giving people a little early Christmas present annoucning the update before the year is out?

Yeah............ I don't buy IEMs, but if I ever did again, I'd make sure they were detachable. The cable breaking or going bad is the main issue I always had with non-detachable IEMs in the past. So Meze, VERY wise move in going this route!! And they look really classy too, though I wouldn't expect anything less from Meze!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #3,323 of 7,704
All of this sounds really cool. I'm glad to see Meze moving forward with wifey sound like some really exciting new products. I'm eager for some announcements!

You wouldn't believe how eager I am to see them make those Empyrean headphones! It should be quite soon that they will announce more as they should have received the technology to speed up the development! :darthsmile:

Don't forget, they are making real concrete headphones!

That is concrete. I touched it back then. CONCRETE

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3,324 of 7,704
You wouldn't believe how eager I am to see them make those Empyrean headphones! It should be quite soon that they will announce more as they should have received the technology to speed up the development! :darthsmile:

Don't forget, they are making real concrete headphones!

That is concrete. I touched it back then. CONCRETE

I've currently got the Neo tour pair for review and comparing it to my 99C's and picking out the differences between the two which has been interesting and further more would be interesting to hear how the concrete ones differ in sound once more to the Neo and 99C's....
I imagine somwhow the concrete would be the ultimate in deadning the sound with no ringing or resonance giving a more shorter trailing edge on notes giving a drier signature than the current classic sig yet still retain the Meze house sound in general, just my imagination on how concrete possibly might sound.

Wonder if Meze will do a concrete headstand for these to sit on!?
Is there any "concrete" news on these! :joy::joy:

Time for my bed I think....

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #3,325 of 7,704
I've currently got the Neo tour pair for review and comparing it to my 99C's and picking out the differences between the two which has been interesting and further more would be interesting to hear how the concrete ones differ in sound once more to the Neo and 99C's....
I imagine somwhow the concrete would be the ultimate in deadning the sound with no ringing or resonance giving a more shorter trailing edge on notes giving a drier signature than the current classic sig yet still retain the Meze house sound in general, just my imagination on how concrete possibly might sound.

Wonder if Meze will do a concrete headstand for these to sit on!?
Is there any "concrete" news on these! :joy::joy:

Time for my bed I think....

@MezeTeam , how is the progress on these new headphones? :darthsmile:

Seems people want to know more!

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,326 of 7,704
I saw earlier that someone was asking if the Maple's were still available. I have a pristine pair that I bought last year for my girlfriend. she doesn't like them and I don't need them as I have the Walnut/Silver combo. they are in perfect condition so if anyone is interested, PM me and we can talk $$$.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #3,329 of 7,704
Does anyone think there’ll be a tour for the concretes?

A heavy tour :)

That'd be interesting!

Imagine having to explain at customs process how your headphones are made of concrete :darthsmile:

The material is quite good for headphones actually, it is just that it is a bit unusual :smile_phones:

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #3,330 of 7,704
Does anyone think there’ll be a tour for the concretes?

Are the concretes an official build of the 99 Classics or something Meze was dabbling around with? Regardless, a tour would be awesome!

:metal::sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back