Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Oct 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #1,831 of 2,660
I've listened to a lot of music this weekend
atsmile.gif

And also to a lot of equipment combinations. I've tried to check out how the D1 behaves when connected to its various inputs. And I've done some listening test to compare it once more with my TC-electroncs Konnekt D24. The D1 is equipped with an OP249 OpAmp in the line/DAC stage. I've used the regular (non tube) output. The connections to the poweramp (a Duson A10) are made with Straightwire Rhapsody and the EPOS M22i speakers are connected with Nordost Blue Heaven cables.

I've used the following connections:
#1 source: Macbook Pro using VLC
- USB > D1 > Power Amp
- FW > D24 > SPDIF > D1 > Power Amp
- FW > D24 > Analog D1 > Power Amp
- FW > D24 > Power Amp

#2 source: Philips NP2900
- SPDIF out > D1 > Power Amp
- Analoug out > D1 > Power Amp

This is a picture of the setup:

BTW the Preamp was not used.

I've listened to a lot of music, but the comparisons where made with these two recordings:
- Crowded House - Woodface (track 7 & 10)
- Leinsdorf Sessions / Strawinsky Firebirs suite (part 4) - on Sheffield Lab
Both recordings where played using original CD's ripped to FLAC with EAC.

My conclusions:
  1. The best connection was trough SPDIF, using the D24. This setup resulted in the best soundstage, most extended and controlled bass response and an overall smooth tonal response while maintaining dynamic feel. The D24 is know for its good jitter behaviour. It uses the custom designed DICE-II chip from TC. And te SPDIF output uses quality transformers. Hence I think that the D1 is served with the best possible (low-jitter) SPDIF signal. Resulting in a lower dependence on the jitter rejection of the SPDIF receiver.
  2. The worst, while using the D1, was the SPDIF connection to the NP2900. Bass response was less extended and had a typical hump around 150Hz. The mid-high frequencies where more harsh. And, most importantly, the soundstage was much smaller and less deep and dynamics where duller.
  3. The direct analog connection of the NP2900, using the D1 as preamp was even worse. Flat, lifeless and shril.
  4. The D24 directly connected to the poweramp showed better soundstage, and significantly more detailed high freqeuncies. But at the cost of more shrill mids and highs. In terms of tonal balance the connection using the D1 as preamp sounded much better.
  5. The D1 connected trough the USB interface sounded better than the D1 connected to the NP2900, but not as good as the D1 connected to the SPDIF of the D24.  There where remarkable similarities between those options though. The effects where in the same areas (bass extension/control, sound stage and dynamic feel. If the SPDIF/NP2900 was on one end of the scale and the SPDIF/D24 on the other end, the USB connection would be on 1/3 towards the latter one. In other words, not bad at all......

From this experiment I conclude that the D1 is susceptible to the quality of the SPDIF feed. In fact, in some cases the USB connection might give better results!

Some side conclusions:
- The NP2900 is nice as a network player, but not such a good feed for the D1
- The TC-Konnekt is a good quality audio interface, that could benefit from better electronics in the analog output stage. Its a shame that its much harder to do OpAmp rolling in this unit than with the D1!

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #1,832 of 2,660

Quote:
I believe Digikey in USA carries the Opamp you are looking for.

in here ( Indonesia ) is difficult to buy something out side country ( like ebay or online store in other country )

Quote:
lepel, if I were you, I would just stick another LM4562 in there. They're known for having little to no DC offset so you shouldn't have a problem. Remember, one is for the DAC and the other is for the headphone amp section. I feel I also need to clarify that the tube is only for the RCA outputs on the back of the unit marked "tube".

*EDIT*
putz you are sneaky :p But, he's not in the US...

_Spanky_   i will try
biggrin.gif

my friend said opamp lm4562ha ( premium grade ) , has someone try it ?

and DC is mean  = disconnect or distorsion ?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #1,833 of 2,660
Oct 13, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #1,834 of 2,660
So I'm getting ready to buy one of the Sun HDAMs for my incoming D1, when I had a moment of hesitation. I'm hoping that someone can set me straight in my confusion:

I plan on running tube pre-out to my headphone amp. I know that on the back of the D1, there's a SS out and a tube pre-out. Does the DAC opamp (not the headphone opamp, I'm leaving that as-is) process the sound for both the SS and tube outs? My hesitation came in being worried that it ONLY impacts the SS out, which I don't plan on using. Thanks!

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #1,835 of 2,660
Hey everyone

I just ordered the D1 with the GE 5670 tube this morning.

I'm planning to order some DT880s. I want the 600 ohm version, but does the D1 have enough power to drive it? If not, should I be looking to pair the D1 with the A1 to drive it?

Or am I better off getting the 250 ohm version?

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #1,836 of 2,660
Quote:
Hey everyone

I'm planning to order some DT880s. I want the 600 ohm version, but does the D1 have enough power to drive it? If not, should I be looking to pair the D1 with the A1 to drive it?

It was/is fine with my former DT990/600s and current DT770/600s so the DT880s should be good as well.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #1,838 of 2,660
Quote:
Cal said:

Awesome. More money to spend! Doh!

I have the dt770 80 ohm right now. I think the dt880 600 ohm will be a pleasant step up.

They are all in the same family, so that upgrade will primarily depend on what kind of sound you want. 

So I'm getting ready to buy one of the Sun HDAMs for my incoming D1, when I had a moment of hesitation. I'm hoping that someone can set me straight in my confusion:

I plan on running tube pre-out to my headphone amp. I know that on the back of the D1, there's a SS out and a tube pre-out. Does the DAC opamp (not the headphone opamp, I'm leaving that as-is) process the sound for both the SS and tube outs? My hesitation came in being worried that it ONLY impacts the SS out, which I don't plan on using. Thanks!

As in the FAQ, it all begins at the opamp for DAC output.  On another note, you don't use this opamp when you use the headphone output.  This was a common early misconception, I asked the man of the device himself.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavwong 

To be exact,

Out of the DAC > Volume Pot -> Headphone Amp (opamp on the right)
                       > Direct Button (Enabled) -> gain stage (opamp on the center)
                              > SS RCA Outputs
                              > Tube stage -> Tube RCA output
                       > Direct Button (Disabled) > Volume Pot > gain stage (opamp on the center)
                              > SS RCA Output
                              > Tube stage -> Tube RCA Outputs

If direct sounds better, likely it's just because of cheap vol pot out of the path.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #1,839 of 2,660

Quote:

As in the FAQ, it all begins at the opamp for DAC output.  On another note, you don't use this opamp when you use the headphone output.  This was a common early misconception, I asked the man of the device himself.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread

Thanks! I figured it was as much, but I had the weird moment of hesitation this morning before ordering. In regards to the headphone opamp, since I'm running the D1 to my Little Dot MK IV SE, I'll just be leaving that part alone, and will probably only check out the headphone output if I don't feel like putting hours on the LD - good clarification though for anyone who missed that part in the FAQ too!

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #1,840 of 2,660

Quote:
Hey everyone

The headphone out on the A1 sounds incredibly much better as the one on the D1, even after opamp switching.
If you don"t need it as a dac, get the A1. Imho

Edit: Just read again and saw you ordered already. Get ready for some opamp rolling
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #1,841 of 2,660
Hey Spanky,

I wonder if you have tried using the LM4562NA opamps in both the headphone and DAC sections. I know the LT1364 and LM4562 combo fits most listeners' requirements but I can't seem to find anyone testing the 4562s on both sections. If you have tried this combo in the past, could you let me have your thoughts as I am contemplating getting a 4562 to try with the DAC and see how it goes but I don't want to waste time and money to do it if the combo sucks
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a heap Spanky and have a great weekend!

Best regards,
E.T.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #1,842 of 2,660
I forgot to say that I'd welcome thoughts from anyone else on this forum also
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Hey Spanky,

I wonder if you have tried using the LM4562NA opamps in both the headphone and DAC sections. I know the LT1364 and LM4562 combo fits most listeners' requirements but I can't seem to find anyone testing the 4562s on both sections. If you have tried this combo in the past, could you let me have your thoughts as I am contemplating getting a 4562 to try with the DAC and see how it goes but I don't want to waste time and money to do it if the combo sucks
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a heap Spanky and have a great weekend!

Best regards,
E.T.

Oct 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #1,843 of 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The headphone out on the A1 sounds incredibly much better as the one on the D1, even after opamp switching.
If you don"t need it as a dac, get the A1. Imho

Edit: Just read again and saw you ordered already. Get ready for some opamp rolling
wink.gif

I'll be using the D1 as a DAC. I'm ordering a WA3 or WA6 this week for my headphone amp.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
They are all in the same family, so that upgrade will primarily depend on what kind of sound you want. 

Looking for a greater sound stage.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #1,844 of 2,660
the WA3 or 6 should be great.
I'm very satisfied with the D1 as a DAC, and I'm keeping it for sure, it's great but i'm surprised. You usually don't see it together with a WA3 or so
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back