Meet Alpha Prime
Oct 25, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #211 of 351
I let the Prime run in with sweep tones during the day yesterday, and also swapped out the stock cable for the Moon Audio Blue Dragon.

The Prime sounds overall quite neutral to my ears...I don't really hear anything would want to change. I don't hear a lot of sub-bass but most recordings don't have much to begin with, and I don't really expect a lot of it from that driver. I don't really care either, since everything else is as it should be. The sub-bass will probably show up on it's own when required. I'm just glad it's not of the forced variety.

The differences between the Prime and the Alpha (to my ears)? The Prime has a much more 3D-like image, it has better top-to-bottom height in that image...things are stacked with space around them. The AD seems more center-filled, and is also a bit boxy sounding after the Prime.

But again, I am very early in, and I think the Prime is one of those headphones that one has to "grow into" in order to fully appreciate what is does and has to offer. You are not going to hear your "$400 upgrade" right off the bat...I think it will show itself in long-term happiness

Stay tuned
smile.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #212 of 351
Beagle,

The prime bass has alot of weight to it and it is deep. It is a clean type of bass that you will have to acclimate to. The bass on the Prime is unique to me. It is not the slamming gritty type of bass that draws attention to itself.  Your ears will adjust to the new normal just by hearing only on the Prime straight for a few days. Then try your next favorite headphone on hand and you will realize that the bass presentation is in fact unique on the Prime. It is very clean and gives music quite a bit of weight to it. All my other headphones I have on hand the bass is muddy sounding. Next I noticed quite a bit of distortion in the midrange with my other headphones. You will not notice that until your ears and brain go through the acclimation process on the Prime. That is what I call the new "Normal." Good luck!
smile_phones.gif

P.S. It did not take me any time at all at the RMAF to make that decision. The soundstage is just super natural not exaggerated wide or deep. I said to myself at the time why on earth do I want a open headphone? I have the original T50RP at home and the Prime on my other hand. I had at the moment a bit of disbelief that they are generally based on the same driver that Fostex created in 2002. Well, I am still using vacuum tubes in my amps made in the late 40's  Take care!  

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #213 of 351
Beagle,

The prime bass has alot of weight to it and it is deep. It is a clean type of bass that you will have to acclimate to. The bass on the Prime is unique to me. It is not the slamming gritty type of bass that draws attention to itself.  Your ears will adjust to the new normal just by hearing only on the Prime straight for a few days. Then try your next favorite headphone on hand and you will realize that the bass presentation is in fact unique on the Prime. It is very clean and gives music quite a bit of weight to it. All my other headphones I have on hand the bass is muddy sounding. Next I noticed quite a bit of distortion in the midrange with my other headphones. You will not notice that until your ears and brain go through the acclimation process on the Prime. That is what I call the new "Normal." Good luck!:smile_phones:

P.S. It did not take me any time at all at the RMAF to make that decision. The soundstage is just super natural not exaggerated wide or deep. I said to myself at the time why on earth do I want a open headphone? I have the original T50RP at home and the Prime on my other hand. I had at the moment a bit of disbelief that they are generally based on the same driver that Fostex created in 2002. Well, I am still using vacuum tubes in my amps made in the late 40's  Take care!  

Thanks for your impressions, it is appreciated. I can not wait to send my Alpha Dog's in, for the upgrade.:)

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #214 of 351
Great comment on bass, John. You're not making the wait for the upgrade any easier!

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #215 of 351
  Beagle,

The prime bass has alot of weight to it and it is deep. It is a clean type of bass that you will have to acclimate to. The bass on the Prime is unique to me. It is not the slamming gritty type of bass that draws attention to itself.  Your ears will adjust to the new normal just by hearing only on the Prime straight for a few days. Then try your next favorite headphone on hand and you will realize that the bass presentation is in fact unique on the Prime. It is very clean and gives music quite a bit of weight to it. All my other headphones I have on hand the bass is muddy sounding. Next I noticed quite a bit of distortion in the midrange with my other headphones. You will not notice that until your ears and brain go through the acclimation process on the Prime. That is what I call the new "Normal." Good luck!
smile_phones.gif

Thank you for your comments. I do have the gut feeling that after I spend a week or two with the Prime, everything will have fallen into place, and when I go back to the Alpha Dog, it will no longer satisfy.

It has also been my experience that headphones that "WOW" right off the bat generally become tiring in the long run, whereas ones that I don't gravitate to right away, those generally sound the best over time and are the keepers.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #217 of 351
Thank you for your comments. I do have the gut feeling that after I spend a week or two with the Prime, everything will have fallen into place, and when I go back to the Alpha Dog, it will no longer satisfy.

It has also been my experience that headphones that "WOW" right off the bat generally become tiring in the long run, whereas ones that I don't gravitate to right away, those generally sound the best over time and are the keepers.

Funny that last paragraph, and oh so true!

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #218 of 351

I agree also: Your last paragraph here! It happens often with me.
Now, admittedly, some wow me out the gate and continue to do so (like the Prime - as it sounded, to me, far better than my Alpha Dogs).

And the cans are still breaking in and just becoming more transparent and airy as time passes!!

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #219 of 351

I think also the fact that the headphone has been hand-made with care and has had special attention directed towards each one, that gives confidence and you know that more sonic rewards are to be reaped gradually over time.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #220 of 351
I agree also: Your last paragraph here! It happens often with me.
Now, admittedly, some wow me out the gate and continue to do so (like the Prime - as it sounded, to me, far better than my Alpha Dogs).

And the cans are still breaking in and just becoming more transparent and airy as time passes!!

What kind of cable is that?

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #221 of 351

I think also the fact that the headphone has been hand-made with care and has had special attention directed towards each one, that gives confidence and you know that more sonic rewards are to be reaped gradually over time.

Yes, according to my product sheet that came with my Prime each Alpha Prime are individually hand-tuned by using the BlueMonkey Dots. Extras came with mine if I wanted a darker sounding presentation.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #222 of 351
Bass quality and quantity varies greatly from recording to recording.  A audio-designer friend of mine claims that "the bass control is the most important control in an audio system".   Likewise, bass response varies pretty dramatically from headphone to headphone.  Some headphones "play" more bass than is actually on the recording/coming out of the system, others less that what's 'there'.  

What's pretty rare is a headphone that gets it 'right,' i.e., a headphonel that will tell you what bass is actually on the recording- and it  (re)produce both the pitch articulation and the power behind the notes being played.    Headphones like the 800s and 701/702, and many electrostatics get the former right, but fail to varying degrees at the latter.   Basshead cans have the opposite effect.

The Primes seem to be in the small group that get both right - pitch and power, slam and articulation, and both are vital to me, at least, for real musical bliss.  

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #223 of 351
I believe I read similar observations with the Alpha Dogs.  In the end, for me they fell short in the impact department.  Otherwise, they were nearly perfect.  It remains to be heard if the Primes actually deliver the whole package.  Reviews and impressions notwithstanding...

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #224 of 351

This, and Dan stands helpfully behind his product.  I've had a couple of years (or more?) experience starting with the mad dog with dog pads version, and hitting every stop but the MD pros along the way as an owner, typically through upgrades.  I have always had a stellar experience dealing with Mr. Speakers.  (Major fanboy disclaimer....)

I believe I read similar observations with the Alpha Dogs.  In the end, for me they fell short in the impact department.  Otherwise, they were nearly perfect.  It remains to be heard if the Primes actually deliver the whole package.  Reviews and impressions notwithstanding...

It absolutely remains to be seen for each person.  Our tastes and ears are different.  I've found a home with Dan's preferred sound signature, so it is a no brainer for me.  @swspiers, I suspect you've been around long enough to have developed a decent interpretation of others comments, and can interpolate to your tastes, or get a chance to hear them and decide if they work for you.  I made the upgrade group - I am looking forward to the upgraded headphones, whenever they happen.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #225 of 351
Oh, I'm in the upgrade group as well. Just reserving the hyperbole until I hear them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back