Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #2,132 of 2,660
I got it in today and finally just got it setup. It looks great and is well built. I'll let it burn in before i give any sound impressions. 

One thing I notice is that if I have active speakers hooked up via the tube-out, the speakers still play even when I plug headphones in. I was really hoping that having headphones in would mute the speakers. Is there anyway to make this possible?

Also, where the hell can I find a 6inch maleRCA to maleRCA cable? I'm looking all over but can't find anything shorter than a foot. I just need a simple RCA interconnect between the Maverick and my Bravo V2 amp

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,133 of 2,660
Plugging phones into the D1 headphone jack doesn't have the typical mute-the-speaker effect since you're only using it as a preamp; the Maverick A1 integrated amplifier behaves that way.  You'll just have to turn your separate amp off or dial the volume pot down all the way if you want to use the D1's headphone output without powering your speakers as well.  

I've never seen a pre-made 6-inch RCA-to-RCA interconnect, but I haven't seen a lot of things that actually exist somewhere in the world.  I wouldn't worry about signal degradation from a one-foot interconnect, if you can stand to tuck the excess cable away unobtrusively.

Welcome to the Maverick Audio Head-Fi owners club.  If you are going to use the D1's headphone output, I would highly recommend you get an LM4562 op-amp to swap for the one socketed near the headphone jack; it will signficantly improve the SQ of that output.  There are numerous vendors, but you can find a description of the LM4562 and ordering instructions at the bottom of this page:

http://www.audiophileproducts.com/opamps

If you want to replace the other socketed op-amp for the DAC circuit near the tube, there are several options for that.  Read Spanky's first post in the monster consolidated D1 FAQ thread.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #2,134 of 2,660
Thanks for your help. There isn't any way to mod it so the speakers do mute when headphones are in is there? My current speakers have their volume control so I can mute them, but I was hoping to get some KRK RP5s eventually which would need the preamp. Maybe I could just install a switch or volume inbetween the pre-out and the speakers and mute them that way?

I'm not worried about degradation, it'd just be nice to have a short simple interconnect. I have enough clutter as is.

I'll definitely check looking into swapping opamps since I will mostly use this as a headphone amp. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2,136 of 2,660
Quote:
I'm trying to find a LM4562 in Canada but I'm finding it so hard =(

The link I posted above is for a company located in Calgary, Alberta.  We routinely ship between the lower 48 states down here, don't your provinces exchange mail with each other? 
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2,137 of 2,660
Quote:
Thanks for your help. There isn't any way to mod it so the speakers do mute when headphones are in is there? My current speakers have their volume control so I can mute them, but I was hoping to get some KRK RP5s eventually which would need the preamp. Maybe I could just install a switch or volume inbetween the pre-out and the speakers and mute them that way?

Well, you have two sets of pre-amp outputs on the D1, tube and solid state, so they could run into different inputs in whatever speaker-driving amplifier you are using (I presume we're not talking about the Bravo here), and then mute the speakers by just switching your amplifier to a different input.  Or are we talking about self-powered speakers here, like Audioengines?  Well, I don't know of any internal modification I'd be willing to try inside the D1 to achieve your goal, which can be accomplished relatively easily some other way. 

OK, now that I see what a KRK RP5 is, it's like an Audioengine.  I couldn't see the back panel, but I would think it would have to have a power switch since it plugs into an AC outlet for power.  Flipping that off when you just want to listen to headphones on the D1 would be preferable to putting any sort of switch or volume pot in the signal path between the D1 and any powered speaker.

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #2,138 of 2,660
Hi All,

I've owned a D1 for a few months now and am loving it with a WE396A tube. I use the tube output exclusively into powered speakers, but have recently been using the headphone amp quite a lot as well. After reading about the mods here, I have now ordered 2 x LT1364 opamps, although they are on backorder and I won't have them for a couple of weeks yet. I have been reading about the popularity of the LM4562 and OPA627 opamps and am considering grabbing some of those as well.

I just have a few questions:

• Any of the opamps I have mentioned above can be used in any of the Amp or DAC opamp sockets? The LT1364/DAC and LM4562/Amp suggestion in the FAQ is just a guideline? They could be swapped around?
  • The LT1364 doesn't seem to get a lot of love as an Amp opamp. I am using Alessandro MS-Pro's, and given that I don't use the SS DAC output, I am thinking I should cancel the LT1364 order and go wtih the LM4562/Amp only. Thoughts?
  • Anyone using the OPA627 in the Amp section and thoughts on it's performance?
  • Has anyone ordered opamps from Tam Audio (a.k.a. Coolfungadget)? This price seems a little too good - fake? http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80
  • Is the OPA2627 SuperChip on this page - http://www.audiophileproducts.com/opamps - the same as a dual OPA627 with Browndog adapter? And a preferable option?

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #2,139 of 2,660
I checked there but it's out of stock =(

Quote:
Quote:

The link I posted above is for a company located in Calgary, Alberta.  We routinely ship between the lower 48 states down here, don't your provinces exchange mail with each other? 
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2,140 of 2,660
Quote:
I checked there but it's out of stock =(

Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

Digikey appears to have them in stock, and for only $3.05 each:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=LM4562NA-ND

I wish I had gotten mine from them rather than the Hong Kong-based eBay vendor I bought from.  Paid three times as much and waited an eternity for it to arrive.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2,141 of 2,660
Quote:
Hi All,

I've owned a D1 for a few months now and am loving it with a WE396A tube. I use the tube output exclusively into powered speakers, but have recently been using the headphone amp quite a lot as well. After reading about the mods here, I have now ordered 2 x LT1364 opamps, although they are on backorder and I won't have them for a couple of weeks yet. I have been reading about the popularity of the LM4562 and OPA627 opamps and am considering grabbing some of those as well.

I just have a few questions:

• Any of the opamps I have mentioned above can be used in any of the Amp or DAC opamp sockets? The LT1364/DAC and LM4562/Amp suggestion in the FAQ is just a guideline? They could be swapped around?

You need to talk to one of the Maverick Audio Head-Fi op-amp/tube rolling experts, of which I am not one.  Spanky hasn't posted in awhile, maybe this will attract his attention.  I know that "DC offset" is a critical consideration in whatever op-amp is used in the headphone output stage, to prevent possible damage to your cans.  I used the LM4562 and LT1364 combination just because a clear, large consensus had developed that this was a stable, safe, good-sounding pair of chips to use.  In my reading, the subject of op-amp "rolling" is not entirely without controversy, as this post indicates, which was closely followed by an agreeing sentiment from Head-Fi legend "Uncle Erik" -

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504503/is-it-really-worth-upgrading-sennheiser-hd-580-600-650-cables/30#post_6831747

So, seek sage counsel.  I don't know what Ryan's policy is on op-amp substitutions and warranty status; you could try e-mailing him with your ideas and see what he says.

Jan 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,142 of 2,660
Try searching this thread, it's been discussed in several posts. I'm sorry but I can't remember the details.
I just have the combo most of us have. There do is some info on the first FAQ page about opamp rolling as well.

And no, I'm not selling all my Mavaudio gear, just one A1. I'm so keeping the D1 DAC! :)

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2,143 of 2,660
Opamp rolling doesn't void warranty. That's why there's sockets there. As far as doing the actual swapping, read the FAQ. Anything that's been tested and reported is in there. If it's not in there, you better have balls the size of the liberty bell or a multimeter to test DC Offset.

Sorry I don't post much anymore. I still lurk but only speak when needed :) I'm quite content with my audio setup now thanks to Ryan.

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2,145 of 2,660
n19htmare, I was in your EXACT position. I chose the slightly higher price of the Maverick D1 over the Zero. The Zero used to be a great unit but their quality went downhill and units died. Not many received support and their money was pretty much wasted. If something goes wrong with a Maverick Audio product, Ryan works very hard to make sure the customer is satisfied. That won it over for me. You may not use the tube output now but some day down the road, you might get a tube amp and that would be a pretty neat feature then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back