Mayberry's Trippin Balls: Fairfax, CA cross-coastal meet.
Feb 7, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #166 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used them about 2.5 hours straight while the others were all off snoring. I have no complaints whatsoever about comfort. To get a seal, the headband had to be positioned somewhat oddly, much like the SA5000 headband, to the rear of the top of the head (though perhaps this was a figment of my head-shape). There certainly was no Sennheiser-like vice grip. The wearing feel is quite similar to the SR404 or other Lambdas, though the pads are softer/squishier and the headband adapts more precisely (Omega-II style).

I think that's a pretty good description. There is a bit of awkwardness as Peter has described in terms of getting them positioned properly when you first start your listening session. It is actually quite similar to what you would experience when trying to get a proper seal with the SA5000 or Qualia 010. There is that same tendency with the 4070 for the upper inner corners of the pads (i.e., by your eye sockets) to want to "lift" away from your face. The difference is that with the 4070, this really isn't much of an issue since the pads are squishy enough to create a proper buffer.

The pads actually feel a bit moist/tactile in the sense that they will sort of 'grip' to your skin and stay in place. With the SA5000 and especially the Qualia 010, the pads add a further layer of aggravation to the headband positioning issue, whereas with the 4070, the pads essentially solve the problem altogether (at least for my big noggin).

Once they're in place, I can sit for a couple of hours with them on and have no comfort issues at all. They're kind of on the heavy side as compared to most headphones but they look a lot heavier than they actually are. I can't say that I've ever listened to them for two and a half hours straight, but I often listen to two CDs at a time, so I guess that's about one and a half hours.

They're now right up there with the HE90, R10 and K1000 in terms of my "heavy rotation" cans. It remains to be seen how long that will be the case.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #167 of 246
Quote:

This rig is mine, and maybe you heard Chinese singers but I had track 2 of this disk playing the entire time...

It sounded verrry good Al and I forgot to mention it on my first post. Come to think of it, I heard a Radiohead CD on your system and also on MikeyMads 300B system.........awesome! Where I heard those Chinese vocals is anybodies guess. Bartender another bourbon double please. :wink:

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #168 of 246
Many thanks to Voltron for hosting this meet, throwing a great party, and graciously welcoming us into his home. I truly had a wonderful time and hope to attend more such events in the future.

I’ve never experienced so much great equipment in one place before. I got extended listening sessions with the Stax Omega Grado HP-1s, Sennheiser Orpheus, Audio Technica L-2000s and many K-1000 rigs. Neil’s custom $30K digital/electrostatic system is the finest digital I’ve ever heard. Yet, “Ironbut’s” reel-to-reel tape system is simply the finest source set-up I’ve every heard—period, blowing away even top-flight vinyl set-ups. Its meticulously mastered 15” per second tapes sets a benchmark for all other sources to aspire to.

The reception that my DIY GM-70-based K-1000 amp that’s shown in many photos here received was very encouraging and has inspired me to build a couple more. This amp has been nearly a year in development, and two days before the meet I was still tweaking on it. It survived a bumpy 350-mile ride in the back of a pick-up truck, enduring a couple days of rainstorms in a leaky plywood crate. I fully expected some sort of electrical problems when I fired it up. Fortunately, the audio gods smiled and it made it through the whole meet without burning Al’s house down.

The equipment was awesome, but the best part was meeting, interacting and learning from a wonderful group of fellow headphone enthusiasts.

Once again, thanks to Al and the rest of the party crew for a great time!

Frank

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #169 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Oh, and this pic, I know Gene is probably laughing in this pic, but the moment it captures looks like he's in pain or something.

Would make for a great official "FAIL" meme pic for Head-Fi.
wink.gif

-Ed

Ed ... That pic (which I can't bear to repeat here) clearly captured my anguish after my beloved Pats lost to Aaron's Giants in what Al has labled the Stupor Bowl.

Unfortunately for me, the adjective, Stupor, also described my state of being that evening after way too many beers. Just ask Iron Dreamer ...
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #172 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I would love to see that in person. Sweet, toxic, and beautiful. We don't need no stinkin' ROHS!!!!
tongue.gif

Oh, and this pic, I know Gene is probably laughing in this pic, but the moment it captures looks like he's in pain or something.

dsc0576va5.jpg

Would make for a great official "FAIL" meme pic for Head-Fi.
wink.gif

-Ed

I can gaurantee you there was no pain in that frame. Gene had just said something hilarious that cracked up the entire room (really wish I could remember what). Thrice was literally in ROFL mode just out of frame to the left. Too bad that wasn't captured.

On another imaginary note though, it kind of looks like Johnny Blossoms has mind controlled the flowers to attack Gene.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #173 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by pingong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who is it, must be a female?

It's Radiohead. Male but sings falsetto a lot. I still must hypothesize that the Chinese singer was just a voice in your head.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #174 of 246
Greetings to all the headfiers who atended the meet from your brothers in Santiago de Compostela. Specially to those who toasted for the "sisterhood" of our two head-fi meets. Nice touch, guys.

Wow, Voltron, I have just readed the impressions thread. I have been very busy this week and could not visit Head-Fi before. What a wonderful meet you had! One of the best I have seen in this forum
smily_headphones1.gif
. I liked specially the merry atmosphere of the pictures. It seems the meet was more a party than a formal meet. By the way, your home looks fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

About the food, well, I do not know...
smily_headphones1.gif
But certainly you had enough to drink, and this is what matters
smily_headphones1.gif
. The beer keg is a marvelous idea. Pity that our local beer is not very good.
You may not believe it, but I had a bottle of Santiago Ruiz this past weekend. This is a strange coincidence, because I am not a big lover of albariño wines and I do not usually drink them. They are recognized among the best whites wines in the world, but I have my particular tastes and prefer godello. Anyway, I loved it and I am sure that I will repeat again soon. It is an amazing wine to drink with seafood or fish. I am amazed that this wine reached San Francisco. It does not have a big production and the demand is high. Great pick, ronin74!

Bodega Santiago Ruiz

A question: how many days lasted the meet? 3 days? It was more a vacation than a meet XDXD. I love it. Maybe we should adopt your model... We are still growing, but wait and see!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #175 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question: how many days lasted the meet? 3 days? It was more a vacation than a meet XDXD. I love it. Maybe we should adopt your model... We are still growing, but wait and see!
smily_headphones1.gif

There were 6 of us who arrived at Voltron's place on Thursday night and stayed till Monday morning. Guzziguy also arrived Friday and stuck out the whole weekend, and Iron Dreamer stayed over after the meet until Sunday night. That's probably 25% of the attendees who were present for more than just meet day.

The meet itself was also the longest I've seen so far. Usually it's 10 AM until dinner time but this crew just kept on going. With sustenance from some afternoon pizzas and Thrice's eggs & bacon for dinner, we made it to well past midnight.

Agreed, vacation meets are the best.

Interesting comparison for you Carlos, the 4 of us who flew from Florida and the 1 from North Carolina each came from roughly 2500 miles (4000 km) in a straight line. A similar line for you could bring people from Jerusalem, Moscow, and Nigeria.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #177 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
¡Salud!

Greeting to all the headfiers who atended the meet, specially to the toasters. Nice touch, guys.

Wow, Voltron, I have just readed the impressions thread. I have been very busy this week and could not visit Head-Fi before. What a wonderful meet you had! One of the best I have seen in this forum
smily_headphones1.gif
. I liked specially the merry atmosphere of the pictures. It seems the meet was more a party than a formal meet. By the way, your home looks fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

About the food, well, I do not know...
smily_headphones1.gif
But certainly you had enough to drink, and this is what matters
smily_headphones1.gif
. The beer keg is a marvelous idea. Pity that our local beer is not very good.

You would not believe it, but I had a bottle of Santiago Ruiz this past weekend. This is a strange coincidence, because I am not a big lover of albariño wines and I do not usually drink them. They are recognized among the best whites wines in the world, but I have my particular tastes and prefer godello. Anyway, I loved it and I am sure that I will repeat again soon. It is an amazing wine to drink with seafood or fish. I am amazed that this wine reached San Francisco. It does not have a big production and the demand is high. Great pick, ronin74!

Bodega Santiago Ruiz

smily_headphones1.gif

Carlos-

The Santiago Ruiz is just another great coincidence among many that created our sister-city connection! Yes, ronin74 has great sources and great taste, and we enjoyed his selections very much. There were a few bottles of California wine as well given that the meet wore on until midnight or later. As for the party atmosphere, that was my exact hope in collecting together the group of people who attended, and it worked! We had about 10 people staying for the long weekend from Thursday until Sunday/Monday morning, but the meet portion itself was all day and night Saturday. We have had many weekend meets, but being in one house rather than hotel rooms was a fun change of pace. You should try it sometime if you have somebody crazy enough to open up their home to a bunch of audio nuts!

Well, enjoy your meet on Saturday at that beautiful hotel, and we will look forward to the pictures and impressions.

Cheers, Al

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #178 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This rig listening to some native Chinese singer, produced some airy and ethereal tones. I went back and forth between this station and my Millett Max demo. Anyone know who's rig this was? :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This rig is mine, and maybe you heard Chinese singers but I had track 2 of this disk playing the entire time...

Quote:

It sounded verrry good Al and I forgot to mention it on my first post. Come to think of it, I heard a Radiohead CD on your system and also on MikeyMads 300B system.........awesome! Where I heard those Chinese vocals is anybodies guess. Bartender another bourbon double please. :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
who is it, must be a female?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's Radiohead. Male but sings falsetto a lot. I still must hypothesize that the Chinese singer was just a voice in your head.
wink.gif

OK, so I didn't have Radiohead playing on my rig the entire time, I was just joking because Grahame made the Bodysnatchers reference and that is the title of Track 2 on the In Rainbows disk. It is quite possible Amphead heard the Chinese singer on my rig, and I would think it must have sounded quite nice (bourbon or no bourbon
wink.gif
).

BTW, Ping, you should have been there! You would have loved it and it would have been great to see you. Are you going to CanJam in Florida? I surely hope to see you there. Cheers, Al.

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #179 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were 6 of us who arrived at Voltron's place on Thursday night and stayed till Monday morning...

Interesting comparison for you Carlos, the 4 of us who flew from Florida and the 1 from North Carolina each came from roughly 2500 miles (4000 km) in a straight line...

So who is the chopped liver? Aaron or Wayne? Oh, I get it. Aaron didn't arrive until Friday. So I guess you counted right.
wink.gif
Sheez! And here I thought Aaron was Mr. Sensitive. I guess being his byyyyytch has had an effect on me as well.

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #180 of 246
Quote:

Hmmmm. I had the soundtrack for 'Ghost in the Shell' Japanese anime. So if there was a Japanese singer with a lot of huge drums and other stuff, that was mine.

Now if it was Chinese... then I don't know....
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back