Meet the Sennheiser HD 660 S
Dec 17, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #226 of 396
Variety is the spice of life.....

Once my 660s arrive I have a sneaking suspicion what my observations will be similar to metal571.

Tomorrow, i will buy my HD650 new pads. Boy the foam inside seems to fall apart.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #227 of 396
Variety is the spice of life.....

Once my 660s arrive I have a sneaking suspicion what my observations will be similar to metal571.

I love his reviews - sort of the polar opposite of Zeos, whom I watch mostly for entertainment value, metal actually covers the bases on build, comfort, and all aspects of the sound, consistently from review to review, which is very different from Zeos’ stream-of-consciousness approach.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #229 of 396
he didn't liked it at all, very disappointing, actually recommending getting 650 or 600

I can imagine that people may prefer the 650; audio is an illusion of reality, and everybody has his own preferences.

What surprises me is Tyll's observation that the HD660 has almost the same sensitivity as the HD650. In my case this is not the case, I measure about 5dB of difference on an iFi, which has sufficient juice to drive both headphones to crazy levels. Does it mean there are sample variations?

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #230 of 396
Most of the improvements that the 660 offers can be wrung out of the 650 by properly modding them and it's very easy to do. And you can do all of them or some of them to suit your preferences

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #231 of 396
I can imagine that people may prefer the 650; audio is an illusion of reality, and everybody has his own preferences.

What surprises me is Tyll's observation that the HD660 has almost the same sensitivity as the HD650. In my case this is not the case, I measure about 5dB of difference on an iFi, which has sufficient juice to drive both headphones to crazy levels. Does it mean there are sample variations?
It's hard to have an opinion about a headphone when you can not test it, I can only rely on reviews and forums, plus the reviews are very divided, which means I might not like it, so I prefer buy something that the vast majority like, like Beyerdynamic Amiron Home.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #233 of 396
Tomorrow, i will buy my HD650 new pads. Boy the foam inside seems to fall apart.

If you haven't done so already have you tried swapping pads between your 650s and 660s?
I could be mistaken but going from recent memory the pads on a new pair of 650s I had acquired just a few months ago do appear to match the 660s description and these recent 650s sounded distinctly different to as 5 year old pair of 650s (yes they had the current drivers) I had earlier this year.... unfortunately I sold them last month to finance the 660s so will not be able to do a direct comparison. I can say that the current pads were quite different from the replacement pads I recieved for my HD580/600 just a few years ago, they had more rounded edges so if you do order pads hopefully they are current.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #234 of 396
Plenty of reviews, I'd like to add another. A short one.

I listened to the 660S's with several of my favorite albums
over a few days.
Amp > Gustard H10 (solid state).

Eventually did some comparison listening with Senn HD600's,
Beyer T90's, and Grado PS500e's.

Ultimately, I'll say that I'm not entirely sure what Sennheiser
is trying to do with these headphones (other than selling them,
of course).

The 600's sound better, imo. Richer, greater clarity, altogether
better bass, and better soundstage. Build quality and wearing
comfort is about the same.

I expected the 660S's to be very good headphones; better
than the HD600's. But, as noted, this was not the case.

Also, about six months ago, I had the HD650's for a while.
I kept trying to figure out why they were regarded so
highly, because to me they sounded bland and boring.
Competent, surely. But I'd heard others, similarly priced,
which I liked more. Such as the AKG 712 and Beyer DT880 (250).
From memory only, I'm not fully able to compare the 650's with any
of these other headphones. My guess, or "sense" is that I'd
still take the 600's over the 650's, and I'd probably take the
660S's over the 650's. (I am just not a big fan of the 650's.)

Well, another day, another headphone.
Or something like that.

Dec 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #238 of 396
Until mine get shipped I'll need to hold judgement.....but again...personal preferences....the HD700 IMHO were/are an improvement in many areas over the aging 600 series, for me, and replaced my HD580/600 which I had for many years by offering a clearer better extended view into the recording. And again just in the last 12 months I went through 2 pairs of 650s and the Massdrop HD6XXs, but each time I asked myself why? lol Seriously though... after being in this hobby for the good part of more than 40 years the 700 were a refreshing new offering from Sennheiser and I only replaced them once I had the 800S, I'm hoping the the 660s with the 700 like driver will finally resolve my love hate relation with the previous HD600 series for the better.
There's not too much Senn can do to offer a 600/650 replacement, they are what they are....what they can do is offer something new and different...which I think they may have done....like it or leave it...again personal choice, listening habits and music, etc....
Headphones for me are a tool, not a pillow to lay my head, even at my age I still like to be challenged by the recording and the music, not to be pacified...so unlike Mr T I do not like "comfortably smooth"....my music time is limited, usually an hour or two and if a performance doesn't get me on the edge of my seat...well.....
Now that's not to say I do not appreciate chilling out with my feet up and a beverage of choice but with the previous 600 reiterations my attention always waned to the point where I stopped listening.
Price wise .... for what cost way less than what most pay for a cup of coffee a day over a year...shouldn't really be an issue one way or another.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #239 of 396
Until mine get shipped I'll need to hold judgement.....but again...personal preferences....the HD700 IMHO were/are an improvement in many areas over the aging 600 series, for me, and replaced my HD580/600 which I had for many years by offering a clearer better extended view into the recording. And again just in the last 12 months I went through 2 pairs of 650s and the Massdrop HD6XXs, but each time I asked myself why? lol Seriously though... after being in this hobby for the good part of more than 40 years the 700 were a refreshing new offering from Sennheiser and I only replaced them once I had the 800S, I'm hoping the the 660s with the 700 like driver will finally resolve my love hate relation with the previous HD600 series for the better.
There's not too much Senn can do to offer a 600/650 replacement, they are what they are....what they can do is offer something new and different...which I think they may have done....like it or leave it...again personal choice, listening habits and music, etc....
Headphones for me are a tool, not a pillow to lay my head, even at my age I still like to be challenged by the recording and the music, not to be pacified...so unlike Mr T I do not like "comfortably smooth"....my music time is limited, usually an hour or two and if a performance doesn't get me on the edge of my seat...well.....
Now that's not to say I do not appreciate chilling out with my feet up and a beverage of choice but with the previous 600 reiterations my attention always waned to the point where I stopped listening.
Price wise .... for what cost way less than what most pay for a cup of coffee a day over a year...shouldn't really be an issue one way or another.
HEHEHE, In this hobby there are only men over 50 who say they like to drink something, usually a wine or some other alcoholic crap, and recline on some comfortable armchair, @DavidA and @buke9 who say so, but why do not you change after that fiasco that is the HD 660 S I've been giving some research and found Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and E-MU Teak and both have aroused my interest, maybe it's time for you to give other companies a chance, you may be surprised . :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back