MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jun 25, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #946 of 1,638

Quote:
Heh, well said. I don't mind if I offend anyone, they really are what you described, only correction being "compared to anything". :)

Poor people who actually buy them thinking they're any good. :frowning2:

On another note, I'm still interested in trying the Sony's out, damn!

Oh, by the way. How does your Voyager mate with the Z1000s? Doesn't kill them too much?

Come on now. Not all poor people have the same taste . I am for one considered my self had a pair of golden ears during my life span before turning 50 something. Now they are more like copper ears.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #947 of 1,638
He didn't mean "poor" people, but "pity" on those who buy the P5 expecting them to be any good [versus anything else close to their price point or less].
I heard them locally, I would expect far more as well given their price tag.  =\

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #948 of 1,638

Quote:
He didn't mean "poor" people, but "pity" on those who buy the P5 expecting them to be any good [versus anything else close to their price point or less].
I heard them locally, I would expect far more as well given their price tag.  =\

I am not really a Sony fan from TV to ARV...HPs probably not either.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #949 of 1,638
I am not really a Sony fan from TV to ARV...HPs probably not either.

I'm not particularily either, neither am I prejudiced though..

I don't claim to have golden ears. I simply want to hear the music with as much of its content intact as possible. This makes the approach to audiophilia much more concrete. I couldn't give two flying poopeys doing comparisons between amps and trying to determine which has better high frequency extension, or so on...

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #951 of 1,638
Sony is aiming quite a bit lower than the Qualia market this time around. The measurements look good - I'm actually happy that they are focusing on profitability and a sustainable business model.

Success with the MDR-Z1000 could lead to a revival of the MDR-R10 type of development in the future. They've certainly proven that with their new SS-AR1 loudspeakers. Renaming your headphones "HD" doesn't cut it with us...

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #952 of 1,638

Quote:
Sony is aiming quite a bit lower than the Qualia market this time around. The measurements look good - I'm actually happy that they are focusing on profitability and a sustainable business model.

Success with the MDR-Z1000 could lead to a revival of the MDR-R10 type of development in the future. They've certainly proven that with their new SS-AR1 loudspeakers. Renaming your headphones "HD" doesn't cut it with us...

7509HD ain't so bad... after heavily modding it, lol.

Jul 3, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #955 of 1,638
B&H, JR, and many others has it in-stock.  I ordered from Amazon because they had it for $445 delivered, but it's not in-stock until late July.  I can wait because I have the Sony MDR-7520 to play with.  It's almost the same as MDR-Z1000, just a Pro version.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #956 of 1,638

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to slander. I have the voyager myself and it's a proper little amp, minus the contour-switch for me (doesn't bode well with anything but sub-par earbuds, from what I've tried). As you said it makes everything "zingy" and sound distorted... 

The reason I asked was because I see portable amps, at least when drawing a conclusion from the ones I've tried, as something that's not necessarily optimal for the signal. Nearly all phones that draw sufficient power from my ipod classic's headphone out with full volume, sound better that way. Of course if the phone's power hungry it needs an amp, but I'd not use it had I the chance. My current K272's need a bit more power so I'm using the voyager. Every portable amp seems to, I dunno, soften the transients a bit which makes some more complex music more difficult to follow. Not drastically though.
So that's why I asked whether you hear the Voyager as a bottle neck or an improvement for the Z1000s over your already excellent Sony portable player, which has to my understanding, as many other sony players, including two I've tried, good power reserves. 

Interesting though. I will have to take your comments with a grain of salt. Contrary to the popular belief and preferences of head-fi members, I've come to see "anemic" as a good thing perhaps. I don't mind slam and coloration, but they're merely secondary bonuses to what should be, by premise, accurate music reproduction. It's impossible to tell from what people describe here as to whether something really is the way they hear it is, so I reserve judgment and try to grasp all the adjectives that refer to something that I consider "accurate". Still, I have to hear it first before I can actually say anything :)

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

electropop...

That grain of salt, I will add something to it...  Having now got the ATH-ESW9A, I can tell you that I agree, the Voyager sounds great, without the need of the contour switch...

...However, it still doesn't sound 'great' with either Sony, which I am putting down to the Sony's being hard to drive...

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #957 of 1,638
I have a walkman X1061, and my Z1000's are here, waiting, I am not going to use them until the Triad Audio L3 arrives, I already have a special LOD that keeps the L-,L+, R-,R+ separate right up to the RCAs in the L3 (The LOD was made for my LISA III XP) I'm working on another LOD for my Idevices.
Until then my Z1000's sit here...I did pick up the MDR V6's damn decent cans for $60

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #958 of 1,638
I bought the Z1000's as a replacement for my beloved CD3000's that I had to sell because I had them recabled for balanced dual 3-pin XLR connections and no longer had a balanced amp. I need a good closed headphone for late night listening and the Z1000 seemed an interesting choice for less money than the Beyer T5p. Fit and finish are great. I'm still adjusting to the sound but like what I hear. They don't have the wide soundstage of the CD3000 but everything else I liked about the CD3000 remains. The nicest thing I like about the Z1000's is they don't look so stupid on my head as the CD3000's did. My kids would break out laughing every time I was caught listening to the CD3000's calling them my ugly ear muffs.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #959 of 1,638
Quote:
I bought the Z1000's as a replacement for my beloved CD3000's that I had to sell because I had them recabled for balanced dual 3-pin XLR connections and no longer had a balanced amp. I need a good closed headphone for late night listening and the Z1000 seemed an interesting choice for less money than the Beyer T5p. Fit and finish are great. I'm still adjusting to the sound but like what I hear. They don't have the wide soundstage of the CD3000 but everything else I liked about the CD3000 remains. The nicest thing I like about the Z1000's is they don't look so stupid on my head as the CD3000's did. My kids would break out laughing every time I was caught listening to the CD3000's calling them my ugly ear muffs.

Balanced cable? Need to purchase new headphones rather than an adapter... that's Head-Fi reasoning right there :)

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #960 of 1,638

Quote:
Balanced cable? Need to purchase new headphones rather than an adapter... that's Head-Fi reasoning right there :)

It was more than just the cable. Although a good dual 3-pin XLR to 1/4" headphone adapter from Moon Audio isn't real cheap (unless I made one). I also worried some about repair since the CD3000 replacement drivers are unavailable.

Has anyone received a pair through Provantage yet at the $306 price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back