MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #301 of 549

Quote:
This was my first CanJam. I took away a few things:

1. There are lots of great sounding headphones
  2. I was woefully unprepared to listen to things I wanted to (I only could stay one day)
  3. I really need to get more involved in the community here so that next year I can say "Hi, I'm Nick" and people will say "Oh yeah, I've talked to you. Nice to meet you."

So consider this my first attempt at that. I have nothing to contribute to the discussion 
smile.gif

Oh yeah!  Hi Nick!!  I've talked to you.  Nice to meet you and welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet!!  May your ears reward you well to compensate for your thinner and lighter wallet.  
gs1000.gif

Cheers!  

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #302 of 549

Quote:
I posted a few more pics, and a few captions.  I will take more tomorrow - had a time constraint today unfortunately.

I should add - the meet was SUPER well organized, and great fun!

The Rudistor cans sounded REALLY good to me.  Smoother than Grados.  Nice detail.  I hate Grado pads, though, and that is what was on these - so will be interested to know what the final pads are like.  They showed a lot of promise, though!

The Pinnacle also sounded great in my brief audition - really good with the T1 - far better than a few other amps I heard driving the T1.

Is the Pinnacle the best amp driving T1 among all the amps you heard?

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #303 of 549
Great pics! I hope to make to a CanJam one day.

Good to hear praises for the Senn PX100-II and the Beyer T1. Can anyone share more impressions of the Beyer T50p? FWIR earlier in the thread, they were a disappointment given their price tag.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #304 of 549
I was surprised to see no impressions of the BA that was there. It would of seemed there would be a direct correlation between it, the pinnacle, and some of the woo amps.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #305 of 549
The BA was actually tucked away in one of the corners of the member tables so I actually didn't notice it was there up until the last minute.  Also it wasn't hooked up to the usual set of headphones so it was hard to compare.  I heard it connected to a pair of K701s balanced and it is the best I've ever hear the 701s sound by far!

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #306 of 549
Oh, and as for comparison between WA5, BA, and Pinnacle I think there were too many variables to call it a fair comparison between all three.  The source and headphones varied in a lot of cases and those make too much of a difference to ignore.  For example, the Pinnacle was hooked up to a $20k meridian CD player while the WA5 was connected to tube output stage CD player (can't remember the name) and each source has its own sound signature.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #307 of 549

Quote:
I was also extremely disappointed to see members of the CanJam team manning the registration table most of the time - at all four of the previous National Meets the registration tables were manned by either local-area volunteers or at least non-members of the organizing team (ok a small exception at CanJam 09, but those people did it voluntarily). The local Head-Fiers should be ashamed for not stepping up to help out with the registration table. 

Hey Steve, while I agree with you on most of your points, the first 2006 National in Bayside, only had members of the organizing team manning the tables. It is true that the NY contingent had somewhere near 200 setups for the members to listen to, but remember that our contingent has a drive proximity from Boston to DC, so it was a lot easier for members to have their setups there from drivers who attended.
It's tough to trust $10,000 worth of gear to American Airlines being checked in (especially since my wife and I had upwards of $6K of scuba gear (a life's worth of gathering, stolen from us at JFK). The stuff never made it to the plane. 6 weeks later they arrested a ring of over 60 desk agents, TSA, and catering trucks, with a system of going from the X-ray, down the conveyors, directly into catering trucks, which drove out of the airport, scott free). If it doesn't go in my carry-on, it doesn't go.

I also saw Guzziguy and vpivinylspinner and others volunteering their services at the check in table. To them and the others, hats off.

However, your point is well taken. When choosing venues for Canjams, things have to be taken into consideration. Things, like a team that can handle the responsibility properly, locals filling up tables with gobs of local gear, and the ability to attract vendors. The most important thing, when picking a venue, is ti make sure that they have bath tubs and not just stand-uo showers, so cases of beer can be kept cold in the tub with large quantities of ice. After all, we must make sure to keep our priorities in order. Duggeh and Spritzer should win, for fulfilling this need, along with Kevin Gilmore and his Scotch. The only thing is, Kevin didn't know about the "Stevieo sleeping in the tub trick" which allowed us to continue to party while Steve slept like a baby in the tub (and we have the pictures to prove it) 
tongue.gif

Of course, Tyll always treats us to his delectable selection of various libations. 
The meet needs to be broken down into two distinct areas of opportunity. One, listening to music and spending money on things that we did not even know what existed. And Two, the apres-meet party. I find them both equally important if you want to have the ultimate time.

At least, we did not have any glass being dropped off balconies and no cops being called in. I feel this is part of the maturing process.
smile.gif

I just wish we had 3 days, maybe a week to absorb all that is offered to us. Perhaps Absorbine_Sr. can remedy this.

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #308 of 549
Hey monsieurguzel,
Are you the gentleman that I met at the shuttle stop, and had some nice conversation with?
If so, it was great talking to you.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #311 of 549
Indeed that was me :)   It was really great talking with you too and meeting someone who was actually in charge of organizing one of the first of these Canjam events a few years ago!

Quote:
Hey monsieurguzel,
Are you the gentleman that I met at the shuttle stop, and had some nice conversation with?
If so, it was great talking to you.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #312 of 549
Hey Aaron,
All excellent points IMHO. But just like ASR, I was disappointed in the local turnout. I guess I'm always excited to share/show off the gear I've been tweaking during the year since I don't have any audiophile pals except online. I just never know if I've veered off on some whacky tangent that only I can appreciate.
So it puzzles me when getting folks to bring their gear is hard. I guess I'm a little spoiled living in the SF Bay Area though.

It was however, more of a social event for me this time so I had way to much fun!
It was great to spend some time with old friends and to have a little quality time (longest hot doug) getting to know you, Wayne, and the rest of the guys that weathered the flying duck fuzz for lunch on Saturday. Like I said, it wasn't just a meal, it's a new chapter in the community history books now!

I'd also like to say what a pleasure it was to meet Doug and Birgir. Talk about the life of the party! I only wish they didn't live so damn far away. When it comes to those two, I honestly think it would be in our better interest to start a fund to assure they come to the next CanJam!

Having live music there was a real plus too. It's great to have something that reminds us what this hobby has at it's heart and clear our ears of all the crap that our brains are telling us we should be hearing. And that band was outstanding! I savored every moment of it.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #314 of 549

Quote:
I'd also like to say what a pleasure it was to meet Doug and Birgir. Talk about the life of the party! I only wish they didn't live so damn far away. When it comes to those two, I honestly think it would be in our better interest to start a fund to assure they come to the next CanJam!

84 proof beer (42%)!
And in a paper bag with a hand drawn penguin nonetheless.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #315 of 549
I definitely preferred the stock cabled pair of LCD-2s to the ALO cabled pair. Alex asked me to try it, and I told him it sounded a bit off. The out of phase wiring could definitely have been the cause. Not a real big deal to resolve though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back