Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
May 18, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #1,472 of 2,660
I generally keep it on 6 ticks in, channel imbalance ends at 3 ticks.  I can go up to 7 ticks on some songs.  I don't start hearing a hiss till I reach ear deafening levels of volume.  I have never actually listened to anything at this levels but I would say 60-70% of the volume gauge  I can hear it. 

May 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #1,473 of 2,660

Hi folks. I don't have a Maverick but I do have a Xiang Sheng DAC (which everyone knows by now is same) and sadly I've encountered the same problem like Mysteek with the unbalanced sound (one side is slightly quieter) through the tube output. Kinda disappointing because I just changed the stock tube to a Raytheon tube which made the sound more fuller but now I'm stuck using half tube and SS output to get a balanced sound. If anyone gets a reply back on how to solve this problem, please give me a heads up. Thanks.

Michael

May 20, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #1,475 of 2,660

How familiar are you with tubes? How old is the tube. Sounds like the tube may not be seated correctly. I'd open it and make sure it's fully pushed in. My other thoughts include a bad tube, or the tube hasn't been burned in enough.  Reseat it, and give it some time.
Quote:

Hi folks. I don't have a Maverick but I do have a Xiang Sheng DAC (which everyone knows by now is same) and sadly I've encountered the same problem like Mysteek with the unbalanced sound (one side is slightly quieter) through the tube output. Kinda disappointing because I just changed the stock tube to a Raytheon tube which made the sound more fuller but now I'm stuck using half tube and SS output to get a balanced sound. If anyone gets a reply back on how to solve this problem, please give me a heads up. Thanks.

Michael

May 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,476 of 2,660
is there any folk own both little dot amp mkiii and this maverick dac/amp ?

i am think between those 2 for my Senn HD600 since they have similar price. Should i get the maverick  run as dac + amp or keep using my old  dac styleaudio HD1V  + LD MK III ?

May 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,477 of 2,660

Quote:
is there any folk own both little dot amp mkiii and this maverick dac/amp ?

i am think between those 2 for my Senn HD600 since they have similar price. Should i get the maverick  run as dac + amp or keep using my old  dac styleaudio HD1V  + LD MK III ?

Yikes, that's complicated. I've owned both the little dot mkiii and the maverick, although I sold the mkiii some time ago, and I'm in the process of selling my Maverick.  I'm unfamiliar with the HD1V. 

My personal opinions is that the Maverick is a solid device, but the built in amplifier is lower quality than the DAC. The amplifier in it will drive you hd600s very well, and they will sound great, but i feel the headphone amplifier doesn't do the dac justice.

This makes your question kind of difficult. If you get the mkiii you'll upgrade to a great tube amp, but I'm not sure about your DAC. If you get the maverick you'll have a solid DAC, and a good amplifier, which would allow easy upgrade room later.

I'd look for some cross comparison of your HD1V with the Maverick. If you think your HD1V is a low quality source, you could buy the maverick, and then when you are ready purchase a separate amplifier.

May 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #1,478 of 2,660
Thank you for the encouraging words about the Sun HDAM working in your Mav. I finally got a "Moon" working in mine, in the socket closest to the tube, using the extension. I suspect, as you alluded, that the specs were marginal for powering the Moon in the other position (headphone out). I am ordering a "Sun" unit and an "Earth," just to satisfy my curiosity about their respective qualities.

That said, I love the sound of the "Moon" HDAM in the Maverick. It is articulate, sweet, balanced and has authority at low frequencies. On the other hand, it seems to distort at high output, well before my power amp would normally clip. Again, this may be due to the "Moon" being marginal in some respect, in this circuit. I plan to leave it for now, as at normal listening volumes, it is such a treat.

I had tried LT1364, AD897, and of course the stock op amp. Each had merits, I suppose, but right now, the Moon has won, hands down, with the stock op amp coming in second (losing out due to the usual defect of op amps, high frequency harshness).

My system: Airport Express Digital Out --> Maverick D1 --> Transformer Coupled 300B --> Alpair 10, single-driver speakers (MarKen 10) / Allesandro Music Series Headphones

May 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #1,480 of 2,660
Ryan just made a new post today on his blog, I stumbled upon just now - figured i'd link it up here. Its some new inside info on his upcoming amp. Sounds exciting to me! I think i'll get in line. :wink: If it looks as good as / is priced as good as the D1 then we may have a very nice little amp on our hands.  I'm interested to see how much more "oomph" the tube out this will give, as I know I usually hook my D1 up to my old Hitachi (with the mosfets) to give my HD600s a bit more power (and sweeter low end.)

Anyway, can't wait to see what next month will bring! Gives me enough time to research 6AK5 tubes too, anyone know anything about their overall sound / rep?

http://www.mavaudio.com/base/audio-and-hi-fi/our-next-product/

May 21, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #1,482 of 2,660
A tube amp more like it.

My guess is rather than using the tube pre-out you can use the pure pre-out and benefit from a true tube based amp.

Personally I never heard the difference between a tube amp and solid state amp so I can't really speculate past that.  Though the adventurer in me wants to try it out, the wallet in my butt pocket tells me I will need to wait.

May 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #1,483 of 2,660
Ordered. How long did you guys have to wait to get a tracking number? How long did it take between ordering and delivery? 2 weeks or so?

* Answered by Ryan. Again :)

May 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #1,484 of 2,660
hey, has anyone tried using a high-end usb cable and know where if it will indeed make the sound coming through the usb port 'better'?

i know that many use toslink cables but from what i understand a toslink optical cable capable of achieving a high-grade audio standard will usually cost much more.

also, does anyone has the opportunity to try both the opa627 as well as the lt1364cn8 and lm4562na op amp?
I install opa627 both at the dac and headphone side. the resulting sound is smoother and cleaner at the expense of some details so i wonder if I should change my op-amp to lt1364cn8 and lm4562na. The only thing I dislike is that they are all sold in pairs. =(

or shall I wait for the new upcoming headphone amp? 
ksc75smile.gif

May 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #1,485 of 2,660

Quote:
hey, has anyone tried using a high-end usb cable and know where if it will indeed make the sound coming through the usb port 'better'?

i know that many use toslink cables but from what i understand a toslink optical cable capable of achieving a high-grade audio standard will usually cost much more.

also, does anyone has the opportunity to try both the opa627 as well as the lt1364cn8 and lm4562na op amp?
I install opa627 both at the dac and headphone side. the resulting sound is smoother and cleaner at the expense of some details so i wonder if I should change my op-amp to lt1364cn8 and lm4562na. The only thing I dislike is that they are all sold in pairs. =(

or shall I wait for the new upcoming headphone amp? 
ksc75smile.gif

the lm4562 is only about 5.00 and sold in singles at Digikey.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back