METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
May 31, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #691 of 943
Thank you in advance, Deezel177! I love the Gae Bolg design, esp the colour combo. Unfortunately I don’t think the sound signature is quite what I’m looking for. If Thummim had the Gae Bolg look, that would be my IEM design dream haha

May 31, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #692 of 943
Sure does...
But are these actual pictures or computer generated I wonder... Esp. the bottom picture of the split looks artificial. But anyway, I'm sure it would look awesome in reality!
They're real. Here are more shots from @ryanjsoo: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPhvs9GMgT4/

Damn Daniel!! Just spill it out! 😁
Well, fine. :D Right now, what I can say is that they're a very light, yet wet-sounding pair of IEMs. I'd compare them to a meadow at dawn; radiantly, yet softly lit - no sharp shadows or blown-out highlights - and kissed by the lightest mists of dew, which gives everything this soft, feathered glow. Instruments have a come-and-go that doesn't necessarily translate to the snappiest PRaT you'll ever hear, but it does make them sound incredibly natural. They're compensated by a black backdrop and a well-tidied image as well. They feel tailor-made for jazz or the emotional (rather than the studious) side of classical; unideal, perhaps, for genres that require sheer transient attack or contrast. They definitely have enough down low to deliver that oomph on R&B or hip-hop, but that resonant glow of the midrange is unshakeable. But, again, put on some Renee Olstead or some Anita Baker, and you're really, really set. I'll break it down further tonally and technically when I have the time. Until then, I'll be listening. Stay tuned. :wink:

May 31, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #693 of 943
They're real. Here are more shots from @ryanjsoo: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPhvs9GMgT4/

Well, fine. :D Right now, what I can say is that they're a very light, yet wet-sounding pair of IEMs. I'd compare them to a meadow at dawn; radiantly, yet softly lit - no sharp shadows or blown-out highlights - and kissed by the lightest mists of dew, which gives everything this soft, feathered glow. Instruments have a come-and-go that doesn't necessarily translate to the snappiest PRaT you'll ever hear, but it does make them sound incredibly natural. They're compensated by a black backdrop and a well-tidied image as well. They feel tailor-made for jazz or the emotional (rather than the studious) side of classical; unideal, perhaps, for genres that require sheer transient attack or contrast. They definitely have enough down low to deliver that oomph on R&B or hip-hop, but that resonant glow of the midrange is unshakeable. But, again, put on some Renee Olstead or some Anita Baker, and you're really, really set. I'll break it down further tonally and technically when I have the time. Until then, I'll be listening. Stay tuned. :wink:

Something like a brighter VE8?

May 31, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #696 of 943

Mmm. I was hoping for something as bad a** as it looks. How can an IEM inspired by a steel sword not be ideal for metal? It's like a sheep in wolf's clothing... :) Oh well, without a DD that wasn't to be anyway...

May 31, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #697 of 943
Sounds like my cup of tea 😁

May 31, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #698 of 943
So... Balmung is out of the bag and Joe's given me the ok to post impressions. Had the uni for about a few days for pre-release photographing, of course, couldn't resist a listen too :)

I'm also very flattered some think the photos are renders! I've still got a long way to go and think that MMR designs really speak for themselves. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I don't have much more to share here other than that showcased on MMR's own platforms. I will share one of my favourites from the shoot below, the faceplates are simply gorgeous:

DSC01221.jpg

Full post is here, not nearly as articulate as Dan's descriptions, but I'm hearing similar things. This is a very well-balanced sound with a powerful, warm and full-bodied voicing. While it is characterised by its exemplary coherence, imaging acuity and reinforced note structure, the Balmung simultaneously pumps out hugely impressive note texture alongside strong vocal definition and extension. It also has a sharp, snappy transient response, highly accurate localisation and excellent layering flattering both the note and the room and space surrounding.

Frequency Response measured to simulate deep-fit:

MMR Balmung.png

The beauty of the Balmung is that it's a pretty versatile recommendation. If you like an even, linear and balanced sound, the Balmung takes such a presentation and moves the dial one step further to the warm and engaging side; but it also doesn’t stray too far into it to alienate listeners who prefer such a balanced sound. Conversely, if you like an engaging sound, the Balmung will surely impress with its gutsy bass and immersive staging. Who this isn’t for is those wanting a perfect reference or revealing/bright signature as its presentation is so clearly on the coherent and structured side. Happy listening folks!

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #699 of 943
So... Balmung is out of the bag and Joe's given me the ok to post impressions. Had the uni for about a few days for pre-release photographing, of course, couldn't resist a listen too :)

I'm also very flattered some think the photos are renders! I've still got a long way to go and think that MMR designs really speak for themselves. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I don't have much more to share here other than that showcased on MMR's own platforms. I will share one of my favourites from the shoot below, the faceplates are simply gorgeous:

DSC01221.jpg

Full post is here, not nearly as articulate as Dan's descriptions, but I'm hearing similar things. This is a very well-balanced sound with a powerful, warm and full-bodied voicing. While it is characterised by its exemplary coherence, imaging acuity and reinforced note structure, the Balmung simultaneously pumps out hugely impressive note texture alongside strong vocal definition and extension. It also has a sharp, snappy transient response, highly accurate localisation and excellent layering flattering both the note and the room and space surrounding.

Frequency Response measured to simulate deep-fit:

MMR Balmung.png

The beauty of the Balmung is that it's a pretty versatile recommendation. If you like an even, linear and balanced sound, the Balmung takes such a presentation and moves the dial one step further to the warm and engaging side; but it also doesn’t stray too far into it to alienate listeners who prefer such a balanced sound. Conversely, if you like an engaging sound, the Balmung will surely impress with its gutsy bass and immersive staging. Who this isn’t for is those wanting a perfect reference or revealing/bright signature as its presentation is so clearly on the coherent and structured side. Happy listening folks!
MMR is just next level eye-candy. My Balmung should be shipping over the next few days so I hope to have it by early next week, been hearing lovely things about it!

May 31, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #700 of 943
MMR is just next level eye-candy. My Balmung should be shipping over the next few days so I hope to have it by early next week, been hearing lovely things about it!
Enjoy my friend, excited to hear your thoughts too, I'm sure you'll love it!

May 31, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #701 of 943
Enjoy my friend, excited to hear your thoughts too, I'm sure you'll love it!
I was going to get it this week but Eletech have been having some troubles with DHL's pick up service -_-

Aeneid and Balmung in the same package, take photos of one while listening to the other and swap :D

One thing though, AFAIK the stock cable on the Balmung is a proprietary MMR one, but I think their website mentions Eletech

Does anyone have any information on that?

May 31, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #702 of 943
MusicTeck Stay updated on MusicTeck at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicTeckStore https://www.musicteck.com/ info@musicteck.com
May 31, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #703 of 943
I was going to get it this week but Eletech have been having some troubles with DHL's pick up service -_-

Aeneid and Balmung in the same package, take photos of one while listening to the other and swap :D

One thing though, AFAIK the stock cable on the Balmung is a proprietary MMR one, but I think their website mentions Eletech

Does anyone have any information on that?
From universal page (https://metalmagic.co/pages/universal):
Exclusively selected 26 AWG UP-OCC Silver Plated Copper wire, hand-braided cable

May 31, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #704 of 943
Mmm. I was hoping for something as bad a** as it looks. How can an IEM inspired by a steel sword not be ideal for metal? It's like a sheep in wolf's clothing... :) Oh well, without a DD that wasn't to be anyway...
As Ryan said, it’s definitely got a gentler, more organic sound to it with radiant, glowing instruments. I really agree with his sentiments that, for its lightly-warm, organic sound, it does have a nimbleness to it. I must correct my earlier statement about PRaT. It’s not that the Balmung isn’t snappy, because it wouldn’t have as stable a backdrop or as tidy an image otherwise. It just doesn’t constrict or tighten its notes as much, so you have a larger note-to-space ratio. That light spread (or, as I’ve alluded to many times at this point, the glow) of its individual notes is what makes it less ideal for percussion or genres like metal, which rely on tight, precise hits, and more suited for jazz and vocals, which like a bit of resonance and spread.

That said, something else I’d like to highlight with the Balmung is its openness and air. It doesn’t emphasise the upper-treble per se, but it does breathe a lot more than what the warm or organic nomenclature may imply.

May 31, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #705 of 943

A jazz tailored TOTL IEM you say?????? Hmmm the Balmung may have just been put on my radar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back