Meier Audio Corda Soul - TOTL DAC/AMP/DSP
Nov 29, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #47 of 358
What if somebody else who is not a MOT posted “I think it will have an analog input and option #4”, would it be censored?

Just don't mention

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #48 of 358
"Where did the post go? Why did it go?"

???

Most probably my post was deleted because it was "too commercial".

Sorry for that,

Jan

Say what now??

Too commercial, on Head-Fi of all places? The irony...

Just don't mention

Don't mention what/why/where?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #49 of 358
What a pity there will be no analogue inputs-:frowning2: I have long been a fan of Jan's products, and I am saving up for a high end amp for my Sennheiser HD 800s, however, I have a large collection of classical sacds which I play on my Oppo 105, and unless I'm mistaken, I wouldn't be able to play them through this?

Or you can use an HDMI Audio De-Embedder (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909140-REG/kanexpro_haecoax_audio_de_embedder_with_3d.html)
http://welcomerandom.blogspot.com/2015/04/audiophile-reviewhdmi-de-embedder.html

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #50 of 358
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about such devices. I presume though, that DSD is converted to PCM? I have a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 digital amplifier driving my speakers that can accept direct DSD via HDMI from my Oppo(where you also can choose either direct DSD or or PCM. Not sure I can hear the difference though:)

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #51 of 358
I received the second Newsletter from Jan today. Glad to know that the enclosure of SOUL will be a small one (29.5cm x 8.4cm), and with analogue inputs!
It is also interesting to learn that the SOUL project is going to be like a kickstarter project. Potential buyers are expected to make a subscription and a down payment when SOUL is about to produce.
Wow I think I will buy one! :)

Dec 7, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #52 of 358
I received the second Newsletter from Jan today. Glad to know that the enclosure of SOUL will be a small one (29.5cm x 8.4cm), and with analogue inputs!
It is also interesting to learn that the SOUL project is going to be like a kickstarter project. Potential buyers are expected to make a subscription and a down payment when SOUL is about to produce.
Wow I think I will buy one! :)

A kickstart would be nice.

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #55 of 358
Yesterday after the audiovista community meeting in Krefeld I had the chance to give the Soul in its latest iteration form a 2 hour private listening. I mainly used my own Sennheiser HD 800 with French Helmholtz mod. Jan Meier's notch filter and tone control make the HD 800 an even better companion.
Inbetween I used the Focal Clear, but as the Focal was not on the same level as the HD 800, I went back listening to the HD 800 in balanced mode. Because balanced is the only way the Soul will allow you to listen to it.

Corda Soul.jpg

Unbelievable but the Soul has done another step and now is totally in another league of headphone amps. The pure precision of instruments and vocalists is unheard of. When I listened to the Bach Goldberg Variations, transcribed for String Trio, with Julian Rachlin, Nobuko Imai & Mischa Maisky from 2006, there was not only a precision no DAC/headphone amp (including the house intern competitor Corda Daccord ff and the Corda Classic ff) was able to produce but the instruments were palpable. And the placement of the violinsts was not only left and right but also to my surprise it became clear that the instruments are not on the same plane.

The contrast of the whole session with Jan Meier in my home, was even more drastic as I had heard many different headphones and headphone amps over the afternoon at the headphone meet. None of them really did evoke in me the feeling to fear of my wallet.

Sure the Audeze LCDi4 are still wonderful if properly equalized. But why the German distributor did not use @KMann 's equalizing curve or at least a balanced mode is beyond me. I fortunately had my trusted Sony NW-ZX2 with me and the iSine20 equalization on the Onkyo HF was still better than nothing.

If you are interested to the final step for audio heaven the Soul is a must have.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #56 of 358
Did not think I would miss the sound so much. It is really hard to go back to "normal" non Soul sound.
I hope Jan will finalize this project soon and we all can get this magic machine.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #59 of 358
Meier Audio Corda Soul looks very interesting.
I hope I can hear them in next time on a head-fi meeting in Vienna.

Till then, wich of Jan's headphone amps (but without DAC) comes them close?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #60 of 358
Can’t believe what an unheard clarity, precision and positioning I am getting out of the Soul.
This is an endgame DAC/headphone amplifier. What a pleasure.

Jan Meier tends to be very conservative in his designs, evidently working on the basis of 'if it works, don't fix it'. So I have to assume that the insides of this Soul box must contain essentially a DACCORD/classic combo with some modifications. You report however a significant improvement over the latter. Could this be mainly the result of the Soul's balanced output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back