MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
May 17, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,397 of 1,638
I'm really starting to notice the narrow soundstage on these things. On some songs its a nonissue, but on other songs, the music feels way too compressed and doesn't feel like it's encompassing me. "veiled" describes it well. Only on some songs. Not sure.

But I still love them. It's just weird.

May 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,398 of 1,638
Quote:
Got my pair, still getting used to the thick and lush bass. Really good headphones.

try using a silver cable. i used mundorf cable in my pair when i still have it and they sound great. controlled bass and it gives a more lively sound than the stock.

May 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,399 of 1,638
Quote:
I'm really starting to notice the narrow soundstage on these things. On some songs its a nonissue, but on other songs, the music feels way too compressed and doesn't feel like it's encompassing me. "veiled" describes it well. Only on some songs. Not sure.
But I still love them. It's just weird.

Generally, you'll find that with any pair of nicer headphones the differences in the quality of the recording / mastering are much more apparent. That's sadly a limitation that can't really be fixed.

May 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #1,400 of 1,638
I find Z1000 as very good headphones. The strongest aspect of their sound is high tones, never to hard and never to sparkling - perfectly smooth. Midrange is crystal clear. Low tones could be better, bas is shifted higher than it should be.

May 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #1,401 of 1,638
nice pics! The Z1000 almost looks better in the pictures than they do in real life, they're kindof understated :)

May 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #1,403 of 1,638
Both have this same sound signature but MDR-Z1000 have better low tones. Scene is wide in both but MDR-Z1000 have this scene deeper. Localisation of instruments is also better in new Sony headphones. I found MDR-Z1000 as "faster" also. Cups MDR-Z1000 are smaller than in MDR-7509HD but suprisingly comfortable! Build quality of MDR-Z1000 is superb, used materials are better then materials used in older MDR-7509HD.

PS. Now my father uses MDR-Z1000 and MDR-7509HD and he prefer MDR-Z1000 over MDR-7509HD. He is using them straight from iPad, iPod touch or through the Meier Swing.

May 23, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #1,404 of 1,638
Thanks for the reply. I guess one would hope that the Z1000 would be a bit better, as they are getting on for three times the (closing) price of the 7509HD's!

But they're obviously not worlds apart, so I think I'll continue to enjoy my 7509HD's.

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,406 of 1,638
So I ruled these headphones initially after owning them and using them for a short time a few months ago. Since then I have been trying to sell them to no avail. Since last night I have been using them with my trusty Aiwa PCDP and I'm starting to fall in love with these cans. I dont think I gave them a real fair chance because of the price tag and the fact that I wasn't initially wowed by them (especially when I was comparing them to the cheaper KRK KNS 8400). While I think they're both on par detail-wise there's just something that sounds so right with the Z1000. Tonality is definitely better, vocals sound very natural and everything just falls into place. While I sometimes wish there was a bit more PRaT the Z1000 still excels in a lot ways that other cans cannot. For example, the overall balance, cohesiveness, and the way the music engages you. I'm always aware of certain flaws in some headphones while listening (HD25's edgy treble and very narrow soundstage, M50's emphatic treble) and with the Z1000, I haven't really been analyzing anything except for how good the instruments sound along with the good separation/imaging.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #1,408 of 1,638
Quote:
Does anyone find the treble a bit peaky at times?

Yes, I do - but, that is normally a by product of bad amping - since getting this new amp of mine, they sound more linear than before, but still hideously unnatural when compared to the Q701s :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,409 of 1,638
Quote:
Does anyone find the treble a bit peaky at times?

Quote:
Yes, I do - but, that is normally a by product of bad amping - since getting this new amp of mine, they sound more linear than before, but still hideously unnatural when compared to the Q701s :frowning2:

I second Duncan on this as I had my Z1000's since January and have never had problems with what to me seems piercing treble at times, thought initially as it was a studio monitor (in theory) it was maybe been analytical with bad recordings but only had a Walkman Z to drive them, even though the volume room was plenty with a third left to go on the dial it was sounding a bit thin and un-dynamic with the treble issue been the most accentuated problem followed by a shallow low end than should be with some recordings. 

Unfortunately I have not had a desktop rig for a while now and been without a portable amp for a while so could not test my own theory it needed a better quality amp to add resolution and meat to the bones.

Recently acquired a TTVJ slim amp in the hope it would add that quality despite knowing this had enough gain to drive 300 ohm cans as opposed to the 24ohm Z1000's. 

I can safely say within one hour I knew the Sony cans was a different beast I had not heard in the six months prior which was lucky I got this amp when I did as was on the verge of letting them go but the sound had got a fuller sound with the spikey treble issue considerably reduced with a lot of tracks that showed symptoms, couple of tracks still show a hint of this but with the turnaround with this amp I do attribute them to maybe under engineered recordings. 

Bass also reaches lower with a better slam impact.
Also I found the Z during busy passages with a lot going on with some music could not quite keep up and get a bit messy not been able to pin point instruments as separation becomes more a case of congealed.  

With the slim amp this has greatly improved, not 100% perfect but to an acceptable point I can thoroughly enjoy music with the slim in the chain that I can now listen to the Z1000's for many hours no problem now - it's actually fun to listen to know rather than monitoring use with these.

Can only imagine it's full potential now with a high tier desktop amp & a dac?

All in all was a 11th hour reprieve for my Z1k's due to getting a capable amp.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #1,410 of 1,638
Quote:

I second Duncan on this as I had my Z1000's since January and have never had problems with what to me seems piercing treble at times, thought initially as it was a studio monitor (in theory) it was maybe been analytical with bad recordings but only had a Walkman Z to drive them, even though the volume room was plenty with a third left to go on the dial it was sounding a bit thin and un-dynamic with the treble issue been the most accentuated problem followed by a shallow low end than should be with some recordings. 

Unfortunately I have not had a desktop rig for a while now and been without a portable amp for a while so could not test my own theory it needed a better quality amp to add resolution and meat to the bones.

Recently acquired a TTVJ slim amp in the hope it would add that quality despite knowing this had enough gain to drive 300 ohm cans as opposed to the 24ohm Z1000's. 

I can safely say within one hour I knew the Sony cans was a different beast I had not heard in the six months prior which was lucky I got this amp when I did as was on the verge of letting them go but the sound had got a fuller sound with the spikey treble issue considerably reduced with a lot of tracks that showed symptoms, couple of tracks still show a hint of this but with the turnaround with this amp I do attribute them to maybe under engineered recordings. 

Bass also reaches lower with a better slam impact.
Also I found the Z during busy passages with a lot going on with some music could not quite keep up and get a bit messy not been able to pin point instruments as separation becomes more a case of congealed.  

With the slim amp this has greatly improved, not 100% perfect but to an acceptable point I can thoroughly enjoy music with the slim in the chain that I can now listen to the Z1000's for many hours no problem now - it's actually fun to listen to know rather than monitoring use with these.

Can only imagine it's full potential now with a high tier desktop amp & a dac?

All in all was a 11th hour reprieve for my Z1k's due to getting a capable amp.

Just goes to show (again) that a low ohm rating doesn't mean that you don't need an amp - especially a very low rating like 24ohm which presents more of a problem than a moderate rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back