MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #346 of 549
Well I began my impressions with drinking pics so I suppose I should give some more impressions of the Three Floyd's trip we took on Friday to kick off festivities.  As I spent so much of the weekend on conference calls for work and missed much of the after-hours fun this was one of the highlights of CanJam for me.

The caravan out was filled with anticipation.

My impression of the FFF run was the beer, food and company were all excellent.

swt61, NMaher, Luvdunhill and Duggeh

Luvdunhill and Spritzer

Duggeh

Everyone

Agile_One, Spritzer, Voltron and Aura

JPNums checking e-mails in the corridor of beer taps.

Greg was either trying to avoid the camera or falling out of his chair, I cannot remember.

This was just about the time I asked Raffy for a pic of him downing directly from the 90 Minute IPA.  (it took 3 or four tries to get the picture just how I wanted it)

Ironbut, Agile_One and JP11801 paying reverence to some Beer Deity.

Iron_Dreamer, Voltron, PFKMan23, Agile_One and Aura

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #347 of 549

Quote:
If people had the opportunity to hear the TTVJ Apex Peak with Volcano power supply, I would be very interested to hear more impressions. Does the single 6SN7 tube in the amplifier stage produce a 'tubey' sound? Overall how did this perform relative to its $2000 price? Anyone try it with the T1 and/or LCD-2?

I listened after hours to the T-1 and the HD800's using the Apex Peak, and had a darn good time doing so. Of course it was 1 am and many libations were ingested before this listening session.
The Peak really made the two headphones shine the way they were meant to sound.
Todd was trying to get me to listen to the Pinnacle, but canceled flights home took precedent
and frantically stole away from my listening time.
I did spend a long time listening to the T-1's through the Luxman amp and P1u CDP.
I have the P-1, so I was really interested in hearing what the "u" sounded like. I listened
to an entire side of Quadrophenia which I haven't done in years, and was in listening bliss.
I started out with "5:15".
I really wanted to compare the Luxman CDP to my G08, and
Todd graciously offered for me to take it home for the meet to do side by side comparisons,
but my check-in was maxxed out, and there was no way that I was going to check-in that
puppy. Hopefully, I can get Todd to send it to me, because it really peaked (no pun intended)
my interest.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #349 of 549

Quote:
I think some people are mis-interpreting what i said about the lcd2's.
I'm not saying that one channel was out of phase with the other channel.
What i'm saying is that both channels were wired in phase, but the absolute
phase was 180 degrees from every single other headphone that tyll measured.
Clearly his book of graphs showed this, every other headphone tested had
a starting phase of around zero.

Many people are definitely sensitive to absolute phase. I can definitely
hear the difference, many preamps have an absolute phase switch for
music accidentally recorded out of absolute phase.

I believe that the standard is that a positive going signal results in a positive
increase in pressure, i.e. a positive signal results in the diaphram moving
towards your ear.

In any case it is an absolutely trivial thing to fix, takes no more than 5 minutes.

Kevin,
Thanks for setting the record straight.  This makes perfect sense.  BTW, as I mentioned in an earlier post, your T2 sounded absolutely wonderful!!  BTW, the Laphroig was awesome too!!!  U da man!!

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #350 of 549
[size=x-small]Here are pictures from My Table. Did not get to do much exploring around the meet since I was a one man show. Hopefully some day I can just go a check out all the other toys:) Once all the gear arrives back in North Carolina, Most of it will be for sale at great prices. Check my forum Here for all the pricing and Show Specials that were going on at the show and will so for the next few weeks.[/size]
[size=x-small]Enjoy....[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam1.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Moon Audio Table....[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam2.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Cary Audio Xciter Headphone Amplifier with Genelex KT66 and 12ax7 Tubes
Cary Audio Xciter Dac
Cary Audio Xciter MS-1 Music Server with iTouch controller
[/size]
[size=x-small]Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla Headphones with 10 ft Moon Audio Black Dragon Headphone cable with 1/4" Furutech Plug[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam3.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla Headphones with 10 ft Moon Audio Black Dragon Headphone cable with 1/4" Furutech Plug[/size]
[size=x-small]Cary Audio Xciter Dac
Cary Audio Xciter MS-1 Music Server with iTouch controller
Cary Audio CAD 300SEI Headphone Amplifier
[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam4.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Cary Audio CAD 300SEI Headphone Amplifier
Cary Audio CAD 303T SACD Pro cd player with 24/192 USB input!!!
[/size]
[size=x-small]Grado GS1000i Headphones[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam5.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Grado GS1000i Headphones
Cary Audio CAD 303T SACD Pro cd player with 24/192 USB input!!!
Blossom Blo-0299 Headphone Amplifier
Sennheiser HD800 headphones with Moon Audio Silver and Blue Dragon Headphone cables with Neutrik XLRs
[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam6.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Sennheiser HD800 headphones with Moon Audio Silver and Blue Dragon Headphone cables with Neutrik XLRs[/size]
[size=x-small]Blossom Blo-0299 Headphone Amplifier[/size]
[size=x-small]HifiMan HE6 Headphones with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Headphone cables with Neutrik XLRs[/size]
[size=x-small]Moon Audio/Beyerdynamic DT880 Dragon Series V1 600ohm headphones with Detachable cable mod and 10ft Moon Audio Black Dragon Headphone cable with 1/4" Furutech Plug
Grace M902 Headphone Amp & USB Dac
Burson Audio AB-160 Buffer
Burson Audio HA-160 Headphone Amplifier
[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam8.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]AKG K702 headphones with Split Detachable cable mod and 10ft Moon Audio Black Dragon Headphone cable with 1/4" Furutech Plug[/size]
[size=x-small]Burson Audio AB-160 Buffer
Burson Audio HA-160 Headphone Amplifier
[/size]
[size=x-small]Creek Evolution 2 CD Player[/size]
[size=x-small]Beyerdynamic T50p Headphones[/size]
[size=x-small]Moon Audio/Beyerdynamic DT770 Dragon Series V1 600ohm headphones with Hardwired cable mod and 10ft Moon Audio Black Dragon Headphone cable with 1/4" Furutech Plug[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam9.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]iQube V1 Portable Headphone amplifier
iQube V2 Portable Headphone amplifier with USB Dac
Music Hall DAC25.2 USB Dac
Music Hall PH25.2 Headphone Amplifier
[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam10.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Assorted Moon Audio LOD cables and Ray Samuels Protector Adapter cables[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam11.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Cary Audio CAD300SEI Signature Edition Headphone Amplifier with gobs of upgraded parts. Like Cardas Golden Coupling Caps, Moon Audio Black Dragon wiring, Direct Coupled, DACT attenuator, Cardas RCA & Binding posts, Black Diamond Racing cones & More..[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam12.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Close up of the Blossom Blo-0299 Headphone Amplifier with Sennheiser HD800 and Moon Audio Blue Dragon HD800 headphone cable with Balanced connectors[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam13.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Close up of:[/size]
[size=x-small]HifiMan HE6 Headphones with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Headphone cables with Neutrik XLRs[/size]
[size=x-small]Moon Audio/Beyerdynamic DT880 Dragon Series V1 600ohm headphones with Detachable cable mod and 10ft Moon Audio Black Dragon Headphone cable with 1/4" Furutech Plug[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam14.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Close up of Cary Audio Xciter Dac
Cary Audio Xciter MS-1 Music Server with iTouch
[/size]

[size=x-small]
MoonAudio2010Canjam15.jpg
[/size]

[size=x-small]Cary Audio Xciter Headphone Amplifier with Genelex KT66 and 12ax7 Tubes[/size]

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 10, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #351 of 549
Nice pics!

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #353 of 549
I had a chance during a quiet period in TTVJ's room to spend time and carefully go back and forth between the T1 and HD800 using the small Apex amp.  It became pretty clear to me that I prefered the HD800 but they both sounded very good.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #355 of 549
I'm back in East Lansing now, and sometime tonight I should be able to post my pics (or some of them, at least) from CanJam. I'll be busy taking my car in and then dealing with work until about 9:00 PM, but I should certainly be able to post stuff by the time I go to bed (circa 4 AM).

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #356 of 549

Quote:
I'm back in East Lansing now, and sometime tonight I should be able to post my pics (or some of them, at least) from CanJam. I'll be busy taking my car in and then dealing with work until about 9:00 PM, but I should certainly be able to post stuff by the time I go to bed (circa 4 AM).

Well, what are you doing in your free time?

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #357 of 549
Thanks for your input.  As a newbie to head-fi, I have very limited experience with headphones.  Still have a couple of Stax from the '70s(!).

I heard stock GS-1000 and HD800 through a Peachtree iDecco at a shop in Austin recently and prefered the Grado.  What can I say?

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #358 of 549

Quote:
I think some people are mis-interpreting what i said about the lcd2's.

I'm not saying that one channel was out of phase with the other channel.

What i'm saying is that both channels were wired in phase, but the absolute

phase was 180 degrees from every single other headphone that tyll measured.

Clearly his book of graphs showed this, every other headphone tested had

a starting phase of around zero.

Many people are definitely sensitive to absolute phase. I can definitely

hear the difference, many preamps have an absolute phase switch for

music accidentally recorded out of absolute phase.

I believe that the standard is that a positive going signal results in a positive

increase in pressure, i.e. a positive signal results in the diaphram moving

towards your ear.

In any case it is an absolutely trivial thing to fix, takes no more than 5 minutes.

Quote:
Kevin,
Thanks for setting the record straight.  This makes perfect sense.  BTW, as I mentioned in an earlier post, your T2 sounded absolutely wonderful!!  BTW, the Laphroig was awesome too!!!  U da man!!

As it turns out, I'm not sure at all what a couple of people say they heard, but the phase delay of the LCD-2s and the Sennheiser HD-800 both start out at -140 /-150 degrees, so the inherent system delay has not been fully calibrated out.  That means that the other cans that are showing closer to 0 are not really 0 either, such as the HD201 which starts out at -40 and rotates out to -190 at 10kHz.  (BTW, the ear coupler being used in that system is only good to 10kHz for phase measurements under the best of circumstances.)

So, I won't argue about how audible absolute phase is or isn't, but I can tell you that the phase measurements we're seeing are not calibrated in the absolute sense.  They are probably trustworthy in a relative sense, frequency to frequency up to 10kHz.  What you want to look for is a flat, rather than a sloping line in that particular graph.

Cheers,
k

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #359 of 549
I have new graphs that don't show the rise to infinity at 5khz. But still the start at -180 degrees.
audeze assures me that they do battery test them, so there must be some other explanation.
Some of the headphones definitely start at about -30 degrees. Will be talking to tyll about
finding a way to make sure things are calibrated right.  They are certainly reasonably flat
and the square waves are much better than anything else i have seen. More to come
in the next week or so.

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #360 of 549
I forgot to mention the Neko DAC.  I really liked the Neko on this blue amp. There are two versions. The newer one has higher gain. That's the only difference. Both are equally great but my Woo Audio 6 amp seems to prefer sources with a higher output level so the new one would be the one for me. I didn't try it on a Woo amp. Hopefully soon I will pickup Woo's Balanced amp (WA22) and be able to try it balanced at the next meet.

I have tons more poor quality pics. Maybe I'll post all of them somewhere.

Why does Bose never come to these things?  LOL
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back