Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #271 of 396
My HD600 are very good to great for everything i listen to. Having genre specific headphones world appesr strange to normal people and a little obsessive

Choose once and choose well, enjoy your music knowing everything is within 90% of as good as it can sound.
Ie more than good enough

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #273 of 396
Even the Sony Z1r has to play all of my collection and does it well. The HD660S is the open alternative, since I want to be aware of my surroundings acoustically most of the time.
Of course there are some headphones that do everything right, I even intend to use only one, but there are some people like @Rob80b who are still in search of the perfect headphone, and for someone like him it would be nice to have more than one.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #274 of 396
Of course there are some headphones that do everything right, I even intend to use only one, but there are some people like @Rob80b who are still in search of the perfect headphone, and for someone like him it would be nice to have more than one.
He is on a quest for the holy grail of headphones, that's all.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #275 of 396

There may have been a slight misunderstanding....lol...although my ideal for a headphone is the "chameleon" or better yet a shape shifter, each recording should sound distinctly different unlike the 650s, therefor an untinted window....the HD700s did this quite well, more so than even my 800S IMHO, having no real flavor of its own and am hoping the 660s offer a somewhat similar trait.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #276 of 396
There may have been a slight misunderstanding....lol...although my ideal for a headphone is the "chameleon" or better yet a shape shifter, each recording should sound distinctly different unlike the 650s, therefor an untinted window....the HD700s did this quite well, more so than even my 800S IMHO, having no real flavor of its own and am hoping the 660s offer a somewhat similar trait.

If a chameleon that completely gets out of the way is what you are looking for, then I highly suggest giving the Amiron Home a try, it's an untinted window. As I've been listening to a lot of headphones lately, it's really just dawned on me about them, I realized why they have satisfied me and continued to do so, they don't have any color to their sound. I am finding the HD 660 S does have slight tint to it's sound like the HD 600 and HD 650 do as I spend more time with it, like there is a slight smoothing filter on the sound, but it could be my system, need to try more systems on the HD 660 S and the Amiron. Interesting, need to listen more to both as well as some other headphones and think a bit on this.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #277 of 396
He is on a quest for the holy grail of headphones, that's all.
Holy grail ? So I know which one to buy.
Sennheiser-HE-1-Headphones-With-Tube-Amplifier-702x336.jpg

You should go to one of these events and audio meetings, maybe you'll meet your chameleon.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #278 of 396
If a chameleon that completely gets out of the way is what you are looking for, then I highly suggest giving the Amiron Home a try, it's an untinted window. As I've been listening to a lot of headphones lately, it's really just dawned on me about them, I realized why they have satisfied me and continued to do so, they don't have any color to their sound. I am finding the HD 660 S does have slight tint to it's sound like the HD 600 and HD 650 do as I spend more time with it, like there is a slight smoothing filter on the sound. Interesting, need to listen more and think a bit on this.
You did own the DT1990 right? Where does it fit in, is tinted or not? I have a shop around the the corner that has the Amiron on display.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #279 of 396
You did own the DT1990 right? Where does it fit in, is tinted or not? I have a shop around the the corner that has the Amiron on display.

I've owned the DT 1990 many months alongside the Amiron, it is a little tinted compared to the Amiron, I found the DT 1990 has a slight dry tint to the sound. I need more time on the HD 660 S and to try more systems to make for sure, but I do feel it does have a slight smoothing tint to it's sound. I like the smoothing tint I am noticing on the HD 660 S, adds this pleasing silky smooth effect to the sound. Sadly need to put headphone listening off for a few days as I have a bit of a sinus infection, so just speakers for now and don't want to make anymore impressions until my ears are back to normal.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #280 of 396
The pads and the driver need serious breaking in.The sound went from overly warm and smooth/subdued to almost bright but very detailed and dynamic.Instruments and strings come to the fore and are very detailed but still musical and not too shouty/edgy .I would give them at least 250h of listening time to settle in.

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #281 of 396
The pads and the driver need serious breaking in.The sound went from overly warm and smooth/subdued to almost bright but very detailed and dynamic.Instruments and strings come to the fore and are very detailed but still musical and not too shouty/edgy .I would give them at least 250h of listening time to settle in.

Interesting, I'll have them go through some heavy break-in the next few days. I have them stretched on some books to a little wider than my head playing music as I have my speakers playing background music while I'm sick, need clear ears to do anymore listening anyways. The clamp was getting to me earlier and I need to break the pads and drivers in some more.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #282 of 396
All this Amiron talk has has me intrigued but if a picture speaks a thousand words they may be too laid back. (sorry couldn't resist. :ksc75smile:)
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 9.49.35 AM.png
Anyway the ETA from Amazon.ca for my 660s is slated between Dec 22 and January 8th....so still a bit a time before I can actually contribute any concrete (serious) observations...soon though. : )

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #283 of 396
I would think the HA2 will be able to drive the EL-8 without any issue since the EL-8 is quite efficient.

I think its a good thing that Tyll keeps using the same tracks since this gives all his reviews a constant point of reference and why would an individual like me for example evaluate a headphone with rap or metal when I don't listen to the genre? A headphone may do great with those genres but if I mainly listen to classical or jazz I couldn't care less that it sound good with rap and metal since I never listen to those genres.

There is definitely pros and cons to only using a standardized playlist of songs for testing. Some positives: the reviewer (and readers) have a consistent frame of reference, the reviewer really gets to know subtle aspects of a song that can be missed on first listening, and it can help the reviewer focus in on specific aspects and more quickly contrast with other gear. A standardized playlist can be very educational. However, there are also some negatives. A song can be too familiar, to the point where the sound matches the viewer’s memory and they don’t listen with the same level of engagement as the first time they hear a song. A “standardized” playlist will probably have songs selected on the basis of “this song for its sparkling treble, that song for lovely female vocals, another song with bass quantity so strong it causes many headphones to distort,” and other factors, but it may lack in variety to miss the special strength of a headphone, or distract the reviewer for listening to the music as a whole. Lastly, listening to the same songs, over and over, for years and years, can get awfully dull, and be torture on the enthusiast who only started listening and reviewing audio because they enjoy music.

Everyone’s mileage will vary. Perhaps, the best approach is to mix a standardized playlist in with a randomized shuffle of new music to surprise and delight the listener. Also, many readers love discovering an awesome new song that the reviewer found really brought out the strengths of a headphone.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 18, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #284 of 396
All this Amiron talk has has me intrigued but if a picture speaks a thousand words they may be too laid back. (sorry couldn't resist. :ksc75smile:)

Anyway the ETA from Amazon.ca for my 660s is slated between Dec 22 and January 8th....so still a bit a time before I can actually contribute any concrete (serious) observations...soon though. : )

Comedy sounds “Womp wom wom whaaaaaa!”
We have quite a few pictures and videos with smiling people leaning back and enjoying their music time as well, but of course we look forward to your HD 660 S impressions, and anyone else’s. For now, feel free to keep making less than serious observations and comedy gold :grin:

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 18, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #285 of 396

Lol. I think Sennheiser and Beyer have different definitions of laid back. Lets hope you get the HD 660 S earlier than expected. I want to listen to the HD 660 S more but need to get better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back