Meier Audio Corda Soul - TOTL DAC/AMP/DSP
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #31 of 358
What a pity there will be no analogue inputs-:frowning2: I have long been a fan of Jan's products, and I am saving up for a high end amp for my Sennheiser HD 800s, however, I have a large collection of classical sacds which I play on my Oppo 105, and unless I'm mistaken, I wouldn't be able to play them through this?

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #33 of 358
I agree on liking the first option. You can make it the size for a studio rack and sell it to the pro audio world as well. With the rack tabs as an optional faceplate

1 and then 3

I also think that an AES IN is an absolute must

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #34 of 358
What a pity there will be no analogue inputs-:frowning2: I have long been a fan of Jan's products, and I am saving up for a high end amp for my Sennheiser HD 800s, however, I have a large collection of classical sacds which I play on my Oppo 105, and unless I'm mistaken, I wouldn't be able to play them through this?

I have an Oppo 95 and I bought a DAC with an analog input specifically for playing SACD on my 95. This doesn't have an HDMI input for SACD.

Nov 21, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #37 of 358
Sorry to swim against the current but I like the dig only in

No need to apologise. Your comment shows that you recognise a current exists.

You have the opportunity now to elaborate on your comment. Why do you like the design with digital input only?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #38 of 358
No need to apologise. Your comment shows that you recognise a current exists.

You have the opportunity now to elaborate on your comment. Why do you like the design with digital input only?
Well the strength is in the dsp capabilities which function in the digital domain . In terms of amplifiers I don't see any particular advantage ,particularly as the output stage is op amp based . Excellent and transparent I am sure but nothing special .

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #39 of 358
Well the strength is in the dsp capabilities which function in the digital domain . In terms of amplifiers I don't see any particular advantage ,particularly as the output stage is op amp based . Excellent and transparent I am sure but nothing special .

I see your point, or rather your assumptions.

The potential ability to use the product as an amp alone would not prevent you from using the DSP/DAC functionality at other times. Adding the analogue input would make the product more versatile and future proof. What if you buy a new DAC but don't want to buy a new amp? What if you own an analogue source and don't want to buy another amp for the purpose? Although reel-to-reel connoisseurs are thin on the ground, there are plenty of record loving headphone geeks around the place.

I don't know how much extra it would cost to add analogue inputs, but it's certainly possible as proven by the prototype. If I had the money to buy the Soul I'd be happy to pay an extra hundred Euro or so for the added convenience and flexibility. There seems to be a not insignificant number of others, here and elsewhere, who have made comments along similar lines.

Jan has stated his reasons for not including analogue inputs, but I can't say I understand them. I hope his decision is beneficial to the longevity of the Soul as part of his line up: I damn well want it to still be around when I can actually afford to buy it!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #40 of 358
To me this is a most interesting project. I currently have a Daccord/Classic combo set up in a location where I use a variety of headphones and where the digital source is an NAS. The headphones I use vary wildly in sonic signature, as do the things I listen to. In contrast to my Windows setup in another location, I can't seem to find a music server for my NAS that will allow the insertion of DSP software there. Even if I did, my NAS is nowhere nearby and changing the DSP settings to suit each new listening situation would be a real pain.

And so I have looked everywhere for something like a standalone DSP box to place before the Daccord that would act as either a digitally based equalizer or as basic tone controls. As far as I can see, no such beast exists. It would be grand if Jan could make one. There are lot of folk wanting DSP-based tonal control over their NAS sources--including just about everyone using devices like Chromecast Audio.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #41 of 358
And so I have looked everywhere for something like a standalone DSP box to place before the Daccord that would act as either a digitally based equalizer or as basic tone controls. As far as I can see, no such beast exists. It would be grand if Jan could make one. There are lot of folk wanting DSP-based tonal control over their NAS sources--including just about everyone using devices like Chomecast Audio.

Probably not quite what you are looking for since it is analog but Schiit recently produced a 4-band eq/tone control thing called Loki.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #42 of 358
Probably not quite what you are looking for since it is analog but Schiit recently produced a 4-band eq/tone control thing called Loki.
I have been trying to avoid going the route of an analog equalizer but certainly will take a good look at this, I suspect inserting an equalizer would significantly raise the noise floor...

Addendum: the Loki's advertised crosstalk is - 80dB, which is not exactly great. Noise is - 108dB, while that of the Corda Classic is well below - 120dB. But these may not matter practically. I will wait for a few more reviews.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #44 of 358
@Jan Meier

A few days ago you made an interesting post stating that analogue inputs would be included in the Soul and stated the enclosure size would be no. 4 of the options provided.

You also mentioned the possibility of a future DSP only product.

Where did the post go? Why did it go?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back