MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 9, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #316 of 549
Or maybe Jack performed the spritzer blue tack mod on his pair of Mk2
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Just look at what Stax have done.  It was clear to me at the meet that they are actually selling SR-007Mk2.5's now as the port is plugged (i.e. they fart) and they sound much closer to the Mk1.  They listened to the customers and have a better product because of that. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #317 of 549
Still working on my Impressions Typeup. The Bismark was frikkin nice though. As were the Dreadnaught, the Cask Alpha King through the beer engine (no spritzer cap), the Cameron Brig, most of the cask strength scotch and the draught Sam Adams. Great to see everyone I'd met before and great too to meet those I hadn't. Didn't spend a lot of time with headphones. The company and the booze were better than any headphones. Star of the show for me was the SR-003 from the T2 which was the most glorious and delicious overkill, and (again) the SR-007 from the BHSE.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #318 of 549

Quote:
Still working on my Impressions Typeup. The Bismark was frikkin nice though. As were the Dreadnaught, the Cask Alpha King through the beer engine (no spritzer cap), the Cameron Brig, most of the cask strength scotch and the draught Sam Adams. Great to see everyone I'd met before and great too to meet those I hadn't. Didn't spend a lot of time with headphones. The company and the booze were better than any headphones. Star of the show for me was the SR-003 from the T2 which was the most glorious and delicious overkill, and (again) the SR-007 from the BHSE.

Did you hear the JH-3A?

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #319 of 549

Quote:
Star of the show for me was the SR-003 from the T2 which was the most glorious and delicious overkill, and (again) the SR-007 from the BHSE.

Ooh can you describe the SR-003  sound from T2 a bit more :D. It would be interesting to hear how good it can sound.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #320 of 549

Quote:
Did you hear the JH-3A?

I did. Like I said. Still typing up the report in full. The JH-3A were very interesting.

Quote:
Ooh can you describe the SR-003  sound from T2 a bit more :D. It would be interesting to hear how good it can sound.

See above. I'm sorry there's this lag. I was jet-lagged to hell when I got home and now because of that my sleep is all fouled up. I preferred the SR-003 from the T2 to the 404LE from the Woo WES though as a quantifier.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #321 of 549

Quote:
I did. Like I said. Still typing up the report in full. The JH-3A were very interesting.

See above. I'm sorry there's this lag. I was jet-lagged to hell when I got home and now because of that my sleep is all fouled up. I preferred the SR-003 from the T2 to the 404LE from the Woo WES though as a quantifier.

I'd appreciate if you can also post your JH-3A impressions in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/496086

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #322 of 549

Quote:
Ohh I'll be there.  Somebody has to get Al into trouble and try to keep up with Tyll and Gene. 
tongue.gif

Just as long as Gene and Jacob can't beat me in an arm wrestle, I'm still living a happy life. 
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #324 of 549
Aaron, ASR, etc.

I will agree that there were a fairly low number of member rigs there this year, which was one reason why I brought mine. However, there seems to be a propensity of people who believe that the vendor stuff is better than DIY stuff, and show traffic would seem to bear this out in terms of perception. Other than the T2, I haven't seen much discussion or mention of member gear in the impressions thread. Ari's Silver Ghost got a bit of mention, as did the Dynamight (most of which seemed to be centered on the Halide). The thunderpants also got some coverage.

Things which are unusual or not often seen will get comments (vinyl, Ironbut's reel to reel rig, etc.) By and large, no comments at all on most of the member gear. I'm sure most members would welcome comments, both positive and negative, of their gear.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #325 of 549
Couple of quickies...

The serial number of my O2mk1's is 17  not 39.
And the left channel is definitely destroyed.
Best guess since there was also a problem on the
amplifier knob bearing is that someone acidentally
spilled water in the amp and headphones. Hopefully
it was an accident i would hate to think it was deliberate.

Water and electrostats and 1 kilovolt definitely don't play
well together. For next year the electrostatics probably should
all be in one room, and no drinks allowed to prevent another
occurance of this.  The chairs running over various headphone
cables was not such a good idea either.

Re: cheap chinese tubes.  You Betcha.
After what happened to the heaphones, i'm real glad
i used the best $5 each tubes i could find. No way
was i going to use $1k in tubes for a show.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #326 of 549

Quote:
At least, we did not have any glass being dropped off balconies and no cops being called in.

I didn't see any cops, but where were you Saturday night while I was busy swapping out good crystal for cheap hotel barware for the shatter fest?

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #327 of 549

Quote:
I definitely preferred the stock cabled pair of LCD-2s to the ALO cabled pair. Alex asked me to try it, and I told him it sounded a bit off. The out of phase wiring could definitely have been the cause. Not a real big deal to resolve though.

I'm saying it here and now, there was no out of phase wiring, period.  Stop the bogus rumor mill.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #328 of 549
There were so many great things at CanJam! Awesome people too!

I'll start with what I consider to be a contender for Best of Show, the Apex Pennicle with balanced HD800. I liked Beyerdynamic T1 better than HD800 on every setup at CanJam except this one. The combo of this amp with balanced HD800 was unsurpassed. Typically the HD800 did not have enough bass impact and was very thin on the lower end. Not on this amp. I would have liked to try a balanced T1 on it but none was available so this compairison used the T1 single ended. It also drove HD650s very well. As for the price, if you have to ask - you can't afford it.

I still like the T1 better than the HD800.

The ECP gear blew me away with its sound quality. I hope to hear more at Carolina CanFest II in August.

The LCD2 was AWESOME!!!

Tyll's headphone testing setup is a huge asset to the community and he may in fact be one of the coolest people on the planet.
( I stole this pic and am simply reposting it.)

The folks here showed me my ear drum. Its on the monitor there.

In the Woo Audio room the WES and WA22 were a big hit. You had to wait in line to listen to them. I'm surprised (really surprised - shocked) that they only had one WA22 there and didn't have any balanced cans to try on it. The whole point of the WA22 is that its balanced. Ted, the Cable Pro guy, was kind enough to loan me a Balanced cable to try my HD650s on it. The Woo amps didn't dissapoint. I wasn't wild about Woo's first electrostatic amp, the GES. It was good but the sound just felt a bit thin. The WES is a big step up (in price too) and really took it to the next level. I am admittedly not an experienced Stax guy. I use a WA6 at home and I think the WA22 would be an improvement for me. I can't put my finger on what I liked better about it. It must just be that balanced sound. Plus I can keep my Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier for use on the WA22.
The first one is the WA22.

I tried several of Ted's Cable Pro cables on my HD650. I currently use the Moon Audio Silver Dragon on them and I like it a lot. All of the Cable Pro cables at every pricepoint had a great sound and were more flexible than the Silver Dragon. I was impressed by how balanced the sound seemed to be out of even the least expensive of his cables. If you're on a budget or even if you're not I would recommend having these cables in the running for your stock cable replacement. Besides Cable Pro and Moon Audio, Equinox also has a good cable if you're in the market.

Headroom guys were awesome. The Headroom gear was all very good. Goes to show that looks aren't everything. Even the most ugly of their gear had a really impressive sound. I liked the way they setup their room better than all the other rooms.

I was very impressed with the Sennheiser PX100 II. I believe the PX100 II rivals the HD600 in sound quality. The Shure SRH440 was also a real winner sounding better than all of Shure's other closed cans despite costing half as much as their SRH840 model.

SRH440

When I got home I promptly ordered the PX100 II and Shure SRH440 from Headroom.  They will be here early next week. :)

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza!

Side view...   Wow

Yours truly

Here is some Cary gear.

The NC crew really represented at CanJam! I'll see you all at NC CanFest II in August.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #329 of 549
Kevin, I completely agree - my point was the t2 was great even with those tubes, where few of us know how much better with the Mullards, and pity that good gear can't be trusted to meets without constant supervision.

Agreed, going forward, no beverages should be allowed in any room with stat rigs

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #330 of 549

Quote:
I didn't see any cops, but where were you Saturday night while I was busy swapping out good crystal for cheap hotel barware for the shatter fest?

I was either in a 12 y.o scotch stupor , or attempting to steal towels 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back