Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 23, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #2,146 of 2,660
While it's a great price, shipping is $20 since its from the USA--I'm not sure if I can still go cheaper by buying in Canada.

Quote:
Quote:
I checked there but it's out of stock =(

Quote:
Quote:
I'm trying to find a LM4562 in Canada but I'm finding it so hard =(

The link I posted above is for a company located in Calgary, Alberta.  We routinely ship between the lower 48 states down here, don't your provinces exchange mail with each other? 
wink.gif

Digikey appears to have them in stock, and for only $3.05 each:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=LM4562NA-ND

I wish I had gotten mine from them rather than the Hong Kong-based eBay vendor I bought from.  Paid three times as much and waited an eternity for it to arrive.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #2,147 of 2,660
I don't know what's with all the Opamp combinations, but when I emailed Ryan, this is what he said:
Quote:
 One OpAmp is used for headphone, the other one is used for analog output. The one close to the headphone output is the one for the headphone output. If you only use the headphone output on the DAC, you only need change the one close to the headphone output.

I am not sure if I answered your question. Do let me know if you have any further question.

Cheers,

Ryan

Customer Support
Maverick Audio 

So I'm guessing the DAC opamp and the Headphone Opamp don't touch each other. The DAC Opamp most likely is for the Tube Pre-out and the Headph opamp is for the Headphone out, since you'll still need some amplification to get the signal to Line-Out level.

1) Yes. From memory, the last time I tested it the LT1364 for the amp section measured around -3 mV per channel. I'm not sure if that's low enough but some people say below 20mV is good enough per channel.

2) I tried using the LT1364 with my MS-1's and my Beyer DT250's. Honestly, it lacked a little bit of control. I felt as if my bass was bloated and all over the place. I went back to using the LM4562 as my default Amp opamp.
3) I haven't tried it. Might try it tonight, Although some people report some loss in detail
EDIT: Tried it, DC offset is 50.2/51.7 mV. Borderline Dangerous, so I'm not risking it =\

Note: I got my info here: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/dcoffset.htm

Quote:  
Hi All,

I've owned a D1 for a few months now and am loving it with a WE396A tube. I use the tube output exclusively into powered speakers, but have recently been using the headphone amp quite a lot as well. After reading about the mods here, I have now ordered 2 x LT1364 opamps, although they are on backorder and I won't have them for a couple of weeks yet. I have been reading about the popularity of the LM4562 and OPA627 opamps and am considering grabbing some of those as well.

I just have a few questions:

• Any of the opamps I have mentioned above can be used in any of the Amp or DAC opamp sockets? The LT1364/DAC and LM4562/Amp suggestion in the FAQ is just a guideline? They could be swapped around?
  • The LT1364 doesn't seem to get a lot of love as an Amp opamp. I am using Alessandro MS-Pro's, and given that I don't use the SS DAC output, I am thinking I should cancel the LT1364 order and go wtih the LM4562/Amp only. Thoughts?
  • Anyone using the OPA627 in the Amp section and thoughts on it's performance?
  • Has anyone ordered opamps from Tam Audio (a.k.a. Coolfungadget)? This price seems a little too good - fake? http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80
  • Is the OPA2627 SuperChip on this page - http://www.audiophileproducts.com/opamps - the same as a dual OPA627 with Browndog adapter? And a preferable option?

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,148 of 2,660
Hi Riverback!

The opamp at the DAC section will be affecting the sound on the analogue output at the back as well as the headamp output at the front as long as you are using the DAC component in Maverick, i.e, via Optical/Coax/USB input.

If you are using the DAC on Maverick, any changes in the DAC section opamp will change the sound coming out from the headamp as well. Thus, pairing the DAC opamp and the Headamp section opamp is very important too.

The best DAC section opamp is still LME49720HA and OPA627. LT1364 sounds a little dry and lifeless to me from my memory.

If you are using analogue input/line-in, the DAC section opamp will not affect the sound on the headamp.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,150 of 2,660
Well I also emailed Ryan and got a response similar to Riverbank's:

"Since you only use the DAC with your headphone, you only need to switch the OpAmp close to the headphone output. You don't need to switch another OpAmp as it is for the analog output."

But uelover says that the DAC opamp is also used when using the Headphone output, if you are using the DAC section (which I am, via USB), and that actually makes more sense to me. Hard to go against the word of the guy who runs Maverick Audio, but anyway I have cancelled my order of the LT1364 and now have two LM4562's on the way.

I would like to try the LME49720HA (DAC) and OPA627 (Amp), but I would like to get 2 x OPA627AU on an adapter preconfigured and ready to go, and all the eBay ones seem awfully cheap (and probably fake). I am in Australia and not sure where to source such an item at a reasonable (found one for $100 - bit too steep).

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2,151 of 2,660

Quote:
 I am in Australia and not sure where to source such an item at a reasonable (found one for $100 - bit too steep).

For that price, you could get setup with HDAM's from AudioGD.

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #2,152 of 2,660
Quote:
For that price, you could get setup with HDAM's from AudioGD.

Good point. I wasn't that keen on the extra effort of socket stacks and case dremmeling, but if it's sonically superior to the LME49720HA and OPA627 combo, I'd certainly make the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The best DAC section opamp is still LME49720HA and OPA627. LT1364 sounds a little dry and lifeless to me from my memory.

uelover, did you ever try 2 x Audio-GD Sun HDAM's? If so, were they better than the LME49720HA and OPA627 combo?

Thanks all for the help!

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #2,154 of 2,660
From what I can tell, the headphone opamp changes the sound most.

I'm still testing out if the DAC op-amps have any noticeable changes to the sound (testing LT1364, OPA627, and LME49720HA) since you can pretty much run the headphone out without the DAC Opamp.

There are some forums on the web that say the LME49720 and the LM4562 is the same chip. Confused? Yes I am =\
EDIT:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/107344-lme49720-vs-lm4562.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521972/lm4562-lme49720-lme49860-do-they-sound-different-to-you

Apparently, they're the same chip just different marketing. the LME49720HA might be a bit better due to the metal can having some RF shielding.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #2,155 of 2,660

Quote:
the LME49720HA might be a bit better due to the metal can having some RF shielding.

Yes, that's the way I read the comparisons as well. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
This Head-Fi-er no longer performs the SUN HDAM D1 mod for others, but you can read about his efforts and impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446764/maverick-audio-dac-amp/1650#post_6788132

Yes, I did read the Sun HDAM mod info, and (despite all the questions I have now) I have read this entire thread and the FAQ completely. Was still just unsure about a few things since I am completely new to opamp rolling. I was also a little confused due to some members promoting a certain opamp and others warning against it due to unstable DC offset values.

At this stage, I am going to await my LM4562's, and then decide from there where to go.

I would still like to know what is better; LME49720HA / OPA627 combo vs. 2 x Sun HDAM, but I think I will just to have to find out for myself!

I assume this - http://australia.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0813115&cm_vc=prev_au - would be a suitable DIP8 IC socket to mount the Sun HDAM's in? Any other better places in Australia to acquire these?

Also, the object of placing another socket into the existing socket is to provide height to allow the bulky HDAM to fit?

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #2,156 of 2,660
Hi Guys, it's been a while since I've posted.  I was going to sell my D1 because the volume controls is still driving me crazy.  Nothing for three clicks and the forth click is almost too loud.  BUT, I've listen to other DACs of friends of mine and the D1 is still sounding way better.  AND, I've not modded the chips yet.  So I guess I will put up with the volume control for now.  Has anyone put a linar volume pot in their D1?  One with no clicks?

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #2,157 of 2,660
What input do you use on the D1? Maybe use your pc's volume control?
Can't you just bypass the the volume (direct button) and adjust the volume on another device?

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2,158 of 2,660
I have never tried Sun HDAM as that would require modding the casing as the HDAM is really tall and will not fit into the original enclosure.

I recommended OPA627 and LME49720HA because I only have this limited number of opamps and they sounded better at the DAC section as compared to other opamps. All the opamps (except LME49720HA) mentioned in this 144 pages thread are safe to be used in either the headamp/dac section as they have relatively low DC offset.

A very safe option to go for would be OPA627 and LM4562 as the sound is very full and relatively balanced across all frequencies.

You can also explore other opamps and perhaps contribute your discovery here too! 
I have sold my D1 to Riverback and so I am basically out of business here
deadhorse.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #2,159 of 2,660

Quote:
What input do you use on the D1? Maybe use your pc's volume control?
Can't you just bypass the the volume (direct button) and adjust the volume on another device?

Well, my D1 tents to move about the house.  I have a 1.5TB external hard drive that goes with it.  When I am at the computer, I have it hooked up to my amp and play tunes through the Tube pre.  Late at night I use it with headphone.  Sometimes I use it in my main system where I use the Tube pre as my main pre amp and have my TT hooked up through the RCAs, I have my CD player hooked up through the CoAx, and my music server (with the ExHD) hooked up through the USB.  In most cases I am using the volume control as the computer hook ups are by-passing the computers music controlers.

Maybe it is time to take a hard look at this issue and find a solution.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #2,160 of 2,660

While I wont have the same headphones for reference but i'll have a new dac, the NFB-2.  It has no volume control though since its a straight dac.
Quote:
Hi Guys, it's been a while since I've posted.  I was going to sell my D1 because the volume controls is still driving me crazy.  Nothing for three clicks and the forth click is almost too loud.  BUT, I've listen to other DACs of friends of mine and the D1 is still sounding way better.  AND, I've not modded the chips yet.  So I guess I will put up with the volume control for now.  Has anyone put a linar volume pot in their D1?  One with no clicks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back