MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 12, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #1,218 of 1,638

Quote:
I think these headphones pair well with most genres. They definitely have an edge with bassier, beat-oriented music as the bottom end is nice and robust. That makes them very good for gaming. Also they're detailed and have a nice ambience / atmosphere and decent sized soundstage.

The rest of the frequency response is nice too imo, and it never sounds "bad" with any genre unlike, say, the K550 I recently purchased. If you won these headphones for free, I think it's worth keeping them personally. The amount you'd get for them by selling them here wouldn't be enough to buy anything that would be a "step up" in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I will consider your opinion.

What I'm thinking is try to sell the Z1000 for 300€ ( i didn't opened the box yet), and then buy the Plantronics Gamecom 777 or Steelseries Siberia V2.
Tthe Plantronics 777 I can buy it for only 40£, is a great bargain.

I read a few reviews and all say that they are good for gaming.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #1,219 of 1,638

Quote:

What I'm thinking is try to sell the Z1000 for 300€ ( i didn't opened the box yet), and then buy the Plantronics Gamecom 777 or Steelseries Siberia V2.

I am looking to buy one though. Lol.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,220 of 1,638

Quote:

Not familiar with either of those, but the good thing about the Z1000 is that it's good with gaming and it'll sound beautiful with your music too. If later down the road you want to upgrade your music setup with a better DAC or amplifier, the Z1000 will scale well. It's also built very solidly.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #1,221 of 1,638
Quote:

So sad, it's like getting an Audi and immediately exchanging it for a cheap Fiat without even test driving the car. To me the Z1000 sounds fabulous, it's so far above any gaming headset that comparing the two is kind of pointless when it comes to good sound.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #1,222 of 1,638
The pads are soft but my ears push against the grill whenever I put them on and this causes alot of discomfort after an hour. Are there headphones with similar sound quality as the z1000 but more comfort?

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #1,223 of 1,638
Are you sure the cup are oriented in their optimal position? Turn them clockwise or counterclockwise by 10 degree.
If that doesn't still work
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #1,224 of 1,638
Hmm am I correct to say that Z1000 is the one with extra bass while 7520 is the professional studio monitoring one with no bass bump?

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,225 of 1,638
I'll try turning the cups when I get back home, thanks

EDIT: Just got home and tried adjusting the cup a bit - it seems to be a bit more comfortable but I still can only wear them for 2-3 hours before my ears really start to hurt =/

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,226 of 1,638
I know these are listed as supra aural but I have heard the pad still comfortably fits all the way around the outside of the ear (circum aural).

Is this true for everyone?

Also, how is the isolation in both directions?  I need a headphone that doesn't leak to potentially replace my current portable (SRH-940)

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,227 of 1,638

Quote:
I know these are listed as supra aural but I have heard the pad still comfortably fits all the way around the outside of the ear (circum aural).

Also, how is the isolation in both directions?  I need a headphone that doesn't leak to potentially replace my current portable (SRH-940)

Yes, they are circumaural however the ear cups are not very big compared to other headphones such as the denon ahd2000 and the ultrasone pro 900.

Isolation is good both ways but not as good as noise cancelling headphones. If you have music playing at medium volume you won't be able to hear people talking to you and people won't hear you.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #1,228 of 1,638

Quote:
Yes, they are circumaural however the ear cups are not very big compared to other headphones such as the denon ahd2000 and the ultrasone pro 900.

Isolation is good both ways but not as good as noise cancelling headphones. If you have music playing at medium volume you won't be able to hear people talking to you and people won't hear you.

Great to know...

They're looking more and more like winners

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,229 of 1,638

Quote:
Sony know how to make some of the best headphones available (R10, Qualia), if they really put an effort in this model it could be REALLY good.

Ah....the days of the R10 and the Qualia 010 - but to dream.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #1,230 of 1,638

Quote:

They are some of the smallest circumaural pads I've ever encountered, barely covering my ears completely. They're smaller than even the Edition 8's. I think if you have larger ears they could actually end up being on-ear. My brother for instance can't wear them circumaurally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back