Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Oct 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #1,816 of 2,660
Hi, not all soundcard will have digital (optical/coax) line out. Certain soundcard will produce better signal quality for (optical/coax) as well so you will really need to be careful.

Yes, digital raw signal (including USB) will bypass the on board DAC and leaves the processing work to any external DAC.

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #1,819 of 2,660
Yep for that particular sound card.  Most sound card drivers are no better than onboard drivers so while it might have more features but for using it as a transport it is no different. For instance a bit matched output~ which for most cards are driver dependent.

That said not all sound card digital outputs are made the same.  I would reckon most are afterthoughts since the real show is using the cards dac functionality~  Then again it depends on how much stock you put into stuff like "jitter".

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #1,820 of 2,660

Quote:
OT, that is a Catalina C25 I bought and sailed for 4 years, sold, then bought a Catalina C27.  The C25 is the best of the two.  I sold the C27 and bought a 1958 Sparkman & Stevens 36' wood sailboat that was built in Norway.  I just sold that and am looking for my next project boat.  Out of the three, for jumping in the boat and going, the C25 was the best.

Nice!
The Sparkman & Stevens is something special! But also very time consuming. Very little 'jumping in and going' I assume
rolleyes.gif

Sorry guys, I'll try to stick to the topic from now on....

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #1,821 of 2,660

Quote:
Yep for that particular sound card.  Most sound card drivers are no better than onboard drivers so while it might have more features but for using it as a transport it is no different. For instance a bit matched output~ which for most cards are driver dependent.

That said not all sound card digital outputs are made the same.  I would reckon most are afterthoughts since the real show is using the cards dac functionality~  Then again it depends on how much stock you put into stuff like "jitter".

Some good reasons to just use the USB connection and not spend any money on a soundcard. And to buy some nice music instead!

And if you can get one for free, just try it and let us know about the results
L3000.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #1,822 of 2,660
It will always by-pass the board's DAC, it's pure raw digital data after all.

Quote:
Thanks guys.  Just talked to a friend that fixes PCs for a living at one of the major car companies here in Detroit and he is always collecting ANY that might be good in discared computers and he thinks he has a sound card with a coax I can have.

Can I assume that any sound card I get, the coax or Tos will by-pass the boards DAC?  I understand that is what happens with my USB connection.

I bought the Yamaha 1800 DVD/CD/SACD player 6 months ago.  It was only three months ago that I got around to buying a coax cable to hook it up to the D1.  Switching from that to the RCA inputs is night and day.

OT, that is a Catalina C25 I bought and sailed for 4 years, sold, then bought a Catalina C27.  The C25 is the best of the two.  I sold the C27 and bought a 1958 Sparkman & Stevens 36' wood sailboat that was built in Norway.  I just sold that and am looking for my next project boat.  Out of the three, for jumping in the boat and going, the C25 was the best.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #1,823 of 2,660

Quote:

Some good reasons to just use the USB connection and not spend any money on a soundcard. And to buy some nice music instead!

And if you can get one for free, just try it and let us know about the results
L3000.gif

I have and it sucks
wink.gif
  I don't like the USB on the mav, can't listen to my 24/96khz content in their full glory with it either.  I already have a sound card from before that works as a better transport so its no extra money for me, while at the same time works at all bit depths and sample rates.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,824 of 2,660

Quote:
I have and it sucks
wink.gif
  I don't like the USB on the mav, can't listen to my 24/96khz content in their full glory with it either.  

Just curious, what kind of 24/96 content do you have? 
I've seen some releases of Chesky and Water Lily that draw my attention, but have not yet bought anything. I do have some private live recordings at these sample rates. But to be honest, I find it just a waste of HD space. And they where recorded with some good equipment (Sennheiser, Shure and DPA mics and RME AD converters)

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #1,825 of 2,660
Primarily some high quality vinyl rips, gotta love the character in their imperfections.  I don't have any SACD's or anything like that.  I find down sampling to always be a detrimental effect
wink.gif
  I also hate resampling when I don't need to.  I rather let my DAC sort all of that stuff out.

As for USB vs Coax the difference exist but is slight.  I would agree that USB is an option if you have no other or are not one bit picky but if you do have an option it begs the question why not.  I do have one CD(well digital download) thats 16/48khz, the shatter sound track which sounds amazing might I add.  The price is right as well~

Quote:
Just curious, what kind of 24/96 content do you have? 
I've seen some releases of Chesky and Water Lily that draw my attention, but have not yet bought anything. I do have some private live recordings at these sample rates. But to be honest, I find it just a waste of HD space. And they where recorded with some good equipment (Sennheiser, Shure and DPA mics and RME AD converters)

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #1,826 of 2,660

Quote:
Primarily some high quality vinyl rips

I prefer to listen to my vinyl on my Mitchel Gyrodeck instead. No issues with SPDIF or USB whatsoever
biggrin.gif

BTW The discussion in this topic made me curious if my initial comparisons back in june are still valid. I think i'll spend some time during the weekend to do some more thorough tests!

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,827 of 2,660

Quote:

I prefer to listen to my vinyl on my Mitchel Gyrodeck instead. No issues with SPDIF or USB whatsoever
biggrin.gif

BTW The discussion in this topic made me curious if my initial comparisons back in june are still valid. I think i'll spend some time during the weekend to do some more thorough tests!

Don't doubt your initial comparisons based on someone else
wink.gif
Best way to drive yourself insane in a sea of placebo.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #1,828 of 2,660
halo all
smily_headphones1.gif

just buy MAV DAC D1

i am very happy

change the standart tube with NOS GE 5670W

@_Spanky_ , you said The LT1364 and LM4562 were a "perfect" combo that many people enjoyed

i already have LM4562 , can not fine LT1364  , can you give me option what can i change because not have LT1364

or every one in here give me option

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

ps : i am sorry my english not good

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,829 of 2,660

I believe Digikey in USA carries the Opamp you are looking for.

Quote:
halo all
smily_headphones1.gif

just buy MAV DAC D1

i am very happy

change the standart tube with NOS GE 5670W

@_Spanky_ , you said The LT1364 and LM4562 were a "perfect" combo that many people enjoyed

i already have LM4562 , can not fine LT1364  , can you give me option what can i change because not have LT1364

or every one in here give me option

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

ps : i am sorry my english not good

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #1,830 of 2,660
lepel, if I were you, I would just stick another LM4562 in there. They're known for having little to no DC offset so you shouldn't have a problem. Remember, one is for the DAC and the other is for the headphone amp section. I feel I also need to clarify that the tube is only for the RCA outputs on the back of the unit marked "tube".

*EDIT*
putz you are sneaky :p But, he's not in the US...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back