MEET IMPRESSIONS AND PICTURES - 2010 CanJam Chicago
Jun 9, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #286 of 549
CanJam 2010 impressions: the whole event was fantastic from start to finish and the team pulled it all off well: morphsci, recstar24, Aura, Absorbine_Sr, Pars, Kevin Gilmore. The Hyatt Regency O'Hare turned out to be a great location and our particular area in the hotel seemed to work especially well for an event like CanJam.

All credit goes to the CanJam team for pulling everything off as well as they did but at the same time I have a negative opinion of the local Illinois-area Head-Fiers for absolutely failing to support this meet. The member rooms really paled next to the vendor rooms and coming after CanJam 09, CanJam 08, HeadFest 07, and the National Meet 06, the only word that comes to mind is that it was a travesty. There was very little member gear overall when there should be no excuse for it.

I was also extremely disappointed to see members of the CanJam team manning the registration table most of the time - at all four of the previous National Meets the registration tables were manned by either local-area volunteers or at least non-members of the organizing team (ok a small exception at CanJam 09, but those people did it voluntarily). The local Head-Fiers should be ashamed for not stepping up to help out with the registration table. Some of the people on the CJ team have families and other local Head-Fiers make excuses because of their families? Are you seriously kidding me? As if the CJ team members don't have more important things to do? This group of people put a lot into the event and if nothing else the local Head-Fiers should have stepped up to provide support and help to make their on-site job easier and allow them to relax and enjoy the event. The Illinois-area Head-Fiers are the most selfish group of Head-Fiers I've ever seen at one of these national meets.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #289 of 549

Quote:
The pair of LCD-2 that Tyll measured measured out of phase. Don't know whose pair that was. I don't doubt that Ken would happily repair or replace any cables immediately, I was taken care of very well by ALO in the past.

How did you come to that conclusion?  There is no test for relative phase in Tyll's battery of tests.  An out of phase condition would be grossly audible to anyone listening and the headphone would have been culled out immediately.  I would have heard that condition in a New York second, even though we were in Chicago!

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #290 of 549

Quote:
How did you come to that conclusion?  There is no test for relative phase in Tyll's battery of tests.  An out of phase condition would be grossly audible to anyone listening and the headphone would have been culled out immediately.  I would have heard that condition in a New York second, even though we were in Chicago

The tests were explained to me to be 180 degrees out of phase, the phase at about 5khz went to infinity supposedly because of this. As you say, it should be audible. Several reports have said they heard funky imaging hinting at possible phase issues on a pair they listened to. The tested phones did have an aftermarket cable on them.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #291 of 549
Just scanned this entire thread and didn't notice any impressions of the dt48. First of all was this a vintage model or a new dt48e? Anyone listen to them?

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #293 of 549
Oh ok. I thought it was mentioned that there was a dt48 there somewhere but someone didn't have time to listen to them. I guess I misread a post somewhere.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #294 of 549

Quote:
The tests were explained to me to be 180 degrees out of phase, the phase at about 5khz went to infinity supposedly because of this. As you say, it should be audible. Several reports have said they heard funky imaging hinting at possible phase issues on a pair they listened to. The tested phones did have an aftermarket cable on them.

I didn't hear the phones or it would have been obvious to me.  I'm serious, relative phase is not a subtle thing, it is blatantly obvious the second you put the phones on your head.  The measurement was bogus and needs to be done over again, and I still maintain there is no test for relative channel to channel phase in Tyll's tests.  The plot that you saw that was labeled "phase" is an absolute phase angle rotation vs. frequency and has nothing to do with channel to channel phase.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #295 of 549

Quote:
I didn't hear the phones or it would have been obvious to me.  I'm serious, relative phase is not a subtle thing, it is blatantly obvious the second you put the phones on your head.  The measurement was bogus and needs to be done over again, and I still maintain there is no test for relative channel to channel phase in Tyll's tests.  The plot that you saw that was labeled "phase" is an absolute phase angle rotation vs. frequency and has nothing to do with channel to channel phase.

Ok. I also did not listen to that pair that I know of. I'm serious too, I believe it would be audible. I also never said there was a phase section, but as you have well stated, it seems like it would be able to affect measurements possibly.

I did hear several pairs of these over the weekend though, they sounded great to me. I don't expect the measurements to change much.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #297 of 549

Quote:
Ok. I also did not listen to that pair that I know of. I'm serious too, I said it would be audible. I also never said there was a phase section, but as you have well stated, it seems like it would be able to affect measurements possibly.

Thanks for the response mannox2.  I wonder who in the world started this rumor?  BTW, the "phase" measurement on Tyll's test is only one channel as far as I know, so it would be impossible to show relative phase.  There's only one trace on that plot.  Thanks again for the answers.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #298 of 549

Quote:
I think Edwood mentioned here earlier that the pair he tried sounded funky which explained the wrong wiring.

Thanks K3cT,
I going to have to call BOGUS on this one!  We'll have to wait for absolute confirmation of wiring, but this is just silly.  Even if the cable were wired out of phase, Tyll's test would not show that problem and it would be sonically obvious to anyone who knew what they were hearing.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #299 of 549
This was my first CanJam. I took away a few things:

1. There are lots of great sounding headphones
  2. I was woefully unprepared to listen to things I wanted to (I only could stay one day)
  3. I really need to get more involved in the community here so that next year I can say "Hi, I'm Nick" and people will say "Oh yeah, I've talked to you. Nice to meet you."

So consider this my first attempt at that. I have nothing to contribute to the discussion 
smile.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #300 of 549
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to say what a great time we had at the show. Thanks to all of the organizers for putting it together. 

As for the phase measurement anomaly we are going to do some testing asap to see if we can reproduce it.
I did not hear anything wrong with any of the cables Ken made. Not sure why someone would jump to any conclusions without evidence.

It was very nice to meet some new people and see some old friends.
I want to thank Jack from Woo Audio for assembling my WA6SE in such such short notice. I have been listening to it everyday and love it.
Thank you ALO and Soloz for providing us with some great interconnects and Alex Cavalli for letting us demonstrate our LCD-2 with his "Liquid Fire".

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back