Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Dec 17, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #241 of 396
HEHEHE, In this hobby there are only men over 50 who say they like to drink something, ...........
.............. ...............maybe it's time for you to give other companies a chance, you may be surprised . :L3000:

Good question, might go with the hobby after not finding the perfect phone after decades of searching ...lol........been there done that a dozen times or more....:beerchug:

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #242 of 396
Good question, might go with the hobby after not finding the perfect phone after decades of searching ...lol........been there done that a dozen times or more....:beerchug:

If the HD 660 S doesn't work out for you, I suggest giving the Amiron Home a shot, it's the only headphone that has completely satisfied me so far. The HD 660 S is too new for me to know that about it yet.

Dec 17, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #243 of 396
HEHEHE, In this hobby there are only men over 50 who say they like to drink something, usually a wine or some other alcoholic crap, and recline on some comfortable armchair, @DavidA and @ buke9 who say so, but why do not you change after that fiasco that is the HD 660 S I've been giving some research and found Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and E-MU Teak and both have aroused my interest, maybe it's time for you to give other companies a chance, you may be surprised . :L3000:
The only way to really appreciate music/headphones IMO (I've got a glass of scotch ATM listening to Neil Cowley modern jazz on 600s bliss).

I'm in my early 50s but I've always been the same & never changed although my musical tastes have !!

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #244 of 396
My EL-8 is open back and while I've heard the closed back its good but not my cup of tea so to speak. My recommendation for the EL-8 is because they are on sale for $339 which makes them a pretty good deal IMO and for me a better sounding headphone over the HD660S for the genres that I prefer and how I use them which is usually with female centric vocals and only a DAP to drive them while sitting on my lanai or in the bedroom.

I'm going to be able to demo the el-8 in next couple of days and if they impress I think I will buy them. Only thing is to buy closed or open back. Do they leak much? (Open back) I listen in my bedroom directly above my neighbours bedroom and sound travels between semi easily. Is the leak loud enough to disturb at unsociable hours or will I be fine? As an example of how the sound leaks from rooms I can hear him cough at moderate levels

I also seen the lcd2 classic is being released. Not sure if it's coming out soon in the UK would you say the el-8 is still the better option, especially since I don't have a high end amp DAC. (Oppo ha2se) and that the female vocals and bass are supposedly better on the el-8 compared to the classics.

Dec 17, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #245 of 396
Most headphones sound better with higher impedance and a bit more amplification!

That's a sweeping generalization. The lower impedence has done wonders for my listening through my Pono in the balanced mode. It could never drive the 600's to my satisfaction. I suspect the same will hold true for a lot of low power devices when paired with the 660S phones.

Dec 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #246 of 396
Everyone knows that there is no perfect headphone, but why use one when you can use several? No headphone is perfect at all but it can be perfect in a specific area so you could have some headphones for certain types of music, movies or anything else. :dt880smile:
If the HD 660 S doesn't work out for you, I suggest giving the Amiron Home a shot, it's the only headphone that has completely satisfied me so far. The HD 660 S is too new for me to know that about it yet.
Look him there, it was with you that I wanted to talk, correlation to Amiron Home, I saw a graph showing his signature and from what I realized although I do not understand very well these things was that this headphone has more emphasis on the bass, it's true ? And which amplifier do you use:question:
The only way to really appreciate music/headphones IMO (I've got a glass of scotch ATM listening to Neil Cowley modern jazz on 600s bliss).

I'm in my early 50s but I've always been the same & never changed although my musical tastes have !!
Well, apart from the alcoholic drink, I also think the best way to enjoy good music is with headphones, unfortunately I do not have a recliner. :triportsad:

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #247 of 396
Look him there, it was with you that I wanted to talk, correlation to Amiron Home, I saw a graph showing his signature and from what I realized although I do not understand very well these things was that this headphone has more emphasis on the bass, it's true ? And which amplifier do you use:question:

The Amiron has more and deeper reaching bass as well as more and higher reaching treble. The midrange takes a slight step back but it doesn’t have any issues to my ears. It has a bit of that vivid Tesla Beyer treble, if you have heard a Tesla Beyer you will understand what I mean. The treble is going to be the make or break aspect of the Amirons depending on how the treble is to you. The HD 660 S for example is midrange focused and smooth sounding headphone and is more intimate and lush sounding with a bit of a rolled off treble. Very different headphones but both are very good tonally and in terms of transparency but have notably different presentations.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #248 of 396
The Amiron has more and deeper reaching bass as well as more and higher reaching treble. The midrange takes a slight step back but it doesn’t have any issues to my ears. It has a bit of that vivid Tesla Beyer treble, if you have heard a Tesla Beyer you will understand what I mean. The treble is going to be the make or break aspect of the Amirons depending on how the treble is to you. The HD 660 S for example is midrange focused and smooth sounding headphone and is more intimate and lush sounding with a bit of a rolled off treble. Very different headphones but both are very good tonally and in terms of transparency but have notably different presentations.
And which amplifier do you use ?

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #250 of 396
HEHEHE, In this hobby there are only men over 50 who say they like to drink something, usually a wine or some other alcoholic crap, and recline on some comfortable armchair, @DavidA and @buke9 who say so, but why do not you change after that fiasco that is the HD 660 S I've been giving some research and found Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and E-MU Teak and both have aroused my interest, maybe it's time for you to give other companies a chance, you may be surprised . :L3000:

My GF and her friends didn't care for this comment and said its one reason why there are mostly only men on this site, too many men with trying to be macho or have fragile egos. And since I listen for enjoyment what's your problem with me having wine or other alcoholic crap while I recline on a comfortable love sofa with my GF who has her own headphone to listen to? Its a activity that we both enjoy since we are spending time together doing something we both enjoy.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #251 of 396
I'm going to be able to demo the el-8 in next couple of days and if they impress I think I will buy them. Only thing is to buy closed or open back. Do they leak much? (Open back) I listen in my bedroom directly above my neighbours bedroom and sound travels between semi easily. Is the leak loud enough to disturb at unsociable hours or will I be fine? As an example of how the sound leaks from rooms I can hear him cough at moderate levels

I also seen the lcd2 classic is being released. Not sure if it's coming out soon in the UK would you say the el-8 is still the better option, especially since I don't have a high end amp DAC. (Oppo ha2se) and that the female vocals and bass are supposedly better on the el-8 compared to the classics.

The EL-8 open does leak sound but less than my HD650 or Grado so unless you are at dangerously high listening levels you should be okay. Since I haven't heard a LCD2 classic and there are very few reviews (I haven't really looked) this might be something you may want to wait for but there's a chance that you might not be able to get a EL-8 for the current sale price since they are going to discontinue the EL-8 open & closed and only have the EL-8 aluminum from what I've seen posted in the EL-8 thread IIRC.

Dec 18, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #252 of 396
My GF and her friends didn't care for this comment and said its one reason why there are mostly only men on this site, too many men with trying to be macho or have fragile egos. And since I listen for enjoyment what's your problem with me having wine or other alcoholic crap while I recline on a comfortable love sofa with my GF who has her own headphone to listen to? Its a activity that we both enjoy since we are spending time together doing something we both enjoy.

Ignore him. There's always going to be people like this on any forum

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #255 of 396
Listening to the new Eminem album right now. I simply love how the HD660S plays this, especially the bass is surprisingly well done. so are all the different femal and male voices. And EMs background talk is clearly audible. Maybe Mr.T should start to listen to a different music catalog of music instead of replaying the same stuff over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back