Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #376 of 2,660
My Maverick is officially in the mainland US! When it arrives, expect pics/impressions. :]

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #377 of 2,660
Woot! That's one thing I've been wanting to see: some great high-detail pictures of the inside and around the unit
biggrin.gif
Can't wait to hear your impressions as I patiently wait for mine.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #378 of 2,660
Im all new to this and been looking for a nice DAC/preamp. Will this benefit the Audioengine A5?

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #379 of 2,660
First sign of trouble. I just ripped a lossless copy of "Lay it Down" and through the tube pre out I get clipping or popping or static through my speakers at higher volume levels; no problem through the headphones, which use the SS out. This happens if the direct button is engaged or not, and I've never heard my speakers behave like this before.

And so it begins
frown.gif
?

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #380 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ripped a lossless copy of "Lay it Down" and through the tube pre out I get clipping or popping or static through my speakers at higher volume levels; no problem through the headphones, which use the SS out. This happens if the direct button is engaged or not, and I've never heard my speakers behave like this before.

Maybe it is something wrong with the tube, try another 5670, otherwise you may have warranty. In this case contact Maverick for a replacement of the PCB.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #381 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First sign of trouble. I just ripped a lossless copy of "Lay it Down" and through the tube pre out I get clipping or popping or static through my speakers at higher volume levels; no problem through the headphones, which use the SS out. This happens if the direct button is engaged or not, and I've never heard my speakers behave like this before.

And so it begins
frown.gif
?

Is it only with that copy? If so, then it's probably the rip. If not, then it might be a problem with the tube. What's your source? It could be a problem with your speakers. Do you hear the clipping on any other song? Does the same thing happen when you don't use the tube out?

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #382 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it only with that copy? If so, then it's probably the rip. If not, then it might be a problem with the tube. What's your source? It could be a problem with your speakers. Do you hear the clipping on any other song? Does the same thing happen when you don't use the tube out?

That's the suggestion I will give as well. Also, a side note, tube need some time to "warm up" to get in to working mode. If you just turn on the DAC, wait a few minutes before you use the tube pre out stage.

You can also submit a ticket for our support.

Dec 30, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #383 of 2,660
Just got my D1 handed to me by the DHL man!

Shipping was pretty quick once it got past the customs/Christmas delay, considering it left China yesterday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad to hear about the clipping issues. I'll test mine out once it gets up to room temp.

I could take a bunch of pictures later if anyone is interested.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #384 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by thearrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my D1 handed to me by the DHL man!

Shipping was pretty quick once it got past the customs/Christmas delay, considering it left China yesterday.
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad to hear about the clipping issues. I'll test mine out once it gets up to room temp.

I could take a bunch of pictures later if anyone is interested.

Pictures and impressions are always of interest!

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #385 of 2,660
Warmed everything up, plugged everything in. Came as described. Solid construction, good looks.

PC (WINAMP+ASIO4ALL) -> OPTICAL -> D1 -> TUBE-OUT -> RCA-to-1/8" -> Senn HD280 Pro

First I tried the headphone amp, and with my dinky 64 ohm 280s I just picked up a lot of noise and couldn't move the volume dial past the 2nd click without blowing my head off....
L3000.gif

So I plugged them into the tube out, now they're dead silent (no noise), have the warm tubey sound, and can push around 9 o'clock on the volume dial.

I'll refrain from commenting on the sound too much as I only have my onboard audio and HD280s to compare to. That said, I'm very happy so far. No more motherboard noise to deal with, I'm getting much better low-end out of my HD280s, and everything seems crisper.

Next step is upgraded phones!
atsmile.gif

Pictures in a bit...

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #386 of 2,660
The DHL man visited me today. He delivered... a Maverick D1.

sany0088k.jpg

sany0092v.jpg

Full hi-res images, including many internal shots available at my Imageshack album.

ImageShack - Maverick Audio D1 Pictures

Initial impressions are extremely positive. I'm loving this thing.

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #388 of 2,660
By the by, my Raytheon windmill getter & GE 5670 are in the mail. :]

Dec 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #389 of 2,660
Thanks for the great pictures. I don't post often or ever really, but have been a lurker here for many a year.
I'll say this. Whoever designed the case for the Maverick should be giving a big thumbs up. A VERY nice Case. BUT!!! My oh my they must have chimps working on the internals. Man it's a mess. Not trying to bash or anything but if you look at Arrows 5th pic or so on the close ups. The resisters, caps ect are all out of line, some are even some are totally WAY off. Not to mention the horrible solder job on some of the parts.
I know the owner/manager, what's his name? Said these are hand built, But wowzers these are hole thru boards, very simple to work on as far as solder work.
Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a sweat sounding unit. Looks good as well!!! I'm not so sure about the parts holding up in the long run tho??? I mean it is only $200 or so but still. How about a kit maybe??? Would something like that be workable?
I rather do the internals myself then to have something that looks like cheap 12 year old chinese laborers built it. Again not bashing just and observation on the build quality.. If you look at the XS or Grant boards which are VERY close you can see the build quality is MUCH better and rumor has these come from the same factory... New workers or what??? Just my 2 cents... I'll still buy one as soon as bit perfect gets fixed via usb, the internals I can redo myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #390 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPACEACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great pictures. I don't post often or ever really, but have been a lurker here for many a year.
I'll say this. Whoever designed the case for the Maverick should be giving a big thumbs up. A VERY nice Case. BUT!!! My oh my they must have chimps working on the internals. Man it's a mess. Not trying to bash or anything but if you look at Arrows 5th pic or so on the close ups. The resisters, caps ect are all out of line, some are even some are totally WAY off. Not to mention the horrible solder job on some of the parts.
I know the owner/manager, what's his name? Said these are hand built, But wowzers these are hole thru boards, very simple to work on as far as solder work.
Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a sweat sounding unit. Looks good as well!!! I'm not so sure about the parts holding up in the long run tho??? I mean it is only $200 or so but still. How about a kit maybe??? Would something like that be workable?
I rather do the internals myself then to have something that looks like cheap 12 year old chinese laborers built it. Again not bashing just and observation on the build quality.. If you look at the XS or Grant boards which are VERY close you can see the build quality is MUCH better and rumor has these come from the same factory... New workers or what??? Just my 2 cents... I'll still buy one as soon as bit perfect gets fixed via usb, the internals I can redo myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Leave the cover on and you won't know the resistors aren't 100% lined up?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back