Meet Alpha Prime
Oct 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #227 of 351
subbed
Maybe leaning towards these over the z7(actually prob gonna leave the z7 alone al together).
Though its really hard to understand 400 dollars for what maybe only an hour of driver tweeking(mainly an assumption). Worse than a lawyer 
frown.gif

I just expect a fuller more weighty sound from this than the z7. Hope I'm going in the right direction. Alpha prime vs enigma would be cool. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #228 of 351
  subbed
Maybe leaning towards these over the z7(actually prob gonna leave the z7 alone al together).
Though its really hard to understand 400 dollars for what maybe only an hour of driver tweeking(mainly an assumption). Worse than a lawyer 
frown.gif

I just expect a fuller more weighty sound from this than the z7. Hope I'm going in the right direction. Alpha prime vs enigma would be cool. 

Getting the best usually doesn't correlate with value. That's why flagship products will have the highest profit margin. It serves consumers who want the best.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #229 of 351
  subbed
frown.gif

I totally get where you're coming from bro.
But - I can tell you, as someone who was in constant contact w/ Dan Clark at MrSpeakers throughout his process this is FAR from payin' 400 bucks for an hour of merely tweaking. Honestly.

I dug my Alpha Dogs, but always felt there was somethin' missing that I couldn't put my finger on. - and so I always felt I had to say "these are great planar headphones for XXX dollars" or something like that.

When I fired up the Prime on my LAu -and then compared the Alpha Dog and Prime side-by-side (same cables) on my Studio Six the Prime was a different headphone to me.

Prime is faster: The transient attack is sharp but not fatiguing. They throw a fantastic soundstage for a closed-back design and have such a colorful timbre (NOT colored). My full review was featured in Headphone.Guru just before they were formally introduced (I was lucky these) at Canjam during RMAF.

HERES my review if you're interested.

Peace

And I had high expectations too - and they beat mine.
I hope the same comes true for you...

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #230 of 351
I totally get where you're coming from bro.
But - I can tell you, as someone who was in constant contact w/ Dan Clark at MrSpeakers throughout his process this is FAR from payin' 400 bucks for an hour of merely tweaking. Honestly.

I dug my Alpha Dogs, but always felt there was somethin' missing that I couldn't put my finger on. - and so I always felt I had to say "these are great planar headphones for XXX dollars" or something like that.

When I fired up the Prime on my LAu -and then compared the Alpha Dog and Prime side-by-side (same cables) on my Studio Six the Prime was a different headphone to me.

Prime is faster: The transient attack is sharp but not fatiguing. They throw a fantastic soundstage for a closed-back design and have such a colorful timbre (NOT colored). My full review was featured in Headphone.Guru just before they were formally introduced (I was lucky these) at Canjam during RMAF.

HERES my review if you're interested.

Peace
Thanks again for your comparisons between the Alpha Dog's and Alpha Prime's. I can hardly wait to have my beloved pair of AD'S upgraded. Hope you have a great evening listening to great tunes.

And I had high expectations too - and they beat mine.
I hope the same comes true for you...

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #231 of 351
  Getting the best usually doesn't correlate with value. That's why flagship products will have the highest profit margin. It serves consumers who want the best.

I fail to see any correlation between your first statement and your second statement.  Flagships aren't  flagships because they are marked up higher - they are flagships because they are the best the brand can offer - and compete against other brands' best.  

Besides,  I'd put it the other way 'round-- value is not an acceptable substitute for (ultimate) performance

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #232 of 351
Mike,

I did not know that  Alex has the Liquid Crimson out. I forgot about that. However I brought my IFI micro iDSD with me and any headphones I pick out has to work with the micro.  Cavalli amps is out of reach for me but I have no regrets.

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #236 of 351

Just ordered. Thanks, Dan!

Would we have a same warranty as a new Alpha Prime?     

Yes, it does reset the warranty.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 26, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #237 of 351
  Mike,

I did not know that  David has the Liquid Crimson out. I forgot about that. However I brought my IFI micro iDSD with me and any headphones I pick out has to work with the micro.  Cavalli amps is out of reach for me but I have no regrets.

The Liquid Crimson is a lovely piece of equipment, very enjoyable.  He reduced the size a lot, too, so it's more desk friendly.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #238 of 351
Had the privilege of listening to you're newest cans in Japan - the Crimson paired wonderfully with the Alpha Primes. And the Primes paired great with the Hugo as well.

Two questions I didn't get to ask at the show - How far down does the bass go on the Alpha Primes vs the Alpha Dogs - and what cables were you using with the Alpha Dogs for the Liquid Crimson?

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #239 of 351
Had the privilege of listening to you're newest cans in Japan - the Crimson paired wonderfully with the Alpha Primes. And the Primes paired great with the Hugo as well.

Two questions I didn't get to ask at the show - How far down does the bass go on the Alpha Primes vs the Alpha Dogs - and what cables were you using with the Alpha Dogs for the Liquid Crimson?
You should have talked to Dan. I left my Alpha Dogs with him & they were on the table hooked up to the CEntrance on the right. I tested side-by-side on Saturday afternoon.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #240 of 351
Hey Dan, 

Did you get to post the measurement comparison between all your headphones, especially AD vs ADP? (I think you mentioned you'd get to it, not sure if you did and I missed it, but browsing quickly, could not find anything).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back