Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #214 of 289
Further clarification from Matrix.

The new driver added support of DSD256 and 32 bit for 2014 Mini-i Pro. At the same time, it may not display properly but it can be played normally. I'm so sorry that we will not release the new firmware update at present, and the 2014 Mini-i Pro could support the DSD256. Of course, the 32 bit enbale (I think she typed enable) to playback. 

Version 2014 and 2015 digital volume control method is the same, the digital volume control is a internal function of ES9016, we just use this function to achieve digital volume control, but whether it is conversion DSD/PCM internally to allow digital volume, I think you need to consult ESS company.

Best regards,
Wendy

Despite the incorrect display info, 2014 version works like 2015 version, old owner should be happy now. Regarding digital volume, it is available in both ES9018 / ES9016 as built-in feature, so Matrix (or any other brand) can decide to use or not to use, like its X-sabre has no physical volume control, Mini-i Pro can bypass volume control by entering pre-amp mode so it is volumeless like X-Sabre. So..... if there is internal volume control feature (with or without physical volume control), can we conclude that ES9018/9016 doing DSD/PCM conversion internally?
Almost all brands adopting ESS chip denied there is DSD/PCM conversion process. Yes, only ESS knows.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #215 of 289
Originally Posted by burdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Further clarification from Matrix.
Version 2014 and 2015 digital volume control method is the same, the digital volume control is a internal function of ES9016, we just use this function to achieve digital volume control, but whether it is conversion DSD/PCM internally to allow digital volume, I think you need to consult ESS company.

Hello,

How disappointing… What kind of answer is that? I'm afraid Matrix takes us for a bunch of idiots.

- it seems obvious that, apart the firmware, there is no difference between the so-called two versions of the Matrix pro.
- Of course there is a DSD/PCM conversion as Real DSD cannot have a digital volume control.

The only remaining question is : does the Pro really bypass this conversion when the "Dac mode" is activated?
(I hope so and I personally use it that way)

As for the 32 bit, they should activate it only in "DAC mode" (so that not to reduce the quality of the sound when using the digital volume control, as explained in a precedent post)… or give the option to use 24 bit or 32 bit mode.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #216 of 289

Hello,

How disappointing… What kind of answer is that? I'm afraid Matrix takes us for a bunch of idiots.

- it seems obvious that, apart the firmware, there is no difference between the so-called two versions of the Matrix pro.
- Of course there is a DSD/PCM conversion as Real DSD cannot have a digital volume control.

The only remaining question is : does the Pro really bypass this conversion when the "Dac mode" is activated?
(I hope so and I personally use it that way)

As for the 32 bit, they should activate it only in "DAC mode" (so that not to reduce the quality of the sound when using the digital volume control, as explained in a precedent post)… or give the option to use 24 bit or 32 bit mode.

I found the following processing flow for ess chip on DSD
DSD 1 bit> digital DSD 3 pole filter @ selectable 50,60 or 70kHz>6 bit output (SDM)> 6 bit DAC.
it was found on some forums that arguing native dsd processing on ess chip, it also mentioned that 1 bit > 6 bit sdm there is no loss or conversion of dsd data, and believe the digital volume took place in 6 bit DAC.
believe it or not there are still a lot of devices adopting ess solution to DSD, so we are not alone....

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #218 of 289
Hello,

The first Mini-i (certainly the 2012) isn't very interesting as the usb input is only 44.1 and 48kHz compatible…
Then there is the New Mini-i which is very fine apart it can't play DSD…
Both of the above have two Analog Devices AD1955 Dacs.

Then there is the New Mini-i Pro which can play DSD
(and have a ESS ES9016 Sabre Dac).

All three devices are similar in appearance.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #220 of 289
If you have (or buy) the old Mini-I with the AD1955 DAC chip and add this very well reviewed  Gustard USB->SPDIF converter http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251688780563?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=550594659334&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

it is an easy and inexpensive fix to add Hi Res & DSD -> USB capability. It is what I'm going to do at considerably less cost than buying a new DAC.

Matrix has their own converter but it's about $100 more and is smaller without a dedicated independent power supply (which the Gustard has).

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #221 of 289
I own an ODAC and Vali, and I'm now considering upgrade my DAC. Since I'm in China, it is more convenient to get Chinese stuffs (Yulong, Matrix). I have tried Yulong D100 and consider it's inferior to ODAC, and have sold it. So my option now is:

1. Modi 2 Uber.
2. Schiit Wyrd + ODAC.
3. Matrix Mini-i 2014
4. Matrix Mini-i pro.

ANY suggestion? Is the Matrix mini-i definite upgrade to ODAC?

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #223 of 289
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-MATRIX-Mini-i-24bit-384kHz-Balanced-DAC-Headphone-Amp-AD1955-Remote-Control-/261391110416

Says 2 x AD1955 with DSD

Incorrect description ? As ES9016 version only have DSD.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #224 of 289
So what's the consensus? I'm considering the new 2015 Pro model along with:

DacMagic Plus
Stealth DC-1
Parasound ZDAC
Music Hall DAC 25.3

Not using headphones though, just using it to go from Mac USB out to powered studio monitors. So having volume-adjustable, balanced XLR outputs is my main thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back