Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #2,176 of 2,660
Because they are not linked at all.

assume you have spdif input...

Spdif Interface ---> Dac Chip(it splits here) ---> Gain Stage RCA Output(splits again for tube output) ---> RCA outputs
                                                              ---> Gain Stage HPA output ---> HPA output

The change in sound if any would be would be power draw.

The opamps are used for gain only, and it wouldn't force it through two different stages like that before splitting..

Not trying to discredit anyone, but in this situation its not so much a thing of "do cables change audio" as it is how can you hold something in your hand when its sitting on the desk behind you.

Quote:
I find that the Opamp on the DAC section does impact the sound coming out from the headphone output after playing around the various opamps on my previous D1 setup. I think Spanky feel likewise too. Don't think it is the placebo effect but I am not sure why the designer (Ryan) himself mentioned that there will be no effect though. I have no D1 with me now so I can't do a confirmation test for my memory.

Audio GD Sun HDAM or the HDAM from Burson Audio may be some of the best opamps out there for D1 but they may require extra hardwork and effort on your part.

reiser, I may be going after your path =))

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #2,177 of 2,660
What you said made sense but that would also imply that D1 would work without an opamp in the DAC section if we are using the headamp section only.

Can anyone confirm this? If D1 won't work it will mean that the signal flow is
SPDIF --> DAC Chip --> DAC Gain Stage--> HPA Gain Stage --> HPA Output

The signal split will be at the DAC Gain Stage instead of the DAC Chip.

I got no D1 but am just interested in how it works =)

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #2,178 of 2,660

I have, the D1 does indeed work without an opamp on the RCA outputs(center opamp) with the headphone output.

Well a little bit more complex than purely power draw, there is a possibility that having an opamp in the socket could change the output on the dac itself which could effect the overall signature but at the same time the properties of the opamp itself is not being used to influence it as is the elelectrical properties of the dacs output (impedence, ect ect).  Since different opamps have their own properties and work the dac's output in slightly different ways. 

I couldn't explain that properly though, not my area of expertise.  Being a pure dac I doubt the D2 will see these kinds of issues though personally I didn't detect much if any problems.
Quote:
What you said made sense but that would also imply that D1 would work without an opamp in the DAC section if we are using the headamp section only.

Can anyone confirm this? If D1 won't work it will mean that the signal flow is
SPDIF --> DAC Chip --> DAC Gain Stage--> HPA Gain Stage --> HPA Output

The signal split will be at the DAC Gain Stage instead of the DAC Chip.

I got no D1 but am just interested in how it works =)

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #2,179 of 2,660
Sounded like an inefficient circuit design where there are unwanted interference from other 'components'. Maybe not having anything in the center opamp will clean up the sound by a bit?

I remembered Spanky in the condensed faq posted of how the combination of DAC Opamp + HPA Opamp results in different sound signature in the HPA output. Maybe he should change that if it can be said that DAC Opamp plays no role in determining the sound from HPA output (as confirmed by Ryan).

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #2,180 of 2,660
Nudge nudge wink wink....I'm selling my like-new Maverick D1 w/ the upgraded GE 5670 tube for a bargain in the exchange. 
L3000.gif

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,181 of 2,660

Quote:
I remembered Spanky in the condensed faq posted of how the combination of DAC Opamp + HPA Opamp results in different sound signature in the HPA output. Maybe he should change that if it can be said that DAC Opamp plays no role in determining the sound from HPA output (as confirmed by Ryan).

I changed them both at the same time, I wasn't going to be bothered with testing individually. All I knew was that I didn't like the LF353 so why keep it at all. When I popped the new opamps in, I loved it so I just closed the case.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #2,182 of 2,660
Quote:
I changed them both at the same time, I wasn't going to be bothered with testing individually. All I knew was that I didn't like the LF353 so why keep it at all. When I popped the new opamps in, I loved it so I just closed the case.

*spanks spanky*
deadhorse.gif

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #2,183 of 2,660
Spanky...any news on the DAC2?

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,186 of 2,660
Quote:
why can't american new years last as long as chinese new years.

We have the "Christmas season," which used to start right after Thanksgiving, but now begins as soon as Halloween is over.   So we have two months to frantically spend money to sustain retail merchants who sell many goods manufactured in China.  That the Chinese should then take two weeks to count how much more money we have contributed to our trade imbalance with them doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.  Now everybody back to work - Americans: borrow, spend.  Chinese: save, build. 
redface.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #2,187 of 2,660
We only get Christmas day off.  The whole country doesn't shut down for a week...

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #2,188 of 2,660
I replaced the stock opamps with LM4562NA based on recommendations on this thread.  The only ones I could find were listed as National Semiconductor PowerWise from Digi-Key in Minnesota and I was surprised they only cost $3.00 each.  After a quick listen I can't say I detect much change.  Do op-amps need to burn in?  Are $3 op-amps significantly inferior to others?

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,190 of 2,660

I replaced the stock opamps with LM4562NA based on recommendations on this thread.  The only ones I could find were listed as National Semiconductor PowerWise from Digi-Key in Minnesota and I was surprised they only cost $3.00 each.  After a quick listen I can't say I detect much change.  Do op-amps need to burn in?  Are $3 op-amps significantly inferior to others?

Mine were like 18$ in total and the difference was audible right from the 1st second (imho)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back