Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #2,116 of 2,660
Has anyone tried the LT1364 for the Amp section?

I've tried it out accidentally once and it kinda blew me away.
Now I'm worried since people say it runs hot when you use it as a headphone opamp (might be instability issues with the opamp).

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2,117 of 2,660
Just placed an order for one of these with the upgraded GE tube. Can't wait!

Jan 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2,118 of 2,660
Welcome to the Maverick Audio Head-Fi sub-community!  So you gave up waiting out that Audio-gd NFB-12?  I've been following that thread myself (product sounds too good to be true, or at least too good to be that cheap), but getting one delivered to your door apparently takes the patience of Job, and the ability to wade through more English-with-strange-Chinese-syntax than I personally can decode.

Well, given my DHL experiences, you should have your D1 in a matter of days, not months.  Good choice on the tube; are you going to replace either of the internal socketed op-amps?  One makes the built-in headphone amp sound considerably better, and the other improves the DAC circuit.  You can find plenty of guides.  Best wishes.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #2,119 of 2,660
I realized that I liked having the options to modify if I felt like it and also liked having the extra inputs/outputs of the D1 as well as the tube. The next best thing is the FUN, but that's another $100.  None of my gear is really "hi-fi" so it's not worth it yet to jump to something like the NFB-12 because that would just cause a vicious cycle of upgrading.

The D1 will be my first "real" amp so I don't have any experience swapping out op-amps but it's definitely something I'm interested in and look forward to. I've also been impressed with the customer support of Ryan which is a big plus over the confusing chinese-syntax you mention. I've been following this thread since it first came out and am glad to finally take the plunge. It has been on the top of my list for a long time, and even though I always look for something slightly better, the D1 seemed to always come out on top with the best features, versatility, and support.

Also big thanks to _Spanky_ for the awesome consolidated FAQ/thread and his detailed review. He helped answer lots of questions and I'm definitely happy in my purchase already

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #2,120 of 2,660
Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lazerboy2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The D1 will be my first "real" amp so I don't have any experience swapping out op-amps but it's definitely   something I'm interested in and look forward to.

It (op-amp substitution or "rolling") is really easy to do (if I can do it, it has got to be), and cheap.   The LM4562 will make the D1 built-in headphone amplifier sound considerably better (I can authoritatively state that as a fact) and the LT1364 is the most popular choice for the DAC circuit.  A small pair of needle-nose pliers (or a chip-puller, which looks like an insulated pair of tweezers) and your index finger is all you need.  Get some recommendations from people here for better op-amp sources than the eBay vendors I used.  Although their chips worked, they took a long time to arrive, and the packaging was kind of dodgy.  Digikey.com is a popular source, but their website was too much for me to decipher a month ago.  But you can get both op-amps for about $20-30, and everybody who's done the swap swears by the instantly audible improvement. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #2,121 of 2,660
Just unpacked my new (used) D1. I had been running my iMac's HPO to my Little Dot MKIII driving Senn HD 650's. I was feeling ver disappointed in the output of the MKIII...seemed like I was getting clipping distortion on complex passages. I was worried it wasn't supplying enough current. So I got the D1 for 2 reasons...1. To see what ha better source signal would do and 2. To maybe even replace the MKIII.

Well, the good news and the OK news.

The good news is WOW, what a difference the DAC makes. The clipping distortion is gone...it was clearly from the sound card. HUGE relief. The bass is much improved as well. The OK news is that the Headphone amp section of the D1 as it stands (no op amp rolling yet) is very bright. It makes my Grados unlistenable and even makes the 650's sibilant. So, for now, it looks like it's:

iMac > Maverick D1 > Little Dot MKIII > Senn 650

And my wallet gets no relief.

I'm going to read back when I have some time, but does anyone have any recommendations for warmer op-amps for the headphone section?

Also, any advantage to Toslink over USB?

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,123 of 2,660
Quote:
I actually sold my D1 for an NFB-2 and I probably wont have a dac till febuary at this rate!  But i'll survive.

Thanks for all of your help with the Head-Fi Maverick Audio owners, ninjikirian.  I am guessing that the Maverick "D2" DAC that Spanky has hinted at here - but Ryan doesn't want any more details divulged yet - will address some of the competition from the less-expensive Audio-gd DACs.  Their gear looks very good, design and component-wise, but they don't yet appear to be as easy to do business with for typical USA-based customers like me.  Ryan's English is so much better than my Mandarin or Cantonese.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #2,124 of 2,660
Ryans english is a ton better and while I would love to wait for the D2, based on my evolving knowledge I like what Kingwa does being both discrete and excellently designed from a PSU standpoint.  While I feel the mav will always be an awesome dac, D1 and D2 I am yet to see if Ryan will rise to that level of challenge.  Where audio-gd is employing things in their dacs that cost thousands in some western made units(relative to USA)

Same time I plan on sticking to this thread, and I plan on getting the A1 for a speaker system since price is right and it will have the right amount of performance for my own needs.

While service can be important, as long as I get the product and it works I am ok :wink:.  My SUN HDAM shipped rather quickly when I got it a while back but the dacs seem to be on back log.
Quote:
Quote:
I actually sold my D1 for an NFB-2 and I probably wont have a dac till febuary at this rate!  But i'll survive.

Thanks for all of your help with the Head-Fi Maverick Audio owners, ninjikirian.  I am guessing that the Maverick "D2" DAC that Spanky has hinted at here - but Ryan doesn't want any more details divulged yet - will address some of the competition from the less-expensive Audio-gd DACs.  Their gear looks very good, design and component-wise, but they don't yet appear to be as easy to do business with for typical USA-based customers like me.  Ryan's English is so much better than my Mandarin or Cantonese.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #2,125 of 2,660
Haha i considered NFB-2 too but in the end went for StageDAC. No regret so far. NFB-2 has a very similar circuit to StageDAC so it will be interesting to hear of their comparison!

Quote:

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2,126 of 2,660
I brought my stuff down to school with me. It spent a night in the car in cold Pennsylvania weather. Last night a couple of times the DAC shut off (made the click noise) and then came on again. I'm not sure if it was my USB cable just being funky or if it was something with the DAC itself, but has anyone experienced anything like this?

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2,127 of 2,660
I have GF DAC-09 and get the click if it barfs at high rez files, or tries to playback multi channel sound. Not sure if that helps.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #2,128 of 2,660
Come to find out it's my amp. The light starts blinking orange, which would indicate it has either overheated or the impedemence of the speakers is too low. Considering I just turned it on and my room is room temp, that can't be the case. Also, I've had these speakers for a while without the issue so that rules that out...really odd, no clue what's going on.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,129 of 2,660
Wow I can't believe how fast it shipped. Just too bad I wasn't there when they tried delivering it!!! I got an email notice yesterday that it was shipped, and when I got home from work today I had a notice that they tried delivering it at 1230PM. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow!!!!!

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2,130 of 2,660

DHL (A German company) has a corporate motto (they may have several, but this one is most prominent): "No one knows China like we do."  I've waited longer to receive something mailed USPS express/certified/speed-of-light from within the USA than I had to wait for either my D1 or A1.  In my case, DHL called early morning to make sure someone would be home for delivery.  Hope you get your package tomorrow.

Quote:
Wow I can't believe how fast it shipped. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back