Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #2,161 of 2,660
Quote:
While I wont have the same headphones for reference but i'll have a new dac, the NFB-2.  It has no volume control though since its a straight dac.

Ninjikirian, you said you were going to keep your Maverick A1 as a speaker amplifier; what are you going to use to drive your headphones when the NFB-2 arrives?  I have to admit, I have been reading up on it, and it is really impressive.  Read the paragraph right under the fifth pair of pictures in this review:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/177-audio-gd-nfb-2-dac-19-series

I am hoping Ryan will announce details of the rumored "D2" soon; I would like to remain a loyal Maverick customer, but using my A1's excellent tube headphone amplifier section, the tube preamp of the D1 is of no big value in my current configuration, I don't need all of its control flexibility or multiple input/outputs or the built-in headphone amp.  And Kingwa's circuit design and engineering prowess is awesome.  Multiple, regulated, filtered power supplies inside the same chassis for different stages of the DAC circuit might be overkill, but it sure can't hurt the SQ.  Anyway, thanks for talking me through how to remove that modded driver for the D1 and go with standard MS USB Audio device.  My Teralink X2 still hasn't gotten here from Hong Kong, but hopefully it will soon.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #2,162 of 2,660
I don't have an A1 but interested in owning one when I buy speakers one day.  Granted if they need amping and are not powered/active.

As for my HPA, I have been using the Matrix M-Stage since the summer and its a better amp than what was built into the D1 as well as having better pre-amp  control(volume knob is higher quality).  Might upgrade that to, depending on how the lyr schitt reviews with the LCD-2's.

Also np~

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #2,163 of 2,660
Quote:
I don't have an A1 but interested in owning one when I buy speakers one day.  Granted if they need amping and are not powered/active.

As for my HPA, I have been using the Matrix M-Stage since the summer and its a better amp than what was built into the D1 as well as having better pre-amp  control(volume knob is higher quality).  Might upgrade that to, depending on how the lyr schitt reviews with the LCD-2's.

Oh, I misunderstood.  I just picked up a pair of Insignia NS-B2111 speakers Friday at BestBuy because they were on-sale for $70, and by Sunday they were back at $90.  I was ambivalent about it, because my neighbors are really sensitive to any audible noise (sometimes I catch myself kind of "holding my breath" in my own apartment), but I wanted to hear how the A1 could drive speakers, as project86 used them in his A1 review:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513019/review-maverick-audio-tubemagic-a1-integrated-amp-pre-amp-headphone-amp

... and there is a great DIY upgrade kit available from them from GR Research.  Spanky has a pair with his A1.  But I haven't even hooked them up yet; making some speaker cables tonight.   If you (or anyone) is considering a Maverick A1, ultraniferno is selling one his two units (keeping the one with his loved Mullard tubes), and I promised that I would shill for him to find a buyer. 
rolleyes.gif

That Schiit Lyr is a beast of a headphone amplifier; I knew orthos need a lot of power, but you could almost run an efficient pair of speakers with that thing.

Any word on when your NFB-2 will arrive? I don't want to corrupt a Maverick thread, but since I feel like I "know" you from all of your posts about the Maverick D1 long before I joined Head-Fi and began posting myself, I will be really curious about your listening evaluation of it. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #2,164 of 2,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by attenuated 3db /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you (or anyone) is considering a Maverick A1, ultraniferno is selling one his two units (keeping the one with his loved Mullard tubes), and I promised that I would shill for him to find a buyer. 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks Mister! :) You'll have to hurry tho, cause if I'm not getting better offer withing the next 4 hours it will be gone
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #2,165 of 2,660

I have the Insignias (stock) on my desktop and run them with the D1 into a 6LR8 set amp.  They sound great stock but at some point in time I would like to do the GR upgrade.  I've not heard it, but looking at the plots, it looks like it would be a well spent $90.

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I misunderstood.  I just picked up a pair of Insignia NS-B2111 speakers Friday at BestBuy because they were on-sale for $70, and by Sunday they were back at $90.  I was ambivalent about it, because my neighbors are really sensitive to any audible noise (sometimes I catch myself kind of "holding my breath" in my own apartment), but I wanted to hear how the A1 could drive speakers, as project86 used them in his A1 review:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513019/review-maverick-audio-tubemagic-a1-integrated-amp-pre-amp-headphone-amp

... and there is a great DIY upgrade kit available from them from GR Research.  Spanky has a pair with his A1.  But I haven't even hooked them up yet; making some speaker cables tonight.   If you (or anyone) is considering a Maverick A1, ultraniferno is selling one his two units (keeping the one with his loved Mullard tubes), and I promised that I would shill for him to find a buyer. 
rolleyes.gif

That Schiit Lyr is a beast of a headphone amplifier; I knew orthos need a lot of power, but you could almost run an efficient pair of speakers with that thing.

Any word on when your NFB-2 will arrive? I don't want to corrupt a Maverick thread, but since I feel like I "know" you from all of your posts about the Maverick D1 long before I joined Head-Fi and began posting myself, I will be really curious about your listening evaluation of it. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #2,171 of 2,660

Quote:
A very safe option to go for would be OPA627 and LM4562 as the sound is very full and relatively balanced across all frequencies.  
You can also explore other opamps and perhaps contribute your discovery here too!

Well since you all put up with my incessant posting and pestering about opamp upgrades, I thought I would let you know that exchanging the stock opamps for LM4562NA's has made an easily noticeable improvement to the headphone performance. Certainly "less shrill" as the FAQ puts it, with an overall richer sound, more body and control. Gives the Alessandro MS-Pro's a fuller sound with greater bass extension.

This is where I bought them - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160496917340&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT - no, I cannot vouch for their authenticity, but with the improvement in sound, I am hoping I have purchased genuine units.

Am now deciding on my next move. I have a feeling it will be 2 x Audio-GD Sun HDAMs. And a dremel
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #2,174 of 2,660
I find that the Opamp on the DAC section does impact the sound coming out from the headphone output after playing around the various opamps on my previous D1 setup. I think Spanky feel likewise too. Don't think it is the placebo effect but I am not sure why the designer (Ryan) himself mentioned that there will be no effect though. I have no D1 with me now so I can't do a confirmation test for my memory.

Audio GD Sun HDAM or the HDAM from Burson Audio may be some of the best opamps out there for D1 but they may require extra hardwork and effort on your part.

reiser, I may be going after your path =))

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #2,175 of 2,660
Hello, I would like to know how much of a difference does 16/44.1 usb input makes compared to 24/96? The D1 seems to have everything that i am looking for. But just because of this little thing i am not sure if i should get the D1 or HUD MX-1. I'm currently using my crappy realtek onboard and HD201. After DAC, the next step would be to get some 2.0 speakers (swan d1080mkii 08) and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back