MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Feb 17, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #1,291 of 1,638
Quote:
Just be aware that the Z1000's pads are actually kind of smallish for a circumaural headphone. In fact they're even slightly smaller than the Edition 8's I believe. As a result, some people with larger sized ears actually wear them on-ear rather than around the ear. They wont isolate very well if that's the case.

I find the Z1000 to be more versatile.

I didn't realize Z1000 has smaller pads than ED8. But Z1000 is more comfortable than ED8 because of light weight and cups have wider range of movement. ED8 doesn't get a good coverage/seal compared to Z1000 on my head.

Totally agree on versatility.

Anyone interested in getting a pair of mint ED8p, let me know
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #1,292 of 1,638
Quote:
Now that we're on the subject and I've already decided on em, we might as well talk about amping now.
I was wondering what amps you guys who own these would recommend. I'm new to these types of things and wouldn't really want to spend more than like 150-200 dollars. I was considering the E17 Fiio but I know absolutely nothing. I also don't know the difference between portable and desktop amps or dacs or whatever.

You don't need an amp. I don't find much difference using iPhone4 or Dacport. Made a bigger difference going lossless. So crap in crap out.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #1,293 of 1,638
I owned a pair untill i forgot them on a train (DUH).
For people sensitive to treble or for people looking for a very warm sounding headphone mdr-Z1000 isn't the headphone of choice.
What I enjoyed with the Z1000 was it's versatility. Boost the bass a little and you get punchy detailed bass perfect for electronic music. Leave it flat, and get a clean detailed headphone with amazing voice reproduction. Small details from the sound reflecting in the room, aquistic guitar and the like pops out at you.

The soundstage isn't great, and the sound isn't as airy as open cans. But that is what you get with closed cans. 

I will get a new pair when finances allow for it (poor student), the are perfect for me: great build quality, incredibly detailed, easily driven from portable sources, comfortable, versatile, closed. Did I mention the build quality of these puppies?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #1,294 of 1,638

Quote:
I owned a pair untill i forgot them on a train (DUH).
For people sensitive to treble or for people looking for a very warm sounding headphone mdr-Z1000 isn't the headphone of choice.
What I enjoyed with the Z1000 was it's versatility. Boost the bass a little and you get punchy detailed bass perfect for electronic music. Leave it flat, and get a clean detailed headphone with amazing voice reproduction. Small details from the sound reflecting in the room, aquistic guitar and the like pops out at you.

The soundstage isn't great, and the sound isn't as airy as open cans. But that is what you get with closed cans. 

I will get a new pair when finances allow for it (poor student), the are perfect for me: great build quality, incredibly detailed, easily driven from portable sources, comfortable, versatile, closed. Did I mention the build quality of these puppies?

You should check out the fidelio l1, the V Moda M100 and the Focal Spirit One, they should be available soonish. That said, I have a Z1000 too, they are a delight!

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #1,295 of 1,638
I've been enjoying the Fidelio L1 quite a bit, and I've done some comparison between it and the Z1000. FWIW, I don't find the L1 to be necessarily more "open" sounding than the Z1000. The L1 has a bit more depth to its soundstage, but the Z1000 is wider (but flatter). More like a hallway versus a movie screen.

To my ears neither is a clear victor. Both have a comparable bass presence to my ears. Aside from that, both have their respective strengths and weaknesses.

You can buy the L1 in the USA now, btw. It's available from the Apple Store. According to Philips it will be available at other retailers in mid March.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #1,296 of 1,638
This is interesting, in the L1 thread a couple people thought the L1 had fatiguing bass. I'm looking at the Z1000 and L1 for an upcoming purchase, and the Signature Pro down the line. How do the Z1000 and L1 sound compared to the Ed8 and SRH940 (headphones I have owned)?

Quote:
I've been enjoying the Fidelio L1 quite a bit, and I've done some comparison between it and the Z1000. FWIW, I don't find the L1 to be necessarily more "open" sounding than the Z1000. The L1 has a bit more depth to its soundstage, but the Z1000 is wider (but flatter). More like a hallway versus a movie screen.

To my ears neither is a clear victor. Both have a comparable bass presence to my ears. Aside from that, both have their respective strengths and weaknesses.

You can buy the L1 in the USA now, btw. It's available from the Apple Store. According to Philips it will be available at other retailers in mid March.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #1,297 of 1,638
I'm curious: has anyone ever tried blocking the ports on their pair of Z1000s? I tried sticking some blu-tac in them. I'm hearing some differences (not necessarily positive ones), but because I don't want to prime anyone as to what they will be hearing. I'm curious if anyone else wants to try it and give their own opinion...

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,301 of 1,638

Quote:
I just ordered my Z1000s the other day. When I get them I'll post some basic impressions. I am a noob but I might as well. I'll be comparing them against the Senn HD555 w/ Foam mod in terms of sound, leakage, and comfort.

Exciting times. Can't wait to hear your impressions :3

Feb 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,303 of 1,638
recently thinking of finding some valour earpads for this.. do beyer dt250 earpads match with this?

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,305 of 1,638
Quote:
Thanks. I'm also about to be very curious about the details of the phones... do they need burn in, do they need amp/dac, which amp/dac do they pair with, etc.

Burn in: not really, but the pads are a bit uncomfortable at first, they soften time and use.
Amp: very sensitive for a full sized headphone, don't need a lot of power.
DAC: whatever, up to your preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back