1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meier Audio Corda Soul - TOTL DAC/AMP/DSP

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by Toad_of_Toad_Hall, Oct 29, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8
Next

Last
  1. wuwhere Contributor
    Will there be a DAC only Soul?

2. Richter Di
    The Jan Meier I know is a stong inventor:

Crossfeed (his design is often copied from companies), active balanced ground driving, ff-technology ... and these are only the ones I know of.
    So, I had a balanced amp for my Sennheiser HD800, the CEC HD-53N, where I could change between balanced and unbalanced, and I have heard others like the Bryston BHA-1 in both modes. In no way is the Soul “only” a Daccord/classic combo in it’s current state.
    And believe me I own the Daccord ff and Classic ff and I heard an inbetween prototype for a week where Jan Meier did connect the DAC-chip output directly with the Classic. This Soul is on another level.
    BTW, I am listening to it since a few days again.

3. buchignani
    I don't disagree, but I didn't quite mean what I think you imply. For example, I still have here Jan's very first full sized amp (heavily modified now) and it featured crossfeed technology. The active balanced ground and use of the same DAC chips as proposed here go back some ways in time. To me, conservative design evolution is a good thing!

From what I decipher, then, there must then be quite significant changes in the post-DAC chip audio section between the Classic and the Soul. It would be interesting if Jan M. might someday expound on these analogue audio section changes. It would be particularly interesting to folk like me who currently have the DACCORD/Classic combo.

4. Richter Di
    Hi, I do not imply. I only reacted to:

I think someone inventing active balanced ground and “ff” shouldn’t be called “conservative in his designs”.
    For me he is the opposite and a true innovator when it comes to designs.
    As an example of someting different in the Soul is that he used the ff-technologoy in the DSP area.

5. FritzS
    Could anyone say whats the difference between an Meier amp without/with 'ff' or without/with 'active balanced ground' in hearing?
    Hearable or not?
    I take this questions about 'Jazz' or 'Classic'.

6. Richter Di
    I answered this in the German Hifi-Forum too:
    About the ff
    At the time Jan Meier developed the ff he had just built the prototype for the Daccord and Classic ff, it was possible to hear double-blind ff versus "without ff" via switch. ff was clearly audible, so that I could say afterwards without any doubt which switch position was different.

Jan hadn't told me anything about what kind of change he had done and I wasn‘t sure if it wasn‘t a trick to show me how easily someone is fooled just by a switch doing nothing. So I didn't know if it was just a test of my hearing and there was perhaps no difference at all between the two switch positions.

The ff-increased quite astonishingly the transperency, like Soul now does even on another level. This transparency leads to a new understanding of my favorite tracks like the beginning of the Youngblood Brass Band CD „Center Level Roar“ where a voice now comes out of a clear spot and the beginning of David Munyon‘s „Four wild horses“ the light fog above the digeridoo is lifted.

Regarding active ground just one note, the cable to the headphones plays a much smaller role. I've tried it before. You therefore need to invest less in cables.

7. FritzS
    Now I got an test sample from Jan Meier of his Classic -ff and hear music with my K812.
    Some says K812 was sharpen, at some of my CDs I could hear this with my HA WNA MKII, but with Corda -ff this passage sounds silken not sharpen.

The first test reports current only in german language. Later I want to translate some of them - to this threads:
    http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showthread.php?t=13504
    http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=110&thread=17816

If anyone have an Classic -ff and an K812 too, please compare this.
    I need them to comprehend if I am right!

Jan could not spend me a test sample of Soul - he have only few samples (maybe later).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  8. Richter Di
    He has only two prototypes!

9. laurentplop
    I'd be interested in a DAC only, or even better a DSP only Soul. Still a very interesting project overall - saying this as an happy owner of multiple Corda DACs.

Actually, if the Soul comes as a combo but you can only use the DAC, or the DSP, or the AMP, separately if you want to, I'd be even more interested.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. Richter Di
    Soul FR 2 highresol.jpg

Hi,

Jan Meier has an email list to which send updates regarding the Soul project. The last ones were interesting as you can see the final front plate design and also the prices.
    The emails are in German and I tried to translate it as good as I could and have put below the original German version too.

German original

nick n likes this.
  11. Jan Meier Contributor
    Dear friends,

as other people have mentioned the SOUL project now is close before production. Obviously, being a member-of-the-trade, I can't give you to many details but should you have questions, don't hesitate to send me a mail or take a look at my website.

Cheers

Jan

12. Tomfol
    Actually the SOUL prototypes can be tested by everybody at home for one week and I had the chance to do this two weeks ago.
    After this week I'm very enthusiastic, I tested with an HD 800S an compared to a Beyerdynamic A2 and also tested with my Sequel II, ML No.27 and ML No.28.
    The SOUL clearly outperformed my No.28 (!) when connected as a preamp which was a big surprise for me.
    All the DSP functions work fine and for me quite decently, they can be used separately because the SOUL has a digital output. In this way it is possible to use the DSP and to use a separate DAC and to go back into the analog inputs of the SOUL.
    A lot of possibilities!
    I enjoyed the possibility of a longer individual testing very much, perhaps some of you are interested in doing the same. It's free, just write an email to Jan.

Richter Di likes this.
  13. Richter Di
  14. Richter Di
    Today Jan Meier send his 16th Soul letter because thr front plates have arrived. So here are some sneak peaks. What a beauty!

BBF15520-931A-4719-A3BF-B14477AAE533.jpeg DFDA7D1A-EC17-4611-AFC7-F4F0C7DCC08C.jpeg 70F6C2A9-8411-4721-8FF6-DD5BCBA61D0C.jpeg 20E0BD91-7127-4E74-971B-2921F71CE737.jpeg
    Also read the German manual. Great work from two volunteers: Andreas and Martin
    Perfect description of my favorite ff-technology. I now own three of Jan Meier‘s DAC ans 2 have the ff-technology. This makes such a big difference in clarity and detail.

Raketen likes this.
  15. jokostyle
    Hi, @Richter Di, where can we read this letter ? Thanks in advance.

First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8
Next

Last