MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Nov 29, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #421 of 1,638
Holy lawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd.

13 new posts and they are are speculation on the damned earpads?

*facepalm*

For you you "pleather sucks" people : suck it up. It is not like leather itself does not get hot or uncomfortable either. Sheeeeesh.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #422 of 1,638

Quote:

*facepalm*

For you you "pleather sucks" people : suck it up. It is not like leather itself does not get hot or uncomfortable either. Sheeeeesh.

Why aren't there pads made from pigskin? Consider the football: it is covered in pigskin, it feels great, and it only cost $20. 

Or if they're going to call it luxurious, how about some mink fur lining?

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #424 of 1,638
Quote:
*facepalm*

x2. really folks, you've aired your complaints. it'd be far more interesting now to hear reports from folks who've spent some time listening to them. how do they sound? how do they feel? how do they stack up against other cans? what does it take to run them and what works well or poorly driving them?

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #425 of 1,638
Could any Z1000-owners do a pad comparison with HD650, DT880, and/or K701?

I'm particularly interested in firmness, texture, visual appeal, and level of friction.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #427 of 1,638

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perhaps it's because they're not made from Alcantara.

They are:

Quote:
Headband and Mountings (from Amazon.com)

The headband consists of a sandwich design in which a metal layer is covered with several layers of plastic. The high-tech plastic possesses incredible attenuation characteristics and ensures that oscillations are not transmitted to the headphone mountings.

The headphones of the HD 800 are only mounted on one side, to make sure they fit optimally over the ear. The relocation of their point of balance towards the back of the head also enhances comfort for the wearer.

A special kind of Japanese Alcantara has been selected for the ear pads. This material is extremely comfortable to wear and easy to maintain. Leona, an ultra-light, high-rigidity special plastic, is as hard as titanium and thus yielding extremely low oscillation. Hi-tech stainless steel mesh--the ideal material for three-dimensional sound--combines all the properties of stainless steel with an incredible degree of transparency.

They are not Alcantara.  They are a microfiber.  Sennheiser initially planned to make them Alcantara and couldn't source the material for a feasible price.  Amazon's description is old and inaccurate.  This information is already almost a year old.  I'm surprised to see Amazon so out of date with regards to the specs.

Take a look at the Sennheiser website itself:  http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_audiophile-headphones_500319

"The ear pads are handcrafted from a high-quality microfiber fabric. This material is extremely comfortable to wear and easy to maintain."

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #428 of 1,638
It's not as if our talking about pleather is somehow preventing the legitimate impressions from being aired. These headphones have just come out on the market in Japan, so such impressions aren't going to be abundant right now. I'm sure we'd all like to hear more about how these sound. I'm fairly confident when another head-fier listens to these they'll be inspired enough to share their thoughts on the matter. I myself will be sharing my impressions later this week if my delivery of the Z1000 arrives in time to permit me.

Until then, what harm is there in talking about pleather? I've seen far more banal things being volleyed about in other threads.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #430 of 1,638
I'm keen to hear your comments, MuppetFace.  I'd be especially interested in what you think versus the Edition 8.  My time with them was limited, so more data from people like you with a lot of good reference points would be valuable.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #431 of 1,638

Quote:
I'm keen to hear your comments, MuppetFace.  I'd be especially interested in what you think versus the Edition 8.  My time with them was limited, so more data from people like you with a lot of good reference points would be valuable.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do some detailed comparisons over the next two weeks before I have to give them back to my brother. If I enjoy them enough I may just have a pair of my own to spend more time with afterward.

My early first impressions will be up by the end of tomorrow, along with my usual unboxing photos.

Nov 30, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #433 of 1,638

Quote:

Why aren't there pads made from pigskin? Consider the football: it is covered in pigskin, it feels great, and it only cost $20. 

I agree, and what about snake or alligator skin on the outside?  or a russian hat on top?

I think the mink fur lining around the pads (like the typical design on a jacket around the hood) would look awesome.  I'm tired of all this plastic and pleather at high prices as much as a motorbike.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #434 of 1,638

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, and what about snake or alligator skin on the outside?  or a russian hat on top?

I think the mink fur lining around the pads (like the typical design on a jacket around the hood) would look awesome.  I'm tired of all this plastic and pleather at high prices as much as a motorbike.

I've actually tried to get custom headphones build with snakeskin on the outer ear cups. I love reptiles and keep them now and then as a hobby. The problem with reptile skin however is that it's too tough to stretch and pull like cowhide. Whereas cowhide can be pulled over wood ear cups, snakeskin would have to be directly applied without being stretched, and that wouldn't work well. The only alternative is unfortunately scale-patterned leather like Phiaton uses, which isn't anything like scales aesthetically or texturally.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #435 of 1,638

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I've actually tried to get custom headphones build with snakeskin on the outer ear cups. I love reptiles and keep them now and then as a hobby. The problem with reptile skin however is that it's too tough to stretch and pull like cowhide. Whereas cowhide can be pulled over wood ear cups, snakeskin would have to be directly applied without being stretched, and that wouldn't work well. The only alternative is unfortunately scale-patterned leather like Phiaton uses, which isn't anything like scales aesthetically or texturally.

I suppose you could always convince a snake that your headphones were worth eating, then kill them once they had devoured them whole. And voila, form fitting snakeskin earpads!

On that note I don't think if you really loved reptiles you would not want to wear dead ones on your head. But who am I to tell you how to express your affection... (Just please don't ever love me :O ! haha)

Has anyone tried the Z1000 with Wookie or Ewok ear pads? I hear once you get past the longish hair they truly are comfortable - never too toasty. Some sort of "shaggy" carpet for the head. I tried to get some Ewok pads for my D7000, but it would seem the last known village was slaughtered for some other head-fiers and they have since become collectors items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back