METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jan 16, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #437 of 943
Jan 18, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #442 of 943
I believe that is the inspiration behind the name of the Gae Bolg, Gae Bolg is that spear.
I did not realize it was named after that spear. Tks.
I found the below on Wikipedia:

The Gáe Bulg (pronounced [ɡaːɛ bˠʊɫg]) (also Gáe Bulga, Gáe Bolg, Gáe Bolga), meaning "spear of mortal pain/death", "gapped/notched spear", or "belly spear", was the name of the spear of Cúchulainn in the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology. It was given to him by his martial arts teacher, the warrior woman Scáthach, and its technique was taught only to him.

It was made from the bone of a sea monster, the Coinchenn, that had died while fighting another sea monster, the Curruid.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #443 of 943
Belly spear. Ouch!!!!!!

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #444 of 943
Excited new Thummim owner joining the convo :)

Can’t quite work out what to make of them so far! A couple of late night eyes closed fully focussed listening sessions have totally blown my mind. Like tracks I’ve heard 1000 times have been remixed. Not just making what I’m used to sound even better... almost like changing the fundamentals of the track with the way the layers are presented. Weird. But good weird.

The bass is just delicious! And normally I prefer I tight & fast (RAAL SR1a was my favourite bass so far)

But with less focussed / working / walking out and about - they don’t seem to impress the same. I mean that’s normal for any headphone - but it’s like the magic in these is hidden quite deep, unlike some which are really attacking and forward and you can’t hide from the impact.

Haven’t tried the silver cable yet - waiting an adapter. Hoping that’s going to add an extra level of “ooooh” :)

Using a Hugo 2 - any other suggestions?

Not the most comfortable with a deeper insertion, but with a double flange Spinfit it seems they sit far enough out to not annoy my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #445 of 943
Excited new Thummim owner joining the convo :)

Can’t quite work out what to make of them so far! A couple of late night eyes closed fully focussed listening sessions have totally blown my mind. Like tracks I’ve heard 1000 times have been remixed. Not just making what I’m used to sound even better... almost like changing the fundamentals of the track with the way the layers are presented. Weird. But good weird.

The bass is just delicious! And normally I prefer I tight & fast (RAAL SR1a was my favourite bass so far)

But with less focussed / working / walking out and about - they don’t seem to impress the same. I mean that’s normal for any headphone - but it’s like the magic in these is hidden quite deep, unlike some which are really attacking and forward and you can’t hide from the impact.

Haven’t tried the silver cable yet - waiting an adapter. Hoping that’s going to add an extra level of “ooooh” :)

Using a Hugo 2 - any other suggestions?

Not the most comfortable with a deeper insertion, but with a double flange Spinfit it seems they sit far enough out to not annoy my ears.
The Hugo 2 balances out the Thummim's signature extremely well, tightens the bass and gives the midrange a little more presence and clarity. I personally like the P6 Pro by Luxury and Precision best with the Thummim though, as it retains the warmth and texture and alters the signature as a whole a little less. The Thummim generally works best with sources that have a small to medium treble lift imo :)

Congrats on the purchase though!! Did you get a used one?

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #446 of 943
Hi :)
Yeah I have a Woo WA8 on repair - I’m quite intrigued to know how that will pair!
Makes sense with the treble lift to make things more present.
Yeah actually traded them - no way I can afford to play in this game buying new I change my mind like the wind!
I feel I am one step closer though. 99.9% sure now that it’s an IEM I’m after...... :)
What can I expect when I use the silver cable? Very subtle impact right? (Using a £100 Forza copper cable)

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #447 of 943
Hi :)
Yeah I have a Woo WA8 on repair - I’m quite intrigued to know how that will pair!
Makes sense with the treble lift to make things more present.
Yeah actually traded them - no way I can afford to play in this game buying new I change my mind like the wind!
I feel I am one step closer though. 99.9% sure now that it’s an IEM I’m after...... :)
What can I expect when I use the silver cable? Very subtle impact right? (Using a £100 Forza copper cable)
You mean the Plato? I haven’t tried the Forza copper but the Plato tightens the bass and increases the separation on the thummim, a little like the effect the Hugo has on it

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #448 of 943
Hi yes have the Plato sat there patiently as I don’t have an adapter.
Mind you having read an earlier post about wide bore tips - I have just swapped spinfits for spiral dots and definitely improves things for me, adding some sparkle and attack.
Once again having my mind blown for 30 mins before the kids bedtime drama!!
Can’t wait to try the Plato if it’s going to improve things further.

Only gripe so far is comfort after an hour or so - must find about the custom tips dr juggles mentioned......

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #449 of 943
Hi yes have the Plato sat there patiently as I don’t have an adapter.
Mind you having read an earlier post about wide bore tips - I have just swapped spinfits for spiral dots and definitely improves things for me, adding some sparkle and attack.
Once again having my mind blown for 30 mins before the kids bedtime drama!!
Can’t wait to try the Plato if it’s going to improve things further.

Only gripe so far is comfort after an hour or so - must find about the custom tips dr juggles mentioned......
Symbio foamier and the sticky xelastecs work quite well for me - medium/large for a shallower and more comfortable insertion

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #450 of 943
Another excited new Thummim owner joining :ksc75smile:

The wide opened bore on the top of the nozzle seems kind of weird though, I couldn't figure out why it doesn't come with a mesh or grill filter. Really worried about earwax falling in:sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back