Mayberry's Trippin Balls: Fairfax, CA cross-coastal meet.
Feb 8, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #196 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and alcoholing... wait is that a gerund?

nope, a present participle, though I would cite Huddleston & Pullum and call it a gerund-participle, due to the "blurred" distinction between nominal and adjectival use in this case.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #199 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what my daughter said, so it must be true.

when in doubt, ask the nerdy Classics majors
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #200 of 246
[size=small]Impressions…..[/size]

[size=small]Well I was not really there to run around and listen to everyone’s systems. I was one a mission (in some ways). [/size]

[size=small]L3000 hunt: After many got to play with the leatherheads, I took them around and plugged them into most major amps in the place with my CD in hand. The greatest sound…. Well it was of course the monster Frank amp that we can’t own…. The GM70’s and the blue glowing tubes created a soundstage and depth of music and tone that was unrivaled in my ear. But the others that had a lot of fun with were the Guzz - Single Power Extreme Platinum, and the Eddie Current Balancing Act. If I were pushed for one I would pick the EC. The SP had lots of slam and impact. But the Balancing Act has more options and the sound was a little more neutral and detailed. [/size]

[size=small]The HD2 and ZD did not seem to have the control over the L3000 that I would look for. Al’s Monster SDS just didn’t have the right tube set. It sounded off. I know that it could push the L3000’s, but it was not setup for them that day. [/size]

[size=small]Electro research: I was able to listen to the O2mk1 (mine), O2mk2, 4070, HE60, HE90, he1.2 all out of my ES-1…. So it was a pretty good run. [/size]

[size=small]Mk2 vs. Mk1. They are slightly different, but I don’t think that the Mk2 was broke in at this point. I had a simple question to ask. Do I need to replace my MK1 for the MK2?? … Nope. There are some slight differences, but I don’t see it as an upgrade path, just the new release in the series. If I was buying today, I would get the Mk2’s, but since I have the Mk1’s… I am happy.[/size]

[size=small]4070…. I liked them for what they were, an enclosed very forward Electrostatic. High level of detail was all there. They had a larger Bass impact than the standard O2. Another question to answer, Do I need these? Maybe… If I didn’t come across the 1.2, I might have them on order at this point. Future will tell…. Anyone selling one?[/size]

[size=small]HE60 and the he1.2. I really liked the first listen to the 1.2. So much so that I have ordered a pair. Going back and forth with them and the he60. I liked the 1.2’s better every time I put them on. The soundstage, tone and detail seemed to be all there in spades with the 1.2’s. Will the 1.2’s become my new standard? I am not sure. The O2’s are so good, that I don’t see them going anywhere. Long term listening will tell the tale. [/size]

[size=small]He90… they sound good…[/size]

[size=small]More later…… [/size]

[size=small]Cheers,[/size]

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #201 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZD did not seem to have the control over the L3000 that I would look for

great impressions! I'm a bit surprised by the above, but I've only listened to this combination in meet conditions. Surprisingly enough, this was an excellent classical combination (orchestral and female vocals) ...

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #202 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope, a present participle, though I would cite Huddleston & Pullum and call it a gerund-participle, due to the "blurred" distinction between nominal and adjectival use in this case.

Wow! You're a smart, mo-fo (derived from... ahh, never mind). But seriously, this is good stuff (to borrow a phrase).

Feb 9, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #203 of 246
The R-10's and the ZD have a great synergy. Especially with a good pair of tubes under the hood.

mikeymad, (mickeymaid
biggrin.gif
...private joke) did you get a chance to try the Leatherheads with the Woo Audio 5 and a pair of matched WE 300b's? Those 300's make most headphones sing.

Feb 9, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #204 of 246
I will have to give it a try.....
tongue.gif

Cheers,

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #205 of 246
[size=small]The rest of the story...[/size]

[size=small]Playing with K1000's. I was able to try a bunch of K1000's and different amps. As always the foo_me 300B amp pushing the grill-less K1000's was the best to my ears. The 'naked' K1000 was a little too bright to me. It makes my fully grilled ones seem a little muffled. The Red Wine amp was very good as well. Also the Frank gm70 amp made the K1000's play great music all the way around. Still not sure if the K1000's will stay in my long term system. But the way that they can play orchestral music is beyond most systems. [/size]

[size=small]Other stuff: [/size]
[size=small]I played with the beta22 and really liked it matched with the Edition9's. It is the first time that I really liked the Ed9's. This amp really makes me think about getting one for a full balanced system. [/size]

[size=small]I played with the Pico being fed by my Creative Zen Vision M and pushing the L3000's. I would say that it sounded good, but slightly thin in this combo. I did like the overall presentation. I am not really in the market, but it was good. I use my Grado woodblock amp for walking around does nice. [/size]

[size=small]It was nice to listen to (for a little bit) Neil's Monster system. It really is a pinnacle of reproduction. I got to hear the R2R on it for a bit. And it really is another level. But then again it is analog, what we are all trying to get to in the first place.[/size]

[size=small]Oh and a great big thanks to Al for letting me borrow some 6sn7, this turned around my opinion of the greatness of the wa5. I was not very happy before, and I am much happier now. I am getting close to buying some new tubes to support the WE 300B’s…..[/size]

[size=small]I must have listened to some other stuff but it is not standing out in my brain…..[/size]

[size=small]Good beverage, good people, good food. Good times……[/size]

[size=small]Cheers all.[/size]

Feb 9, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #206 of 246
^^ so what's your favorite amp then (in production) for the L3000 and do you prefer solid state or tube with them or does it not matter. also, have you heard them balanced. thoughts there.

Feb 9, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #207 of 246
So imagine this scenario........knock knock. Hi Al, hows it goin? Hey Amphead what brings you back again? The shows been over for several days you know.

I know, this is just a pleasant flashback from Mayberry on Acid. I'm not reaaally here. :wink:

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #208 of 246
If anyone comes across an Enigma Audio Senn cable, let me know. Al, I am pretty sure I had it the Sunday night so it could be at the house. It also could be here somewhere but I haven't seen it since I've been back so I am continuing to look.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #209 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ so what's your favorite amp then (in production) for the L3000 and do you prefer solid state or tube with them or does it not matter. also, have you heard them balanced. thoughts there.

At the show the two best were tube. EC balancing Act and SP Extreme Plat.. I have only heard it with one SS (apogee mini-dac) and it sounded great. I am working on trying out a Rudistor rpx-100 which should give it a good test. I have run it with my WA6(max) and WA5, and the L3000's have not been the best through those with their current tube lineup.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back