MEElectronics M6 were a disaster! (short review)
Jun 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thefred

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 
I'd thought I'd share my moody opinion on these earphones.
There are lots of good reviews already about the design which I like very much, however I was quite appalled at the sound quality.

(Just some random info - I am a classical pianist/keyboard (15years) Djembe player (8 years) and currently studying sound engineering/orchestration.)

I usually wear my Sennheiser HD280 or AKG K141 at live recording/gigs/home and "on the go", and I wanted something lighter and less bulky.
The M6's were being reviewed by loads of people who were saying they were definitely value for money - sound quality included. I wasn't that interested in getting expensive custom UE's and also can't afford them yet, so I followed the dudes who said "buy them".

The sound of the M6's was like having the music played through a PVC tube from a megaphone, accompanied by a seriously loose low end that obstructed whatever highs had survived being squeezed through!

I tried them on multiple systems/music genres and unless I had a separate multi-band parametric EQ going, I was unable to bare them for longer than 10 seconds.

Would it be a better to get the Shure SE215 or SE315? I don't have millions to spend!

Where should I take it from here?

Cheers!
popcorn.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 21
Um yeah, the $100 Shures are better than the $10 M6s.  The M6 is designed to be cheap and decent sounding for the gym w/ workout type music attached to a cheap player w/ possible EQ.  Not critical listening of piano concertos or symphonic pieces.  I don't know what your expectations were or where they came from.

Your PVC pipe comment almost makes me think you have a bad fit too.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 21
I fully agree that from an absolute POV, the M6 sound crappy. However, they are very cheap, well-built, comfortable, and come with great accessories. It's all about what you want to spend and what you want to get in return.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Right. I suggest you play around with the included tips to see which one actually fits you. Make sure you loop the memory wire over the ear before putting in the earphones.

I was wearing them correctly and tried every type of tip that they came with and even bought the correct Comply Foam tips as well.

Jun 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
I was wearing them correctly and tried every type of tip that they came with and even bought the correct Comply Foam tips as well.

In that case, I don't know if you were expecting a K3003. If you're looking for other good budget iems for that kind of music, look into the Vsonic GR06, CKM500, or if you can spare the cash, a GR07.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

In that case, I don't know if you were expecting a K3003. If you're looking for other good budget iems for that kind of music, look into the Vsonic GR06, CKM500, or if you can spare the cash, a GR07.

What do you say about the Shure SE215 or SE315?
I want to be confident that I will be happy with my earphones. I'm not asking for the extreme - just a few pointers.
If the Shure's are worth the money, I have no issues going for them.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

I want to be confident that I will be happy with my earphones. I'm not asking for the extreme - just a few pointers.

What kind of "sound" are you looking for? But if you are looking for accracy, go for ER4.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 21
I use these for my phone at my desk at work with just one ear in, and when jogging. I listen to drum n bass, and generally and happy with them.

Not sure what is expected at this price point, it doesnt get much cheaper.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

If you want to pend that kind of money on the SE315, you may as well go for the Vsonic GR07 (or the newer GR07 MK2). It's better than the 315 in every way you can think of.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
What kind of "sound" are you looking for? But if you are looking for accracy, go for ER4.

Right, there seems to be quite a few options for the ER4 series.
I've read through the differences and I don't have a clue as to which one is more suitable.

I'm looking for pretty balanced sound overall - maybe a little more low end but thats not crucial. I'm dead scared of upper-mid harshness!
I don't want an absurd exaggerated tone coming through. I'm probably more paranoid now than ever before due to my bad experience so far.
My main listening period is often whilst travelling on the bus for 3 hours every other day. Noise Isolation and comfort are very important.
Genres are mainly classical music and trance/dubstep. (I'm not a total bass head.)

Tons of info here on Head-Fi and filtering through all the opinions isn't sending me in any particular direction.

The ER4's are quite pricey, are the HF5's in the same league? If not, I will start saving and take your advice and get the ER4's (when I understand which model is more suitable).

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

If you want to pend that kind of money on the SE315, you may as well go for the Vsonic GR07 (or the newer GR07 MK2). It's better than the 315 in every way you can think of.

Where can one purchase Genuine GR07 or the GR07MK2 ?
Can you refer me to where you have written about why the Vsonic's are better than the SE315's?

Cheers!

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Where can one purchase Genuine GR07 or the GR07MK2 ?
Can you refer me to where you have written about why the Vsonic's are better than the SE315's?

Cheers!

Here my friend. They are original MK II. Mine arrived yesterday,, it's all good.. Seven days total to my door from China to Australia using EMS shipping with tracking. You even get an included letter from the seller wishing yourself and the family the best. It's all good through this guy. It says standard postage but he will send them EMS Express.

I'm absolutely loving mine, and I've come from TF10 and Yamaha EPH-100.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110898125176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Here my friend. They are original MK II. Mine arrived yesterday,, it's all good.. Seven days total to my door from China to Australia using EMS shipping with tracking. You even get an included letter from the seller wishing yourself and the family the best. It's all good through this guy. It says standard postage but he will send them EMS Express.

I'm absolutely loving mine, and I've come from TF10 and Yamaha EPH-100.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110898125176?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back